Re: [Hammock Camping] Pros and Cons

  • david ball
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
      I too am totally new to this whole thing, however; I am more excited than a deer tick in a blood bank about it. I do a lot of canoe camping, hosting groups for 3-10 days of 8-12 people. I am always limited by tent spaces as we go down the river. I think hanging will help eliminate some of that, as my space can now be used by guests.

      As I have been investigating, the major drawback for me is my inability to cuddle up with my significant other. We are going to get two hammocks to hang our heads close and get a large rectangular tarp. I get my quarterly bonus Friday and will be ordering a Claytor JH and a Claytor Expedition with the large rectangular rain fly.

      Canoeing, ultra light is not a concern. Even with this "heavier" arrangement our combined weight is less than the Timberline we were using on the ground. We are very excited about hanging and will be headed to Northern Lower Michigan for a 4 day trip on Mother's Day weekend. In the meantime, I wll get some practice at home. Keep the feedback coming, you all and the Hammock Forum have been very helpful to this newbie.

      David

      aka: Canoebie

      ginohav <ginohav@...> wrote:
      Hi,I'm new to this group and love backpacking and stealth camping and
      I've heard all the pros about hammock camping, but what about the cons?
      I've read some people on other sites are worried about bears and flying
      bugs eating you alive in a hammock. I'm thinking of purchasing a clark
      hammock as I don't have the time now for a DIY hammock. Every form of
      camping has it's pro's and con's, lets hear the con's. By the way I've
      had bears come right up to our tent look around then leave, so what's
      the problem others have had or think they might have in a hammock?
      Thanks

      Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

      "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."

      Ralph Waldo Emerson

      http://www.riverjourneys.org

      David and Cara Lawson Ball
      RiverJourneys Inc.
      70529 Martin Road
      Edwardsburg, MI 49112

      574-535-3623

    • Mary McMonagle
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
        > YMMV. Hammock's are not for everyone, even if there are trees. I don't know
        > why not since I love it,
        > Happy hanging!
        > Carey
        I'm on this list for info for DH and ds. I'm one that won't hammock. I
        can't stand the movement, and I don't normally get motion sick. Even
        sleeping under ds, who loves to sway, makes me sick listening to him
        swaying. I do like the protection of his tarp though.

        --
        Sew soon,
        Mary McMonagle
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
          For the most part you don't sway unless you want to. A lot of hangers enjoy swaying but to get the hammock to do it continuously it really doesn't happen unless you tie your self a line to pull on. Only swaying I get is when I get in or when I'm using my hammock as a chair and rock with my legs. I can't recall ever really even being swayed by strong winds but then again I'm not exactly a light weight on the scale.

          > YMMV. Hammock's are not for everyone, even if there are trees. I don't know
          > why not since I love it,
          > Happy hanging!
          > Carey
          I'm on this list for info for DH and ds. I'm one that won't hammock. I
          can't stand the movement, and I don't normally get motion sick. Even
          sleeping under ds, who loves to sway, makes me sick listening to him
          swaying. I do like the protection of his tarp though.

          --
          Sew soon,
          Mary McMonagle
          State College, PA ASG President

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
            I purchased a claytor for the exact same reason. Later, I'm going to make a claytor-clone or something similar with a few more features that I want (integrated underquilt/weathershield); the one thing that I'm disapointed with on the claytor design, and that's the fact that he uses "mosquito" netting and not "no-see-um" netting, which is small enough to keep the little no-see-um bugs away. Though, I've only had mosquitos try to enter the hammock thus far, so no really issues with what I consider one of the few, if only, minor flaw[s] of the claytor.

            Cons? Number one on that list is "cold", for sure. Have to get creative if you're taking a hammock out in anything but nice, warm weather (also depending upon how warm you sleep). The trouble I had with my byer is that the material was oh-so-thin (so it was light to pack!) but that thinness let the cold air sink right into my lower back. Not fun!

            I think that most other cons will be specific to the style of hammock you buy. For example, my byer was only 7 feet long. Waaaay too short for me. My pad--coldweather use--also kept sliding sideways into a completely perpedicular configuration so that my head and my feet were covered in netting. That's another reason why I decided to go ahead with the purchase of the ready-made claytor hammock: it's 9' ft. 9" inches...plenty long enough.

            Hammocking in general...I think a "con" for me is that even though I've been camping since I was 4 years old and worked hard to develop a light 'tent camping' set up, I now have to start from the beginning and learn nearly everything anew. So there's a learning curve associated with hammock camping, as there is with anything new we pick up. Easy way to overcome this is to ask questions, see what others have done, and use the resources at hammockforums.net.

            The second night out with my claytor I was trying to pitch close to my brother's tent and the fire he had made...which made my choices less than perfect. I ended up pitching my SWT part way around the large trees I was tying to. What resulted is the loss of about a foot or two from my ridgeline. Which took about a foot away from my claytor hammock which in turn resulted in the hammock having more sag than I would have liked and I had to angle myself even more than I would have had I actually hung it in a space it would actually fit in...thus, my sides got cold because I ended up hanging off the pad a little bit...I was still able to get to sleep, but I did have to deal with the cold-sides issue...made me envious of those underquilt users out there! I'll get/make one soon enough though!

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
              The ENO double hammock supposedly allows two-people occupancy, though I haven't read anyone's report on how comfortable that would actually be.

              I'm going to make one for my wife and two children; I had originally thought about a double hammock set up myself, but then it just didn't seem like it would be too comfortable. An adult and an infant maybe...but two adults? Just seems too impracticle to me.

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                I'll second that! It got plenty windy on my last hammocking trip, and I really didn't sway at all. Sometimes I 'thought' I was swaying, and even if I was, it was only a little bit. I'm not that light myself (200 lbs.), so I'm not sure if that had to do with anything. I'll see the proof of the pudding I guess when I stick my three year old overnight in a hammock.

                For the most part you don't sway unless you want to. A lot of hangers enjoy swaying but to get the hammock to do it continuously it really doesn't happen unless you tie your self a line to pull on. Only swaying I get is when I get in or when I'm using my hammock as a chair and rock with my legs. I can't recall ever really even being swayed by strong winds but then again I'm not exactly a light weight on the scale.

                > YMMV. Hammock's are not for everyone, even if there are trees. I don't know
                > why not since I love it,
                > Happy hanging!
                > Carey
                I'm on this list for info for DH and ds. I'm one that won't hammock. I
                can't stand the movement, and I don't normally get motion sick. Even
                sleeping under ds, who loves to sway, makes me sick listening to him
                swaying. I do like the protection of his tarp though.

                --
                Sew soon,
                Mary McMonagle
                State College, PA ASG President

              • C C Wayah
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                  Canobie,
                  This option is pricy.
                  I'd go this route for general car camping
                  and canoe camping if price was not an issue.
                  This is a triangular suspended tent
                  system that weights about five
                  It hangs above the ground on a platform that is stretched by ratchets
                  between three trees.
                  http://trease.biz/
                  Several models to choose from.
                  Rogene

                  >I too am totally new to this whole thing, however; I am more excited than a
                  >deer tick in a blood bank about it. I do a lot of canoe camping, hosting
                  >groups for 3-10 days of 8-12 people. I am always limited by tent spaces as
                  >we go down the river. I think hanging will help eliminate some of that, as
                  >my space can now be used by guests.
                  >
                  > As I have been investigating, the major drawback for me is my inability
                  > to cuddle up with my significant other. We are going to get two hammocks
                  > to hang our heads close and get a large rectangular tarp. I get my
                  > quarterly bonus Friday and will be ordering a Claytor JH and a Claytor
                  > Expedition with the large rectangular rain fly.
                  >
                  > Canoeing, ultra light is not a concern. Even with this "heavier"
                  > arrangement our combined weight is less than the Timberline we were using
                  > on the ground. We are very excited about hanging and will be headed to
                  > Northern Lower Michigan for a 4 day trip on Mother's Day weekend. In the
                  > meantime, I wll get some practice at home. Keep the feedback coming, you
                  > all and the Hammock Forum have been very helpful to this newbie.
                  >
                  > David
                  >
                  > aka: Canoebie
                  >
                  > ginohav <ginohav@...> wrote:
                  > Hi,I'm new to this group and love backpacking and stealth camping
                  > and
                  > I've heard all the pros about hammock camping, but what about the cons?
                  > I've read some people on other sites are worried about bears and flying
                  > bugs eating you alive in a hammock. I'm thinking of purchasing a clark
                  > hammock as I don't have the time now for a DIY hammock. Every form of
                  > camping has it's pro's and con's, lets hear the con's. By the way I've
                  > had bears come right up to our tent look around then leave, so what's
                  > the problem others have had or think they might have in a hammock?
                  > Thanks
                  >

                  > Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and
                  > leadership development through outdoor adventure.
                  >

                  > "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall
                  > me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."
                  >
                  > Ralph Waldo Emerson
                  >
                  > http://www.riverjourneys.org
                  >
                  > David and Cara Lawson Ball
                  > RiverJourneys Inc.
                  > 70529 Martin Road
                  > Edwardsburg, MI 49112
                  >
                  > 574-535-3623

                • Billy Chard
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                    Hey I have a Double ENO and the two person set up is mainly for 2 pal
                    to sit in it. across way.
                    2 pal in a hammock sleeping is a dif story. I can be done but its best
                    to sleep head to foot.
                    My wife and I have take a few naps in it and we were quite
                    comply.
                    I would love to give you a recent test but my wife is 8 months pregnant.

                    It can be done you will just have to get nice and close

                    Billy

                    The ENO double hammock supposedly allows two-people occupancy, though I
                    haven't read anyone's report on how comfortable that would actually be.

                    I'm going to make one for my wife and two children; I had originally
                    thought about a double hammock set up myself, but then it just didn't
                    seem like it would be too comfortable. An adult and an infant
                    maybe...but two adults? Just seems too impractical to me.

                    I too am totally new to this whole thing, however; I am more excited
                    than a deer tick in a blood bank about it. I do a lot of canoe camping,
                    hosting groups for 3-10 days of 8-12 people. I am always limited by tent
                    spaces as we go down the river. I think hanging will help eliminate some
                    of that, as my space can now be used by guests.

                    As I have been investigating, the major drawback for me is my inability
                    to cuddle up with my significant other. We are going to get two hammocks
                    to hang our heads close and get a large rectangular tarp. I get my
                    quarterly bonus Friday and will be ordering a Clayton JH and a Clayton
                    Expedition with the large rectangular rain fly.

                    Canoeing, ultra light is not a concern. Even with this "heavier"
                    arrangement our combined weight is less than the Timberline we were
                    using on the ground. We are very excited about hanging and will be
                    headed to Northern Lower Michigan for a 4 day trip on Mother's Day
                    weekend. In the meantime, I wall get some practice at home. Keep the
                    feedback coming, you all and the Hammock Forum have been very helpful to
                    this newbie.

                    David

                    aqua: Cenobite

                    gingham <ginohav@yahoo. <mailto:ginohav%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:
                    Hakim's new to this group and love backpacking and stealth camping and
                    I've heard all the pros about hammock camping, but what about the cons?
                    I've read some people on other sites are worried about bears and flying
                    bugs eating you alive in a hammock. I'm thinking of purchasing a Clark
                    hammock as I don't have the time now for a DIY hammock. Every form of
                    camping has it's pro's and con's, lets hear the con's. By the way I've
                    had bears come right up to our tent look around then leave, so what's
                    the problem others have had or think they might have in a hammock?
                    Thanks

                    Working for our customers providing personal growth, team building and
                    leadership development through outdoor adventure.

                    "In the woods we return to reason and faith...there nothing will befall
                    me, no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair..."

                    Ralph Waldo Emerson

                    http://www.riverjou <http://www.riverjourneys.org> rneys.org

                    David and Cara Lawson Ball
                    RiverJourneys Inc.
                    70529 Martin Road
                    Edwardsburg, MI 49112

                    574-535-3623

                  • gerzson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                      On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:26 PM, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:
                      > For the most part you don't sway unless you want to. A lot of hangers enjoy swaying but to get the hammock to do it continuously it

                      Last year I went out a lot with beginners and I remember they had this problem.
                      One minute after entering the hammock I was perfectly still but some
                      of them seemed to sway harder and harder (involuntarily).
                      One of them even slept on the dirt for this reason.

                      To keep to the subject I'll add my list of cons (already mentioned here):
                      1. the need for trees (or other hanging spots). Even one can get
                      inventive when traveling alone, this can be a problem for a group of
                      hammockers outside of a forest.
                      2. The thermal isolation is less efficient than on the ground.
                      Especially if there is some air movement. Having said this, I have
                      slept in the hammock in -20C temperatures during a light snowstorm
                      without any discomfort.

                      Apart from this two, I didn't found any other cons, but as some said -
                      the hammock camping isn't for anyone.
                      Also I found that in order to be comfortable in the hammock, one must
                      learn to use it (more than with ground sleeping).

                      gerzson
                    • Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                        The Hennessey Hammocks come with side bungies (elastic line) that act to
                        dampen swings. They also spread out the hammock so it doesn't close up
                        around you so much. With the hammock your DH uses, it should be easy to
                        temporarily attach bungies to see if they help you (they would run from
                        widest part of hammock to the ground). If they do, then you and your
                        husband will have a great system.

                        CL

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                          I personally was curious about the double nest as I'm trying to get the family into hammocks this summer. ;o) My wife and infant can take a hammock (we have yet to give this a try, so it's just hypothetical right now), I take another hammock and my three year old gets his own hammock. lol..hopefully I can work something out.

                          Tom

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                            Something I had considered while we waited for a hammock for my kids is setting up a ground pad and sleeping bag under and to the side of my claytor hammock under the speer winter tarp I've got. I could easily get myself (in a hammock) plus three or four more adults sleeping on the ground.