Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: ,Newbie

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 7 3:35 AM
      sounds like you've got things under control. good report!
      with a little more practice on getting that tarp the way you want it & maybe a segmented pad extender (SPE) to protect your sides from the cold, you'll be in great shape!

      Tom Frazier <wildewudu@...> wrote:
      Well,

      Just got back from a weekend jaunt in the mountains. My brother and I drove as far as we could (in my little POS car), until we hit a snow cover of 3' feet on the road...luckily, there was a decent place to camp. I brought my Claytor hammock with the Speer Winter Tarp, a 4L thermarest for undercover and a +15 rated Marmot Sawtooth down sleeping bag with some heating packs for just in case (and to warm my "bed" while I'm not in it).

      The Claytor has worked much as I expected it. We have some very interesting weather in our mountains....we got rained on several times, hailed on twice, gusts of strong wind threatened to take my 1.1 oz. silnylon SWT and we were snowed (great big fluffy flakes) on at least three different occasions.

      Even though it was pretty cold, I was able to stay warm with just the pad and the sleeping bag, without any problems. Since I didn't have the wrap-around sort of DIY pad, sometimes my sides got a taste of the cold outside, It didn't help that I ended up pitching the SWT a little too high, which allowed more wind to blow in under the bottom of the tarp...need more practice! The tarp is great for cutting the wind and I used the DIY bungee tensioners to deal with any possible wind gusts (which we did have!); everything worked great.

      I purchased a pair of those REI schwag bags to clip onto the loops under the netting spreader...worked great for storing my glasses and misc. items I had in my pockets. I used the figure 9's for the tarp tie outs...I really love these things too. I originally bought a few to use with the claytor diamond tarp, but decided that it'd be easier just to used tensioner knots instead, since I'd really only be dealing with two side tie outs. So far, I think tarp tents are the way to go. I love these things...for the ability to cut the cut and to maintain privacy...which is the one thing I would have missed about tents!

      Tom

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 7 2:58 PM
        That's actually what I was thinking of when my sides got cold. It doesn't look hard to make and I got myself a new Viking Emerald 116 I got just to play around with little projects like this...maybe I'll give it a shot and see what I get. ;o)

        I was worried about the possibility of getting cold, so I even brought along an extra ccf pad just in case...lol...ended up using it as a floor pad instead.