[Hammock Camping] Re: ,Newbie

  • ddahlen123
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 26 6:41 PM

      > I just got my claytor yesterday and took it outside for a lazy
      afternoon test. After inspecting the stitches (which came undone on my
      cheap byer) I"m very pleased. Good craftsmanship. So much more comfy
      than the byer..I have a home-made one too and though the claytor isn't
      as wide, the 9ft 9in length makes it easy to lay flat in it.

      > So far, I have to say I love the thing. I'm going to go spring
      camping in the mountains in two weeks to see how it performs. I look
      forward to seeing how well the hammock performs. I have yet to be able
      to actually sleep in one....I almost had a full night's sleep in the
      byer ...but I kept having to struggle with the sleep pad I was using
      (Thermarest 4L) and ended up perpendicular to the ridgeline...which
      stretched out the bugnet and probably had something to do with
      weakening it.

      > I slept in the claytor hammock ground-style last night...it's okay
      for that purpose, and nice that I an use it as a ground tent, though
      the netting was a little close to my face used this way. Still, I love
      the thing and can't wait to get some *real* use out of it. I'm using
      their stock tarp and a Speer Winter Tarp (SWT) for more wind
      protection. I've tried pitching them both and they're both great,
      though the tarp that comes with my claytor is nearly twice the weight
      (and half as big) as the Winter Tarp....I figure I'll use the claytor
      for more summer months and the SWT for the spring and fall
      months...maybe winter one of these days too.

      > Tom

      keep us posted as to the out come in two weeks. I have an HH - been
      using it the past three years mainly for the BWCA area. I 'm
      interested in the Claytor mosquitohammock.
      ------------Dick Dahlen southern Minnnesota

    • David Ball
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 27 12:21 PM
        Man you guys rock. I had no idea of the potential this hammocking option had. Your information is soooo helpful. I am leaning toward a jungle hammock. It has lots of great features. I like the double pocket on the bottom to hold a pad. That seems a great feature. The price is right too. I am also intrigued with making one when I have more time. Might be a winter 08-09 project. Keep it coming and a big "thanks."

        David

        David and Cara Lawson-Ball
        RiverJourneys Inc.
        70529 Martin Road
        Edwardsburg, MI 49112

        574-535-3623
        http://www.riverjourneys.org
        riverjourneys@...

        Dedicated to providing our customers personal growth,
        team building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

        "In the woods nothing will befall me . . . no disgrace, no calamity
        which nature cannot repair."

        Ralph Waldo Emerson
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 27 3:34 PM
          I'm not sure if he has changed his tarp...I've been looking at buying his hammock for a number of years and it seems that he's used the same design, same fabric and same treatment.

          I've actually got two tarps now. The one that comes with the claytor and an Ed Speer Winter Tarp (SWT), which is a large 10' x 11' cat-style silnylon tarp. I tested the SWT and it performed very well. Very thin stuff, but completely repelled all water being thrown at it by my garden hose. Yesterday, I set it all up in my backyard while it was raining and the SWT did great.

          I also had the diamond claytor fly (which is half the size of my SWT, in total material, and weighs nearly twice the size of the SWT) and set that up as well as an independent tarp to "test" it out a against the rain. It did seem like it absorbed water, rather than repelled it...but I did manage to keep the light rain out of the interior of it. I have a big can of DWR treatment, so I'll be using that for sure on the claytor rainfly "just in case".

          Still, I got my SWT before I got my claytor, as I was anticipating the need for more cover. The SWT will actually fully enclose the hammock in a sort of "tarp tent", so that rain and wind stays [mostly] out, depending upon how low to the ground I set it. Some wind came in through the two ends, but not really enough to affect anything too greatly. I had a candle lantern going in the SWT (well away from everything, of course!!) and I was able to heat up a little "heat-bubble", despite the wind howling away and billowing in and out the sides of the light SWT.

          I'm planning on using the claytor tarp as a summer tarp and the SWT as a 3rd season tarp...more for spring and fall months, rather than summer; but, I'll still carry both with me into the mountains as the microclimate in these hills get pretty variable. One campsite may be in a nice area with perfect blue skies above and a gentle breeze, while, the next valley over narrows down into a small wind tunnel. I'll use the claytor for the gentle breeze area where I may want a little protection and the SWT where I need more coverage.

          This is all in experimentation as it is for me, anyhow. I purchased a Viking Emerald 116 so that I could sew up my own hammocks (make a 7 foot one already) and tarps. In the meantime, I'm using 'commercial' equipment to see what's good and what sucks. The idea being to improve on some of the currently available designed. I love the claytor hammock (mostly having to do with the spreadable bugnet, the pad liner, and the long length, which allows me to lay flatter). What I'm really impressed with is how comfortable it is to lay in the claytor hammock and it's the hammock that I'm going to rave about. It's just so damned comfy. However, the big one I make is going to be a little wider (60" instead of 33" wide) but probably as long as the claytor, though I'm going to start at 8.5 feet and work my way to 10' and see what is most comfy for me.

          Thanks for the heads up, though, I'll definitely be putting a DWR coating on that rainfly!

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 6, 2008
            Well,

            Just got back from a weekend jaunt in the mountains. My brother and I drove as far as we could (in my little POS car), until we hit a snow cover of 3' feet on the road...luckily, there was a decent place to camp. I brought my Claytor hammock with the Speer Winter Tarp, a 4L thermarest for undercover and a +15 rated Marmot Sawtooth down sleeping bag with some heating packs for just in case (and to warm my "bed" while I'm not in it).

            The Claytor has worked much as I expected it. We have some very interesting weather in our mountains....we got rained on several times, hailed on twice, gusts of strong wind threatened to take my 1.1 oz. silnylon SWT and we were snowed (great big fluffy flakes) on at least three different occasions.

            Even though it was pretty cold, I was able to stay warm with just the pad and the sleeping bag, without any problems. Since I didn't have the wrap-around sort of DIY pad, sometimes my sides got a taste of the cold outside, It didn't help that I ended up pitching the SWT a little too high, which allowed more wind to blow in under the bottom of the tarp...need more practice! The tarp is great for cutting the wind and I used the DIY bungee tensioners to deal with any possible wind gusts (which we did have!); everything worked great.

            I purchased a pair of those REI schwag bags to clip onto the loops under the netting spreader...worked great for storing my glasses and misc. items I had in my pockets. I used the figure 9's for the tarp tie outs...I really love these things too. I originally bought a few to use with the claytor diamond tarp, but decided that it'd be easier just to used tensioner knots instead, since I'd really only be dealing with two side tie outs. So far, I think tarp tents are the way to go. I love these things...for the ability to cut the cut and to maintain privacy...which is the one thing I would have missed about tents!

            Tom

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
              You did great, that was challenging weather for anyone and especially
              with a hammock.

              Some people use the Speer Segmented Pad Extender to help with getting
              and keeping insulation in place for their shoulders
              http://speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm . There are obviously other
              ways to do it but that is a pretty easy and trouble free approach.
              You can load the wings with clothing, pads, or whatever to extend the
              width of your 20 inch wide pads and you can stack multiple pads with
              it as well if you need to do that.

              Dave Womble
              aka Youngblood AT2000
              WinterTarp

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
                  That's actually what I was thinking of when my sides got cold. It doesn't look hard to make and I got myself a new Viking Emerald 116 I got just to play around with little projects like this...maybe I'll give it a shot and see what I get. ;o)

                  I was worried about the possibility of getting cold, so I even brought along an extra ccf pad just in case...lol...ended up using it as a floor pad instead.