Re: [Hammock Camping] Re:Pros and Cons

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
      I'll second that! It got plenty windy on my last hammocking trip, and I really didn't sway at all. Sometimes I 'thought' I was swaying, and even if I was, it was only a little bit. I'm not that light myself (200 lbs.), so I'm not sure if that had to do with anything. I'll see the proof of the pudding I guess when I stick my three year old overnight in a hammock.

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
        Canobie,
        This option is pricy.
        I'd go this route for general car camping
        and canoe camping if price was not an issue.
        This is a triangular suspended tent
        system that weights about five
        It hangs above the ground on a platform that is stretched by ratchets
        between three trees.
        http://trease.biz/
        Several models to choose from.
        Rogene

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
          Hey I have a Double ENO and the two person set up is mainly for 2 pal
          to sit in it. across way.
          2 pal in a hammock sleeping is a dif story. I can be done but its best
          to sleep head to foot.
          My wife and I have take a few naps in it and we were quite
          comply.
          I would love to give you a recent test but my wife is 8 months pregnant.

          It can be done you will just have to get nice and close

          Billy

          The ENO double hammock supposedly allows two-people occupancy, though I
          haven't read anyone's report on how comfortable that would actually be.

          I'm going to make one for my wife and two children; I had originally
          thought about a double hammock set up myself, but then it just didn't
          seem like it would be too comfortable. An adult and an infant
          maybe...but two adults? Just seems too impractical to me.

          I too am totally new to this whole thing, however; I am more excited
          than a deer tick in a blood bank about it. I do a lot of canoe camping,
          hosting groups for 3-10 days of 8-12 people. I am always limited by tent
          spaces as we go down the river. I think hanging will help eliminate some
          of that, as my space can now be used by guests.

          As I have been investigating, the major drawback for me is my inability
          to cuddle up with my significant other. We are going to get two hammocks
          to hang our heads close and get a large rectangular tarp. I get my
          quarterly bonus Friday and will be ordering a Clayton JH and a Clayton
          Expedition with the large rectangular rain fly.

          Canoeing, ultra light is not a concern. Even with this "heavier"
          arrangement our combined weight is less than the Timberline we were
          using on the ground. We are very excited about hanging and will be
          headed to Northern Lower Michigan for a 4 day trip on Mother's Day
          weekend. In the meantime, I wall get some practice at home. Keep the
          feedback coming, you all and the Hammock Forum have been very helpful to
          this newbie.

          David

          aqua: Cenobite

          gingham <ginohav@yahoo. <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:
          Hakim's new to this group and love backpacking and stealth camping and
          I've heard all the pros about hammock camping, but what about the cons?
          I've read some people on other sites are worried about bears and flying
          bugs eating you alive in a hammock. I'm thinking of purchasing a Clark
          hammock as I don't have the time now for a DIY hammock. Every form of
          camping has it's pro's and con's, lets hear the con's. By the way I've
          had bears come right up to our tent look around then leave, so what's
          the problem others have had or think they might have in a hammock?
          Thanks

          Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and
          leadership development through outdoor adventure.

          "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall
          me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."

          Ralph Waldo Emerson

          http://www.riverjou <http://www.riverjourneys.org> rneys.org

          David and Cara Lawson Ball
          RiverJourneys Inc.
          70529 Martin Road
          Edwardsburg, MI 49112

          574-535-3623

        • gerzson
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
            On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:26 PM, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:
            > For the most part you don't sway unless you want to. A lot of hangers enjoy swaying but to get the hammock to do it continuously it

            Last year I went out a lot with beginners and I remember they had this problem.
            One minute after entering the hammock I was perfectly still but some
            of them seemed to sway harder and harder (involuntarily).
            One of them even slept on the dirt for this reason.

            To keep to the subject I'll add my list of cons (already mentioned here):
            1. the need for trees (or other hanging spots). Even one can get
            inventive when traveling alone, this can be a problem for a group of
            hammockers outside of a forest.
            2. The thermal isolation is less efficient than on the ground.
            Especially if there is some air movement. Having said this, I have
            slept in the hammock in -20C temperatures during a light snowstorm
            without any discomfort.

            Apart from this two, I didn't found any other cons, but as some said -
            the hammock camping isn't for anyone.
            Also I found that in order to be comfortable in the hammock, one must
            learn to use it (more than with ground sleeping).

            gerzson
          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
              The Hennessey Hammocks come with side bungies (elastic line) that act to
              dampen swings. They also spread out the hammock so it doesn't close up
              around you so much. With the hammock your DH uses, it should be easy to
              temporarily attach bungies to see if they help you (they would run from
              widest part of hammock to the ground). If they do, then you and your
              husband will have a great system.

              CL

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                I personally was curious about the double nest as I'm trying to get the family into hammocks this summer. ;o) My wife and infant can take a hammock (we have yet to give this a try, so it's just hypothetical right now), I take another hammock and my three year old gets his own hammock. lol..hopefully I can work something out.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                  Something I had considered while we waited for a hammock for my kids is setting up a ground pad and sleeping bag under and to the side of my claytor hammock under the speer winter tarp I've got. I could easily get myself (in a hammock) plus three or four more adults sleeping on the ground.