Re: [Hammock Camping] Re:Pros and Cons

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
      I'll second that! It got plenty windy on my last hammocking trip, and I really didn't sway at all. Sometimes I 'thought' I was swaying, and even if I was, it was only a little bit. I'm not that light myself (200 lbs.), so I'm not sure if that had to do with anything. I'll see the proof of the pudding I guess when I stick my three year old overnight in a hammock.

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
        Hey I have a Double ENO and the two person set up is mainly for 2 pal
        to sit in it. across way.
        2 pal in a hammock sleeping is a dif story. I can be done but its best
        to sleep head to foot.
        My wife and I have take a few naps in it and we were quite
        comply.
        I would love to give you a recent test but my wife is 8 months pregnant.

        It can be done you will just have to get nice and close

        Billy

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
          On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:26 PM, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:
          > For the most part you don't sway unless you want to. A lot of hangers enjoy swaying but to get the hammock to do it continuously it

          Last year I went out a lot with beginners and I remember they had this problem.
          One minute after entering the hammock I was perfectly still but some
          of them seemed to sway harder and harder (involuntarily).
          One of them even slept on the dirt for this reason.

          To keep to the subject I'll add my list of cons (already mentioned here):
          1. the need for trees (or other hanging spots). Even one can get
          inventive when traveling alone, this can be a problem for a group of
          hammockers outside of a forest.
          2. The thermal isolation is less efficient than on the ground.
          Especially if there is some air movement. Having said this, I have
          slept in the hammock in -20C temperatures during a light snowstorm
          without any discomfort.

          Apart from this two, I didn't found any other cons, but as some said -
          the hammock camping isn't for anyone.
          Also I found that in order to be comfortable in the hammock, one must
          learn to use it (more than with ground sleeping).

          gerzson
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
            The Hennessey Hammocks come with side bungies (elastic line) that act to
            dampen swings. They also spread out the hammock so it doesn't close up
            around you so much. With the hammock your DH uses, it should be easy to
            temporarily attach bungies to see if they help you (they would run from
            widest part of hammock to the ground). If they do, then you and your
            husband will have a great system.

            CL

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
              I personally was curious about the double nest as I'm trying to get the family into hammocks this summer. ;o) My wife and infant can take a hammock (we have yet to give this a try, so it's just hypothetical right now), I take another hammock and my three year old gets his own hammock. lol..hopefully I can work something out.

              Tom

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                Something I had considered while we waited for a hammock for my kids is setting up a ground pad and sleeping bag under and to the side of my claytor hammock under the speer winter tarp I've got. I could easily get myself (in a hammock) plus three or four more adults sleeping on the ground.