Re: [Hammock Camping] Pros and Cons

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
      The ENO double hammock supposedly allows two-people occupancy, though I haven't read anyone's report on how comfortable that would actually be.

      I'm going to make one for my wife and two children; I had originally thought about a double hammock set up myself, but then it just didn't seem like it would be too comfortable. An adult and an infant maybe...but two adults? Just seems too impracticle to me.

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
        I'll second that! It got plenty windy on my last hammocking trip, and I really didn't sway at all. Sometimes I 'thought' I was swaying, and even if I was, it was only a little bit. I'm not that light myself (200 lbs.), so I'm not sure if that had to do with anything. I'll see the proof of the pudding I guess when I stick my three year old overnight in a hammock.

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
          Canobie,
          This option is pricy.
          I'd go this route for general car camping
          and canoe camping if price was not an issue.
          This is a triangular suspended tent
          system that weights about five
          It hangs above the ground on a platform that is stretched by ratchets
          between three trees.
          http://trease.biz/
          Several models to choose from.
          Rogene

          >I too am totally new to this whole thing, however; I am more excited than a
          >deer tick in a blood bank about it. I do a lot of canoe camping, hosting
          >groups for 3-10 days of 8-12 people. I am always limited by tent spaces as
          >we go down the river. I think hanging will help eliminate some of that, as
          >my space can now be used by guests.
          >
          > As I have been investigating, the major drawback for me is my inability
          > to cuddle up with my significant other. We are going to get two hammocks
          > to hang our heads close and get a large rectangular tarp. I get my
          > quarterly bonus Friday and will be ordering a Claytor JH and a Claytor
          > Expedition with the large rectangular rain fly.
          >
          > Canoeing, ultra light is not a concern. Even with this "heavier"
          > arrangement our combined weight is less than the Timberline we were using
          > on the ground. We are very excited about hanging and will be headed to
          > Northern Lower Michigan for a 4 day trip on Mother's Day weekend. In the
          > meantime, I wll get some practice at home. Keep the feedback coming, you
          > all and the Hammock Forum have been very helpful to this newbie.
          >
          > David
          >
          > aka: Canoebie
          >
          > ginohav <ginohav@...> wrote:
          > Hi,I'm new to this group and love backpacking and stealth camping
          > and
          > I've heard all the pros about hammock camping, but what about the cons?
          > I've read some people on other sites are worried about bears and flying
          > bugs eating you alive in a hammock. I'm thinking of purchasing a clark
          > hammock as I don't have the time now for a DIY hammock. Every form of
          > camping has it's pro's and con's, lets hear the con's. By the way I've
          > had bears come right up to our tent look around then leave, so what's
          > the problem others have had or think they might have in a hammock?
          > Thanks
          >

          > Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and
          > leadership development through outdoor adventure.
          >

          > "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall
          > me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."
          >
          > Ralph Waldo Emerson
          >
          > http://www.riverjourneys.org
          >
          > David and Cara Lawson Ball
          > RiverJourneys Inc.
          > 70529 Martin Road
          > Edwardsburg, MI 49112
          >
          > 574-535-3623

        • Billy Chard
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
            Hey I have a Double ENO and the two person set up is mainly for 2 pal
            to sit in it. across way.
            2 pal in a hammock sleeping is a dif story. I can be done but its best
            to sleep head to foot.
            My wife and I have take a few naps in it and we were quite
            comply.
            I would love to give you a recent test but my wife is 8 months pregnant.

            It can be done you will just have to get nice and close

            Billy

            The ENO double hammock supposedly allows two-people occupancy, though I
            haven't read anyone's report on how comfortable that would actually be.

            I'm going to make one for my wife and two children; I had originally
            thought about a double hammock set up myself, but then it just didn't
            seem like it would be too comfortable. An adult and an infant
            maybe...but two adults? Just seems too impractical to me.

            I too am totally new to this whole thing, however; I am more excited
            than a deer tick in a blood bank about it. I do a lot of canoe camping,
            hosting groups for 3-10 days of 8-12 people. I am always limited by tent
            spaces as we go down the river. I think hanging will help eliminate some
            of that, as my space can now be used by guests.

            As I have been investigating, the major drawback for me is my inability
            to cuddle up with my significant other. We are going to get two hammocks
            to hang our heads close and get a large rectangular tarp. I get my
            quarterly bonus Friday and will be ordering a Clayton JH and a Clayton
            Expedition with the large rectangular rain fly.

            Canoeing, ultra light is not a concern. Even with this "heavier"
            arrangement our combined weight is less than the Timberline we were
            using on the ground. We are very excited about hanging and will be
            headed to Northern Lower Michigan for a 4 day trip on Mother's Day
            weekend. In the meantime, I wall get some practice at home. Keep the
            feedback coming, you all and the Hammock Forum have been very helpful to
            this newbie.

            David

            aqua: Cenobite

            gingham <ginohav@yahoo. <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:
            Hakim's new to this group and love backpacking and stealth camping and
            I've heard all the pros about hammock camping, but what about the cons?
            I've read some people on other sites are worried about bears and flying
            bugs eating you alive in a hammock. I'm thinking of purchasing a Clark
            hammock as I don't have the time now for a DIY hammock. Every form of
            camping has it's pro's and con's, lets hear the con's. By the way I've
            had bears come right up to our tent look around then leave, so what's
            the problem others have had or think they might have in a hammock?
            Thanks

            Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and
            leadership development through outdoor adventure.

            "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall
            me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."

            Ralph Waldo Emerson

            http://www.riverjou <http://www.riverjourneys.org> rneys.org

            David and Cara Lawson Ball
            RiverJourneys Inc.
            70529 Martin Road
            Edwardsburg, MI 49112

            574-535-3623

          • gerzson
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
              On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:26 PM, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:
              > For the most part you don't sway unless you want to. A lot of hangers enjoy swaying but to get the hammock to do it continuously it

              Last year I went out a lot with beginners and I remember they had this problem.
              One minute after entering the hammock I was perfectly still but some
              of them seemed to sway harder and harder (involuntarily).
              One of them even slept on the dirt for this reason.

              To keep to the subject I'll add my list of cons (already mentioned here):
              1. the need for trees (or other hanging spots). Even one can get
              inventive when traveling alone, this can be a problem for a group of
              hammockers outside of a forest.
              2. The thermal isolation is less efficient than on the ground.
              Especially if there is some air movement. Having said this, I have
              slept in the hammock in -20C temperatures during a light snowstorm
              without any discomfort.

              Apart from this two, I didn't found any other cons, but as some said -
              the hammock camping isn't for anyone.
              Also I found that in order to be comfortable in the hammock, one must
              learn to use it (more than with ground sleeping).

              gerzson
            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                The Hennessey Hammocks come with side bungies (elastic line) that act to
                dampen swings. They also spread out the hammock so it doesn't close up
                around you so much. With the hammock your DH uses, it should be easy to
                temporarily attach bungies to see if they help you (they would run from
                widest part of hammock to the ground). If they do, then you and your
                husband will have a great system.

                CL

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                  I personally was curious about the double nest as I'm trying to get the family into hammocks this summer. ;o) My wife and infant can take a hammock (we have yet to give this a try, so it's just hypothetical right now), I take another hammock and my three year old gets his own hammock. lol..hopefully I can work something out.

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                    Something I had considered while we waited for a hammock for my kids is setting up a ground pad and sleeping bag under and to the side of my claytor hammock under the speer winter tarp I've got. I could easily get myself (in a hammock) plus three or four more adults sleeping on the ground.