Re: [Hammock Camping] How High do you hang your hammock?

  • debswebworks
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
      Thanks for all your posts.

      We're still going to try it, and we're simply just not going to worry
      about the critters.

      Heres to the great outdoors!

      :-D
    • Jeff Ross
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
        What everybody else said...
        To me the main reasons for hanging instead of tenting are:

        - It's more comfortable. Instead of hard, wet, rocky, unlevel
        ground, you are snuggled up in a soft cocoon that doesn't have any
        hard places.

        - It keeps you up off the ground away from ants, spiders, scorpions,
        and snakes.

        I have found that it's just as hard to find two just-right trees to
        hang my hammock from as it is to find a flat place to pitch a tent.
        So there may not be much advantage there.

        The only disadvantage that I can see is that in cold weather it's
        harder to stay warm in a hammock than in a tent.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "debswebworks"
        <debswebworks@...> wrote:

        > I enjoy my hammock at home frequently. We're tent camping with
        > friends in a couple weeks at a state park, and I'm thinking about
        the
        > actual logistics of hammock camping....
        >
        > How high do you hang your hammock?
        >
        > At home, its probably 2-3 feet off the ground (at the lowest
        point).
        > If its any higher than that, its really hard to get into it.
        >
        > But if we hang it that low camping, the raccoons will be able to
        reach us.

        > If you hang it higher, how do you get into it?
        >
        > :-D

      • Blake Robert
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
          I think that the ideal sleeping bag for use in
          hammocks would be along the lines of the Big Agnes
          series-with a sleeve for pads on the bottom---with no
          insulation on the bottom that you do not insert
          yourself---exc. with a top zipper so that one does not
          have the side of the hammock pressing in on the zipper
          making it hard to open or close. Perhaps, with side
          sleeves at the shoulders and in the hip area??? I
          emailed Big Agnes to ask about top zippers---here is
          what they said: (perhaps if more hammock campers
          contacted sleeping bag companies-they would consider
          sleeping bags specifically made for hammock
          camping????)

          Hi Robert. The Encampment only comes with the zipper
          on the side. We have a lot of hammock users that are
          huge BA fans though so I think the Encampment is still
          an excellent choice for you.

          Thanks.

          Chris Tamucci

          Big Agnes