Re: [Hammock Camping] Pros and Cons

  • david ball
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
      I too am totally new to this whole thing, however; I am more excited than a deer tick in a blood bank about it. I do a lot of canoe camping, hosting groups for 3-10 days of 8-12 people. I am always limited by tent spaces as we go down the river. I think hanging will help eliminate some of that, as my space can now be used by guests.

      As I have been investigating, the major drawback for me is my inability to cuddle up with my significant other. We are going to get two hammocks to hang our heads close and get a large rectangular tarp. I get my quarterly bonus Friday and will be ordering a Claytor JH and a Claytor Expedition with the large rectangular rain fly.

      Canoeing, ultra light is not a concern. Even with this "heavier" arrangement our combined weight is less than the Timberline we were using on the ground. We are very excited about hanging and will be headed to Northern Lower Michigan for a 4 day trip on Mother's Day weekend. In the meantime, I wll get some practice at home. Keep the feedback coming, you all and the Hammock Forum have been very helpful to this newbie.

      David

      aka: Canoebie

      ginohav <ginohav@...> wrote:
      Hi,I'm new to this group and love backpacking and stealth camping and
      I've heard all the pros about hammock camping, but what about the cons?
      I've read some people on other sites are worried about bears and flying
      bugs eating you alive in a hammock. I'm thinking of purchasing a clark
      hammock as I don't have the time now for a DIY hammock. Every form of
      camping has it's pro's and con's, lets hear the con's. By the way I've
      had bears come right up to our tent look around then leave, so what's
      the problem others have had or think they might have in a hammock?
      Thanks

      Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

      "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."

      Ralph Waldo Emerson

      http://www.riverjourneys.org

      David and Cara Lawson Ball
      RiverJourneys Inc.
      70529 Martin Road
      Edwardsburg, MI 49112

      574-535-3623

    • pure mahem
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
        For the most part you don't sway unless you want to. A lot of hangers enjoy swaying but to get the hammock to do it continuously it really doesn't happen unless you tie your self a line to pull on. Only swaying I get is when I get in or when I'm using my hammock as a chair and rock with my legs. I can't recall ever really even being swayed by strong winds but then again I'm not exactly a light weight on the scale.

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
          I purchased a claytor for the exact same reason. Later, I'm going to make a claytor-clone or something similar with a few more features that I want (integrated underquilt/weathershield); the one thing that I'm disapointed with on the claytor design, and that's the fact that he uses "mosquito" netting and not "no-see-um" netting, which is small enough to keep the little no-see-um bugs away. Though, I've only had mosquitos try to enter the hammock thus far, so no really issues with what I consider one of the few, if only, minor flaw[s] of the claytor.

          Cons? Number one on that list is "cold", for sure. Have to get creative if you're taking a hammock out in anything but nice, warm weather (also depending upon how warm you sleep). The trouble I had with my byer is that the material was oh-so-thin (so it was light to pack!) but that thinness let the cold air sink right into my lower back. Not fun!

          I think that most other cons will be specific to the style of hammock you buy. For example, my byer was only 7 feet long. Waaaay too short for me. My pad--coldweather use--also kept sliding sideways into a completely perpedicular configuration so that my head and my feet were covered in netting. That's another reason why I decided to go ahead with the purchase of the ready-made claytor hammock: it's 9' ft. 9" inches...plenty long enough.

          Hammocking in general...I think a "con" for me is that even though I've been camping since I was 4 years old and worked hard to develop a light 'tent camping' set up, I now have to start from the beginning and learn nearly everything anew. So there's a learning curve associated with hammock camping, as there is with anything new we pick up. Easy way to overcome this is to ask questions, see what others have done, and use the resources at hammockforums.net.

          The second night out with my claytor I was trying to pitch close to my brother's tent and the fire he had made...which made my choices less than perfect. I ended up pitching my SWT part way around the large trees I was tying to. What resulted is the loss of about a foot or two from my ridgeline. Which took about a foot away from my claytor hammock which in turn resulted in the hammock having more sag than I would have liked and I had to angle myself even more than I would have had I actually hung it in a space it would actually fit in...thus, my sides got cold because I ended up hanging off the pad a little bit...I was still able to get to sleep, but I did have to deal with the cold-sides issue...made me envious of those underquilt users out there! I'll get/make one soon enough though!

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
            The ENO double hammock supposedly allows two-people occupancy, though I haven't read anyone's report on how comfortable that would actually be.

            I'm going to make one for my wife and two children; I had originally thought about a double hammock set up myself, but then it just didn't seem like it would be too comfortable. An adult and an infant maybe...but two adults? Just seems too impracticle to me.

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
              I'll second that! It got plenty windy on my last hammocking trip, and I really didn't sway at all. Sometimes I 'thought' I was swaying, and even if I was, it was only a little bit. I'm not that light myself (200 lbs.), so I'm not sure if that had to do with anything. I'll see the proof of the pudding I guess when I stick my three year old overnight in a hammock.

              --
              Sew soon,
              Mary McMonagle
              State College, PA ASG President

            • C C Wayah
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                Canobie,
                This option is pricy.
                I'd go this route for general car camping
                and canoe camping if price was not an issue.
                This is a triangular suspended tent
                system that weights about five
                It hangs above the ground on a platform that is stretched by ratchets
                between three trees.
                http://trease.biz/
                Several models to choose from.
                Rogene

                >I too am totally new to this whole thing, however; I am more excited than a
                >deer tick in a blood bank about it. I do a lot of canoe camping, hosting
                >groups for 3-10 days of 8-12 people. I am always limited by tent spaces as
                >we go down the river. I think hanging will help eliminate some of that, as
                >my space can now be used by guests.
                >
                > As I have been investigating, the major drawback for me is my inability
                > to cuddle up with my significant other. We are going to get two hammocks
                > to hang our heads close and get a large rectangular tarp. I get my
                > quarterly bonus Friday and will be ordering a Claytor JH and a Claytor
                > Expedition with the large rectangular rain fly.
                >
                > Canoeing, ultra light is not a concern. Even with this "heavier"
                > arrangement our combined weight is less than the Timberline we were using
                > on the ground. We are very excited about hanging and will be headed to
                > Northern Lower Michigan for a 4 day trip on Mother's Day weekend. In the
                > meantime, I wll get some practice at home. Keep the feedback coming, you
                > all and the Hammock Forum have been very helpful to this newbie.
                >
                > David
                >
                > aka: Canoebie
                >
                > ginohav <ginohav@...> wrote:
                > Hi,I'm new to this group and love backpacking and stealth camping
                > and
                > I've heard all the pros about hammock camping, but what about the cons?
                > I've read some people on other sites are worried about bears and flying
                > bugs eating you alive in a hammock. I'm thinking of purchasing a clark
                > hammock as I don't have the time now for a DIY hammock. Every form of
                > camping has it's pro's and con's, lets hear the con's. By the way I've
                > had bears come right up to our tent look around then leave, so what's
                > the problem others have had or think they might have in a hammock?
                > Thanks
                >

                > Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and
                > leadership development through outdoor adventure.
                >

                > "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall
                > me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."
                >
                > Ralph Waldo Emerson
                >
                > http://www.riverjourneys.org
                >
                > David and Cara Lawson Ball
                > RiverJourneys Inc.
                > 70529 Martin Road
                > Edwardsburg, MI 49112
                >
                > 574-535-3623

              • Billy Chard
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                  Hey I have a Double ENO and the two person set up is mainly for 2 pal
                  to sit in it. across way.
                  2 pal in a hammock sleeping is a dif story. I can be done but its best
                  to sleep head to foot.
                  My wife and I have take a few naps in it and we were quite
                  comply.
                  I would love to give you a recent test but my wife is 8 months pregnant.

                  It can be done you will just have to get nice and close

                  Billy

                  The ENO double hammock supposedly allows two-people occupancy, though I
                  haven't read anyone's report on how comfortable that would actually be.

                  I'm going to make one for my wife and two children; I had originally
                  thought about a double hammock set up myself, but then it just didn't
                  seem like it would be too comfortable. An adult and an infant
                  maybe...but two adults? Just seems too impractical to me.

                  I too am totally new to this whole thing, however; I am more excited
                  than a deer tick in a blood bank about it. I do a lot of canoe camping,
                  hosting groups for 3-10 days of 8-12 people. I am always limited by tent
                  spaces as we go down the river. I think hanging will help eliminate some
                  of that, as my space can now be used by guests.

                  As I have been investigating, the major drawback for me is my inability
                  to cuddle up with my significant other. We are going to get two hammocks
                  to hang our heads close and get a large rectangular tarp. I get my
                  quarterly bonus Friday and will be ordering a Clayton JH and a Clayton
                  Expedition with the large rectangular rain fly.

                  Canoeing, ultra light is not a concern. Even with this "heavier"
                  arrangement our combined weight is less than the Timberline we were
                  using on the ground. We are very excited about hanging and will be
                  headed to Northern Lower Michigan for a 4 day trip on Mother's Day
                  weekend. In the meantime, I wall get some practice at home. Keep the
                  feedback coming, you all and the Hammock Forum have been very helpful to
                  this newbie.

                  David

                  aqua: Cenobite

                  gingham <ginohav@yahoo. <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:
                  Hakim's new to this group and love backpacking and stealth camping and
                  I've heard all the pros about hammock camping, but what about the cons?
                  I've read some people on other sites are worried about bears and flying
                  bugs eating you alive in a hammock. I'm thinking of purchasing a Clark
                  hammock as I don't have the time now for a DIY hammock. Every form of
                  camping has it's pro's and con's, lets hear the con's. By the way I've
                  had bears come right up to our tent look around then leave, so what's
                  the problem others have had or think they might have in a hammock?
                  Thanks

                  Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and
                  leadership development through outdoor adventure.

                  "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall
                  me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."

                  Ralph Waldo Emerson

                  http://www.riverjou <http://www.riverjourneys.org> rneys.org

                  David and Cara Lawson Ball
                  RiverJourneys Inc.
                  70529 Martin Road
                  Edwardsburg, MI 49112

                  574-535-3623

                • gerzson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                    On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:26 PM, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:
                    > For the most part you don't sway unless you want to. A lot of hangers enjoy swaying but to get the hammock to do it continuously it

                    Last year I went out a lot with beginners and I remember they had this problem.
                    One minute after entering the hammock I was perfectly still but some
                    of them seemed to sway harder and harder (involuntarily).
                    One of them even slept on the dirt for this reason.

                    To keep to the subject I'll add my list of cons (already mentioned here):
                    1. the need for trees (or other hanging spots). Even one can get
                    inventive when traveling alone, this can be a problem for a group of
                    hammockers outside of a forest.
                    2. The thermal isolation is less efficient than on the ground.
                    Especially if there is some air movement. Having said this, I have
                    slept in the hammock in -20C temperatures during a light snowstorm
                    without any discomfort.

                    Apart from this two, I didn't found any other cons, but as some said -
                    the hammock camping isn't for anyone.
                    Also I found that in order to be comfortable in the hammock, one must
                    learn to use it (more than with ground sleeping).

                    gerzson
                  • Cara Lin Bridgman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                      The Hennessey Hammocks come with side bungies (elastic line) that act to
                      dampen swings. They also spread out the hammock so it doesn't close up
                      around you so much. With the hammock your DH uses, it should be easy to
                      temporarily attach bungies to see if they help you (they would run from
                      widest part of hammock to the ground). If they do, then you and your
                      husband will have a great system.

                      CL

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                        I personally was curious about the double nest as I'm trying to get the family into hammocks this summer. ;o) My wife and infant can take a hammock (we have yet to give this a try, so it's just hypothetical right now), I take another hammock and my three year old gets his own hammock. lol..hopefully I can work something out.

                        Tom

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                          Something I had considered while we waited for a hammock for my kids is setting up a ground pad and sleeping bag under and to the side of my claytor hammock under the speer winter tarp I've got. I could easily get myself (in a hammock) plus three or four more adults sleeping on the ground.