Doubts about Hammock's use

  • Flávio
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2008
      Hi.
      I have some questions about hammock's use.

      First:
      How do you sleep in your hammock?
      Here in Brazil, we sleep in this way.
      http://www.baciadasalmas.com/2005/como-dormir-numa-rede/
      http://www.zenavenue.com/article.php?article_id=230

      Second:
      How do you do to stop the water in the cords of the hammock?
      (I saw that somebody use cotton to stop it and other, a plastic ring,
      but it isn't works here.)

      Thanks,
      Flávio Yamamoto.
    • karens62@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
        Hey Flavio,

        While most of the world sleeps in hammocks as you have portayed in the link below, that is not how camping hammocks are intended to be used. Most, if not all of them, are intended to be used with the user having their head at one end and their feet at another - sleeping either in straight alignment with the end attachments, or at a slight diagonel, but not completely perpendicular.  One of the primary reasons for this is the need to include a bugnet while still keeping the carrying weight as low as possible for the hammock, bugnet and tarp - typically within the 1 Kg range for all three components.

        Keeping the rain out is not as difficult as it sounds but there are a couple of tips to being successful. The most important one is that when you tie something around the strap, you should really "wrap" it around the strap so that the strap is not distorted into a "u" shape where the tie compresses it. Whether using a dirty liner sock, a piece of cotton ribbon, plastic rings or a formal drip strip, that is probably the most important tip. You also need to make sure the ends of your tarp extend past the point of the strap where you have tied your drip strip. If you have not done that, the strap will continue to channel any water that falls between the drip strip and where the tarp starts.  If you search the archives of this group, you will find lots of advice and discussion on this topic.

        Karen
        Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
          Hi Karen!

          But when you arm the hammock, do you stretch it or not?
          Regarding water in ropes, I tested these ideas that you raised, but none
          worked, as the water passes through inside the rope.

          I already used “Rock Climbing Carabiners” which resulted in a good exit, but
          still try some material that can be more lightweight, practical and less.

          Flávio Yamamoto.

          _____

          http://www.zenavenu <http://www.zenavenue.com/article.php?article_id=230>
          e.com/article.php?article_id=230

          Second:
          How do you do to stop the water in the cords of the hammock?
          (I saw that somebody use cotton to stop it and other, a plastic ring,
          but it isn't works here.)

          Thanks,
          Flávio Yamamoto.

          Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
          Checked by AVG.
          09:54

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
            1. I sleep in my hammock on the slight diagonal...similar to how the pictures you sent show you're supposed to lay in it. The longer the hammock, the less off-center you need to be in order to lay flat. So length is important here. Don't get anything under 8 feet long.

            2. Water is a lot like electricity; it will take the easiest path to ground. To redirect water from the hammock lines/straps you tie in water diverters, like string or felt strips, to any lines that are exposed to the weather. I got a pair of felt "dripstrips" from Ed Speer (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Accessories.htm) that I tried using in a downpour once already and it seemed to do a good job. It absorbs water from the line (you wrap one end around the line and pin it in place) and allowing it to run straight down to the ground. You could easily make your own felt dripstrips.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@... wrote:

              > Hey Flavio,
              >

              > While most of the world sleeps in hammocks as you have portayed in
              the link below, that is not how camping hammocks are intended to be
              used. Most, if not all of them, are intended to be used with the user
              having their head at one end and their feet at another - sleeping
              either in straight alignment with the end attachments, or at a slight
              diagonel, but not completely perpendicular.>>

              I have a camping hammock with a bugnet (Byer's Mosquito Traveler) and
              I sleep in it diagonally, which is what gives your body the proper
              alignment and comfort. I have arthritis and many co-sufferers agree
              that when you find the sweet spot, hammock sleeping is wonderful.

              Don't see how you could be comfortable sleeping like a banana.

              sandy in miami
            • Blake Robert
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 5, 2008
                I stopped by Walmart today and found a closeout on
                20"x6' non-slip shelf liners.

                They normally go at $3.50.

                They are now going at $1.50.

                This does not mean that your Walmart will have them at
                closeout prices---but, there is a certain uniformity
                with many stores.

                For example, Flagstaff often has its last major
                blizzard in late March. People driving through on I-40
                aren't equipped for the weather---they exit at the
                Flagstaff Mall seeking cold weather wear at Sears,
                Penney's, and Dillard's.

                Only to be told that winter wear was closed out weeks
                ago to make room for short sleeves, short pants, etc.

                When the Phoenix and Tucson stores at low elevation
                (1,350 feet and 2,300 feet) switch their seasonal
                offerings the stores at higher elevations/colder
                climates have to switch too.

                So, maybe your Walmart will have these at sale prices
                too?????

                RB