[Hammock Camping] Re: ,Newbie

  • ddahlen123
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 26, 2008

      > I just got my claytor yesterday and took it outside for a lazy
      afternoon test. After inspecting the stitches (which came undone on my
      cheap byer) I"m very pleased. Good craftsmanship. So much more comfy
      than the byer..I have a home-made one too and though the claytor isn't
      as wide, the 9ft 9in length makes it easy to lay flat in it.

      > So far, I have to say I love the thing. I'm going to go spring
      camping in the mountains in two weeks to see how it performs. I look
      forward to seeing how well the hammock performs. I have yet to be able
      to actually sleep in one....I almost had a full night's sleep in the
      byer ...but I kept having to struggle with the sleep pad I was using
      (Thermarest 4L) and ended up perpendicular to the ridgeline...which
      stretched out the bugnet and probably had something to do with
      weakening it.

      > I slept in the claytor hammock ground-style last night...it's okay
      for that purpose, and nice that I an use it as a ground tent, though
      the netting was a little close to my face used this way. Still, I love
      the thing and can't wait to get some *real* use out of it. I'm using
      their stock tarp and a Speer Winter Tarp (SWT) for more wind
      protection. I've tried pitching them both and they're both great,
      though the tarp that comes with my claytor is nearly twice the weight
      (and half as big) as the Winter Tarp....I figure I'll use the claytor
      for more summer months and the SWT for the spring and fall
      months...maybe winter one of these days too.

      > Tom

      keep us posted as to the out come in two weeks. I have an HH - been
      using it the past three years mainly for the BWCA area. I 'm
      interested in the Claytor mosquitohammock.
      ------------Dick Dahlen southern Minnnesota

    • Tom Frazier
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 6 7:57 PM
        Well,

        Just got back from a weekend jaunt in the mountains. My brother and I drove as far as we could (in my little POS car), until we hit a snow cover of 3' feet on the road...luckily, there was a decent place to camp. I brought my Claytor hammock with the Speer Winter Tarp, a 4L thermarest for undercover and a +15 rated Marmot Sawtooth down sleeping bag with some heating packs for just in case (and to warm my "bed" while I'm not in it).

        The Claytor has worked much as I expected it. We have some very interesting weather in our mountains....we got rained on several times, hailed on twice, gusts of strong wind threatened to take my 1.1 oz. silnylon SWT and we were snowed (great big fluffy flakes) on at least three different occasions.

        Even though it was pretty cold, I was able to stay warm with just the pad and the sleeping bag, without any problems. Since I didn't have the wrap-around sort of DIY pad, sometimes my sides got a taste of the cold outside, It didn't help that I ended up pitching the SWT a little too high, which allowed more wind to blow in under the bottom of the tarp...need more practice! The tarp is great for cutting the wind and I used the DIY bungee tensioners to deal with any possible wind gusts (which we did have!); everything worked great.

        I purchased a pair of those REI schwag bags to clip onto the loops under the netting spreader...worked great for storing my glasses and misc. items I had in my pockets. I used the figure 9's for the tarp tie outs...I really love these things too. I originally bought a few to use with the claytor diamond tarp, but decided that it'd be easier just to used tensioner knots instead, since I'd really only be dealing with two side tie outs. So far, I think tarp tents are the way to go. I love these things...for the ability to cut the cut and to maintain privacy...which is the one thing I would have missed about tents!

        Tom

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 7 3:34 AM
          You did great, that was challenging weather for anyone and especially
          with a hammock.

          Some people use the Speer Segmented Pad Extender to help with getting
          and keeping insulation in place for their shoulders
          http://speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm . There are obviously other
          ways to do it but that is a pretty easy and trouble free approach.
          You can load the wings with clothing, pads, or whatever to extend the
          width of your 20 inch wide pads and you can stack multiple pads with
          it as well if you need to do that.

          Dave Womble
          aka Youngblood AT2000
          WinterTarp

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 7 2:58 PM
              That's actually what I was thinking of when my sides got cold. It doesn't look hard to make and I got myself a new Viking Emerald 116 I got just to play around with little projects like this...maybe I'll give it a shot and see what I get. ;o)

              I was worried about the possibility of getting cold, so I even brought along an extra ccf pad just in case...lol...ended up using it as a floor pad instead.