[Hammock Camping] Re: ,Newbie

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
      You did great, that was challenging weather for anyone and especially
      with a hammock.

      Some people use the Speer Segmented Pad Extender to help with getting
      and keeping insulation in place for their shoulders
      http://speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm . There are obviously other
      ways to do it but that is a pretty easy and trouble free approach.
      You can load the wings with clothing, pads, or whatever to extend the
      width of your 20 inch wide pads and you can stack multiple pads with
      it as well if you need to do that.

      Dave Womble
      aka Youngblood AT2000
      WinterTarp

      > Well,
      >

      > Just got back from a weekend jaunt in the mountains. My brother and
      I drove as far as we could (in my little POS car), until we hit a snow
      cover of 3' feet on the road...luckily, there was a decent place to
      camp. I brought my Claytor hammock with the Speer Winter Tarp, a 4L
      thermarest for undercover and a +15 rated Marmot Sawtooth down
      sleeping bag with some heating packs for just in case (and to warm my
      "bed" while I'm not in it).

      > The Claytor has worked much as I expected it. We have some very
      interesting weather in our mountains....we got rained on several
      times, hailed on twice, gusts of strong wind threatened to take my 1.1
      oz. silnylon SWT and we were snowed (great big fluffy flakes) on at
      least three different occasions.

      > Even though it was pretty cold, I was able to stay warm with just
      the pad and the sleeping bag, without any problems. Since I didn't
      have the wrap-around sort of DIY pad, sometimes my sides got a taste
      of the cold outside, It didn't help that I ended up pitching the SWT a
      little too high, which allowed more wind to blow in under the bottom
      of the tarp...need more practice! The tarp is great for cutting the
      wind and I used the DIY bungee tensioners to deal with any possible
      wind gusts (which we did have!); everything worked great.

      > I purchased a pair of those REI schwag bags to clip onto the loops
      under the netting spreader...worked great for storing my glasses and
      misc. items I had in my pockets. I used the figure 9's for the tarp
      tie outs...I really love these things too. I originally bought a few
      to use with the claytor diamond tarp, but decided that it'd be easier
      just to used tensioner knots instead, since I'd really only be dealing
      with two side tie outs. So far, I think tarp tents are the way to go.
      I love these things...for the ability to cut the cut and to maintain
      privacy...which is the one thing I would have missed about tents!

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
          That's actually what I was thinking of when my sides got cold. It doesn't look hard to make and I got myself a new Viking Emerald 116 I got just to play around with little projects like this...maybe I'll give it a shot and see what I get. ;o)

          I was worried about the possibility of getting cold, so I even brought along an extra ccf pad just in case...lol...ended up using it as a floor pad instead.