,Newbie

  • David Ball
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 23, 2008
      Howdy folks,

      My wife and I have been guiding on the Manistee River in Northern
      Lower Michigan for 15 years on canoe camping trips of 3 to 10 days.
      Youth groups, adult groups, church groups, father son, father
      daughter, women's trips, etc. etc. We love to go alone a couple of
      times a year to remind us of why we do it. We are intrigued with the
      idea of hammocks for a number of reasons. When we go alone, we enjoy
      going minimalist and taking as much a LNT approach as we can.

      Thus the hammock idea seems appealing. I am big, 6'2" 250 and my
      wife is about 5'4" and 120 (least I think, I never ask). While she
      likes the whole hammock idea, she does not like the idea of sleeping
      seperately. Any ideas? Looking forward to hearing more and as time
      goes on, looking forward to contributing.

      David Ball

      aka: canoebie

      http://www.riverjourneys.org
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 24, 2008
        Hi David,

        Two hammocks set up so that the head end of each hammock is tied to the
        same tree and the feet are spread by 5-8 feet works out nicely. That
        way sweet nothings can be whispered and the two are within touch
        distance. I have also set up two hammocks using two wide trees with the
        hammocks tied so that the ends are at the width of the tree. I suppose
        that it would be possible to lash a cross brace on two trees, though I
        have not tried that.

        Rick

        David Ball wrote:
        > Howdy folks,
        >
        > My wife and I have been guiding on the Manistee River in Northern
        > Lower Michigan for 15 years on canoe camping trips of 3 to 10 days.
        > Youth groups, adult groups, church groups, father son, father
        > daughter, women's trips, etc. etc. We love to go alone a couple of
        > times a year to remind us of why we do it. We are intrigued with the
        > idea of hammocks for a number of reasons. When we go alone, we enjoy
        > going minimalist and taking as much a LNT approach as we can.
        >
        > Thus the hammock idea seems appealing. I am big, 6'2" 250 and my
        > wife is about 5'4" and 120 (least I think, I never ask). While she
        > likes the whole hammock idea, she does not like the idea of sleeping
        > seperately. Any ideas? Looking forward to hearing more and as time
        > goes on, looking forward to contributing.
        >
        > David Ball
        >
        > aka: canoebie
        >
        > http://www.riverjourneys.org

      • David Ball
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 24, 2008
          Thanks Rick, that is helpful. Now, and again bear (oh no, not bears!) with my newness, I have looked at Hennesey (sp?) brand. Others I should consider? I sure appreciate the input from y'all rather than the input from the school of hard knocks. Been to that class way too often.

          David

          David and Cara Lawson-Ball
          RiverJourneys Inc.
          70529 Martin Road
          Edwardsburg, MI 49112

          574-535-3623
          http://www.riverjourneys.org
          riverjourneys@...

          Dedicated to providing our customers personal growth,
          team building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

          "In the woods nothing will befall me . . . no disgrace, no calamity
          which nature cannot repair."

          Ralph Waldo Emerson

          David Ball wrote:
          > Howdy folks,
          >
          > My wife and I have been guiding on the Manistee River in Northern
          > Lower Michigan for 15 years on canoe camping trips of 3 to 10 days.
          > Youth groups, adult groups, church groups, father son, father
          > daughter, women's trips, etc. etc. We love to go alone a couple of
          > times a year to remind us of why we do it. We are intrigued with the
          > idea of hammocks for a number of reasons. When we go alone, we enjoy
          > going minimalist and taking as much a LNT approach as we can.
          >
          > Thus the hammock idea seems appealing. I am big, 6'2" 250 and my
          > wife is about 5'4" and 120 (least I think, I never ask). While she
          > likes the whole hammock idea, she does not like the idea of sleeping
          > seperately. Any ideas? Looking forward to hearing more and as time
          > goes on, looking forward to contributing.
          >
          > David Ball
          >
          > aka: canoebie
          >
          > http://www.riverjourneys.org

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 24, 2008
            You could make your own: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
            It's easy as pie.

            I had considered a HH myself, but ended up getting a cheap byer hammock just to see how hammock camping felt; I liked it, but the byer was way too short, so I ordered a Claytor jungle hammock (www.mosquitohammock.com)...hopefully it arrives here today.

            While I was waiting, I built my own hammock like the instructions detail above; it's even better than the byer!

            Nothing against the HH, I just don't like bottom loading as much as I like top loading so I can use the hammock as a chair with either no netting (my DIY hammock that I haven't put bugnet on yet) or netting that I can unzip on one side (the Claytor) and use the hammock as a camp chair. I also bought the Speer Winter Tarp (www.speerhammocks.com) for more complete coverage, even though the Claytor comes with a similarly shaped rainfly--just a little larger-- as the diamond fly that comes with the HH hammocks.

            Happy camping!

            Tom

            David Ball wrote:
            > Howdy folks,
            >
            > My wife and I have been guiding on the Manistee River in Northern
            > Lower Michigan for 15 years on canoe camping trips of 3 to 10 days.
            > Youth groups, adult groups, church groups, father son, father
            > daughter, women's trips, etc. etc. We love to go alone a couple of
            > times a year to remind us of why we do it. We are intrigued with the
            > idea of hammocks for a number of reasons. When we go alone, we enjoy
            > going minimalist and taking as much a LNT approach as we can.
            >
            > Thus the hammock idea seems appealing. I am big, 6'2" 250 and my
            > wife is about 5'4" and 120 (least I think, I never ask). While she
            > likes the whole hammock idea, she does not like the idea of sleeping
            > seperately. Any ideas? Looking forward to hearing more and as time
            > goes on, looking forward to contributing.
            >
            > David Ball
            >
            > aka: canoebie
            >
            > http://www.riverjourneys.org

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 24, 2008
              On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Tom Frazier <wildewudu@...> wrote:

              > You could make your own: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
              > It's easy as pie.

              If you are really lazy (like me) you can even do without the hem. :]
              And us motorcycle tiedowns (less the hardware) as straps

              Five minutes....

              Ralph

            • Andrew Raney
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 25, 2008
                David
                I also prefer the Claytor (mosquitohammock.com.), it's double bottom
                is nice for keeping insulation in place.
              • Tom Frazier
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 26, 2008
                  I just got my claytor yesterday and took it outside for a lazy afternoon test. After inspecting the stitches (which came undone on my cheap byer) I"m very pleased. Good craftsmanship. So much more comfy than the byer..I have a home-made one too and though the claytor isn't as wide, the 9ft 9in length makes it easy to lay flat in it.

                  So far, I have to say I love the thing. I'm going to go spring camping in the mountains in two weeks to see how it performs. I look forward to seeing how well the hammock performs. I have yet to be able to actually sleep in one....I almost had a full night's sleep in the byer ...but I kept having to struggle with the sleep pad I was using (Thermarest 4L) and ended up perpendicular to the ridgeline...which stretched out the bugnet and probably had something to do with weakening it.

                  I slept in the claytor hammock ground-style last night...it's okay for that purpose, and nice that I an use it as a ground tent, though the netting was a little close to my face used this way. Still, I love the thing and can't wait to get some *real* use out of it. I'm using their stock tarp and a Speer Winter Tarp (SWT) for more wind protection. I've tried pitching them both and they're both great, though the tarp that comes with my claytor is nearly twice the weight (and half as big) as the Winter Tarp....I figure I'll use the claytor for more summer months and the SWT for the spring and fall months...maybe winter one of these days too.

                  Tom

                  I also prefer the Claytor (mosquitohammock.com.), it's double bottom
                  is nice for keeping insulation in place.

                • ddahlen123
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 26, 2008

                    > I just got my claytor yesterday and took it outside for a lazy
                    afternoon test. After inspecting the stitches (which came undone on my
                    cheap byer) I"m very pleased. Good craftsmanship. So much more comfy
                    than the byer..I have a home-made one too and though the claytor isn't
                    as wide, the 9ft 9in length makes it easy to lay flat in it.

                    > So far, I have to say I love the thing. I'm going to go spring
                    camping in the mountains in two weeks to see how it performs. I look
                    forward to seeing how well the hammock performs. I have yet to be able
                    to actually sleep in one....I almost had a full night's sleep in the
                    byer ...but I kept having to struggle with the sleep pad I was using
                    (Thermarest 4L) and ended up perpendicular to the ridgeline...which
                    stretched out the bugnet and probably had something to do with
                    weakening it.

                    > I slept in the claytor hammock ground-style last night...it's okay
                    for that purpose, and nice that I an use it as a ground tent, though
                    the netting was a little close to my face used this way. Still, I love
                    the thing and can't wait to get some *real* use out of it. I'm using
                    their stock tarp and a Speer Winter Tarp (SWT) for more wind
                    protection. I've tried pitching them both and they're both great,
                    though the tarp that comes with my claytor is nearly twice the weight
                    (and half as big) as the Winter Tarp....I figure I'll use the claytor
                    for more summer months and the SWT for the spring and fall
                    months...maybe winter one of these days too.

                    > Tom

                    keep us posted as to the out come in two weeks. I have an HH - been
                    using it the past three years mainly for the BWCA area. I 'm
                    interested in the Claytor mosquitohammock.
                    ------------Dick Dahlen southern Minnnesota

                  • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 27, 2008
                      Tom:

                      I'd like to give you a heads up on that Jungle model. On the two I own,
                      it seems like the body is waterproofed and the tarp is only water
                      resistant. My inelegant test is to put my open mouth on the fabric and
                      see if I can draw air through. No on the bottom; fairly easily on the
                      top.

                      What this means is that (unless Tom Claytor has changed his
                      manufacturing specs) your tarp might not withstand prolonged, heavy rain
                      and keep you dry. Mine didn't, at an almost critical time. (Late August
                      in northern Ontario, when being cold and wet with no way to dry out is a
                      LOT more serious than here in Florida.)

                      So check it out before you get yourself three days into the outback. You
                      might want to swap the stock tarp for a known performer if there's any
                      chance of heavy rain. You might want to consider adding some DWR
                      treatment to the stock tarp.

                      It's been over two years since I got my Jungle models. I'd be interested
                      to know if Tom has changed the tarp.

                      Bear

                    • David Ball

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 27, 2008
                          I'm not sure if he has changed his tarp...I've been looking at buying his hammock for a number of years and it seems that he's used the same design, same fabric and same treatment.

                          I've actually got two tarps now. The one that comes with the claytor and an Ed Speer Winter Tarp (SWT), which is a large 10' x 11' cat-style silnylon tarp. I tested the SWT and it performed very well. Very thin stuff, but completely repelled all water being thrown at it by my garden hose. Yesterday, I set it all up in my backyard while it was raining and the SWT did great.

                          I also had the diamond claytor fly (which is half the size of my SWT, in total material, and weighs nearly twice the size of the SWT) and set that up as well as an independent tarp to "test" it out a against the rain. It did seem like it absorbed water, rather than repelled it...but I did manage to keep the light rain out of the interior of it. I have a big can of DWR treatment, so I'll be using that for sure on the claytor rainfly "just in case".

                          Still, I got my SWT before I got my claytor, as I was anticipating the need for more cover. The SWT will actually fully enclose the hammock in a sort of "tarp tent", so that rain and wind stays [mostly] out, depending upon how low to the ground I set it. Some wind came in through the two ends, but not really enough to affect anything too greatly. I had a candle lantern going in the SWT (well away from everything, of course!!) and I was able to heat up a little "heat-bubble", despite the wind howling away and billowing in and out the sides of the light SWT.

                          I'm planning on using the claytor tarp as a summer tarp and the SWT as a 3rd season tarp...more for spring and fall months, rather than summer; but, I'll still carry both with me into the mountains as the microclimate in these hills get pretty variable. One campsite may be in a nice area with perfect blue skies above and a gentle breeze, while, the next valley over narrows down into a small wind tunnel. I'll use the claytor for the gentle breeze area where I may want a little protection and the SWT where I need more coverage.

                          This is all in experimentation as it is for me, anyhow. I purchased a Viking Emerald 116 so that I could sew up my own hammocks (make a 7 foot one already) and tarps. In the meantime, I'm using 'commercial' equipment to see what's good and what sucks. The idea being to improve on some of the currently available designed. I love the claytor hammock (mostly having to do with the spreadable bugnet, the pad liner, and the long length, which allows me to lay flatter). What I'm really impressed with is how comfortable it is to lay in the claytor hammock and it's the hammock that I'm going to rave about. It's just so damned comfy. However, the big one I make is going to be a little wider (60" instead of 33" wide) but probably as long as the claytor, though I'm going to start at 8.5 feet and work my way to 10' and see what is most comfy for me.

                          Thanks for the heads up, though, I'll definitely be putting a DWR coating on that rainfly!

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 6, 2008
                            Well,

                            Just got back from a weekend jaunt in the mountains. My brother and I drove as far as we could (in my little POS car), until we hit a snow cover of 3' feet on the road...luckily, there was a decent place to camp. I brought my Claytor hammock with the Speer Winter Tarp, a 4L thermarest for undercover and a +15 rated Marmot Sawtooth down sleeping bag with some heating packs for just in case (and to warm my "bed" while I'm not in it).

                            The Claytor has worked much as I expected it. We have some very interesting weather in our mountains....we got rained on several times, hailed on twice, gusts of strong wind threatened to take my 1.1 oz. silnylon SWT and we were snowed (great big fluffy flakes) on at least three different occasions.

                            Even though it was pretty cold, I was able to stay warm with just the pad and the sleeping bag, without any problems. Since I didn't have the wrap-around sort of DIY pad, sometimes my sides got a taste of the cold outside, It didn't help that I ended up pitching the SWT a little too high, which allowed more wind to blow in under the bottom of the tarp...need more practice! The tarp is great for cutting the wind and I used the DIY bungee tensioners to deal with any possible wind gusts (which we did have!); everything worked great.

                            I purchased a pair of those REI schwag bags to clip onto the loops under the netting spreader...worked great for storing my glasses and misc. items I had in my pockets. I used the figure 9's for the tarp tie outs...I really love these things too. I originally bought a few to use with the claytor diamond tarp, but decided that it'd be easier just to used tensioner knots instead, since I'd really only be dealing with two side tie outs. So far, I think tarp tents are the way to go. I love these things...for the ability to cut the cut and to maintain privacy...which is the one thing I would have missed about tents!

                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
                              You did great, that was challenging weather for anyone and especially
                              with a hammock.

                              Some people use the Speer Segmented Pad Extender to help with getting
                              and keeping insulation in place for their shoulders
                              http://speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm . There are obviously other
                              ways to do it but that is a pretty easy and trouble free approach.
                              You can load the wings with clothing, pads, or whatever to extend the
                              width of your 20 inch wide pads and you can stack multiple pads with
                              it as well if you need to do that.

                              Dave Womble
                              aka Youngblood AT2000
                              WinterTarp

                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 7, 2008
                                  That's actually what I was thinking of when my sides got cold. It doesn't look hard to make and I got myself a new Viking Emerald 116 I got just to play around with little projects like this...maybe I'll give it a shot and see what I get. ;o)

                                  I was worried about the possibility of getting cold, so I even brought along an extra ccf pad just in case...lol...ended up using it as a floor pad instead.