Re:How High do you hang your hammock?

  • andrew raney
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
      If your worried about small critters use a mosquito net.
      I've done a lot of "camping" on the ground with just a poncho/tarp and sleeping bag, never had any problems.
      As long as there is no food or food residue in the hammock you shouldn't have any problems.
      If your going to South America DEFINETLY use a mosquito net.
      Andy

    • debswebworks
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
        Thanks for all your posts.

        We're still going to try it, and we're simply just not going to worry
        about the critters.

        Heres to the great outdoors!

        :-D
      • Jeff Ross
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
          What everybody else said...
          To me the main reasons for hanging instead of tenting are:

          - It's more comfortable. Instead of hard, wet, rocky, unlevel
          ground, you are snuggled up in a soft cocoon that doesn't have any
          hard places.

          - It keeps you up off the ground away from ants, spiders, scorpions,
          and snakes.

          I have found that it's just as hard to find two just-right trees to
          hang my hammock from as it is to find a flat place to pitch a tent.
          So there may not be much advantage there.

          The only disadvantage that I can see is that in cold weather it's
          harder to stay warm in a hammock than in a tent.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "debswebworks"
          <debswebworks@...> wrote:

          > I enjoy my hammock at home frequently. We're tent camping with
          > friends in a couple weeks at a state park, and I'm thinking about
          the
          > actual logistics of hammock camping....
          >
          > How high do you hang your hammock?
          >
          > At home, its probably 2-3 feet off the ground (at the lowest
          point).
          > If its any higher than that, its really hard to get into it.
          >
          > But if we hang it that low camping, the raccoons will be able to
          reach us.

          > If you hang it higher, how do you get into it?
          >
          > :-D

        • Blake Robert
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
            I think that the ideal sleeping bag for use in
            hammocks would be along the lines of the Big Agnes
            series-with a sleeve for pads on the bottom---with no
            insulation on the bottom that you do not insert
            yourself---exc. with a top zipper so that one does not
            have the side of the hammock pressing in on the zipper
            making it hard to open or close. Perhaps, with side
            sleeves at the shoulders and in the hip area??? I
            emailed Big Agnes to ask about top zippers---here is
            what they said: (perhaps if more hammock campers
            contacted sleeping bag companies-they would consider
            sleeping bags specifically made for hammock
            camping????)

            Hi Robert. The Encampment only comes with the zipper
            on the side. We have a lot of hammock users that are
            huge BA fans though so I think the Encampment is still
            an excellent choice for you.

            Thanks.

            Chris Tamucci

            Big Agnes