Re: How High do you hang your hammock?

  • Jeff Ross
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
      What everybody else said...
      To me the main reasons for hanging instead of tenting are:

      - It's more comfortable. Instead of hard, wet, rocky, unlevel
      ground, you are snuggled up in a soft cocoon that doesn't have any
      hard places.

      - It keeps you up off the ground away from ants, spiders, scorpions,
      and snakes.

      I have found that it's just as hard to find two just-right trees to
      hang my hammock from as it is to find a flat place to pitch a tent.
      So there may not be much advantage there.

      The only disadvantage that I can see is that in cold weather it's
      harder to stay warm in a hammock than in a tent.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "debswebworks"
      <debswebworks@...> wrote:

      > I enjoy my hammock at home frequently. We're tent camping with
      > friends in a couple weeks at a state park, and I'm thinking about
      the
      > actual logistics of hammock camping....
      >
      > How high do you hang your hammock?
      >
      > At home, its probably 2-3 feet off the ground (at the lowest
      point).
      > If its any higher than that, its really hard to get into it.
      >
      > But if we hang it that low camping, the raccoons will be able to
      reach us.

      > If you hang it higher, how do you get into it?
      >
      > :-D

    • Blake Robert
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
        I think that the ideal sleeping bag for use in
        hammocks would be along the lines of the Big Agnes
        series-with a sleeve for pads on the bottom---with no
        insulation on the bottom that you do not insert
        yourself---exc. with a top zipper so that one does not
        have the side of the hammock pressing in on the zipper
        making it hard to open or close. Perhaps, with side
        sleeves at the shoulders and in the hip area??? I
        emailed Big Agnes to ask about top zippers---here is
        what they said: (perhaps if more hammock campers
        contacted sleeping bag companies-they would consider
        sleeping bags specifically made for hammock
        camping????)

        Hi Robert. The Encampment only comes with the zipper
        on the side. We have a lot of hammock users that are
        huge BA fans though so I think the Encampment is still
        an excellent choice for you.

        Thanks.

        Chris Tamucci

        Big Agnes