RE: [Hammock Camping] How High do you hang your hammock?

  • Andrew Buskov
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
      I gotta agree here with the ropes thing. You need to look at it like this.
      Animals don't care if you're in a tent, hammock, bivy, tarp, or shelter.
      They care about smells, and mainly with smells that indicate a high
      probability of food. They're not going to see a hammock camper as more
      interesting than a tent camper, or any other camper for that reason. I've
      been in shelters full of mice before and they always seem to go toward the
      camper who isn't as careful with his food supplies as the rest. In addition,
      even if you don't have a Hennessy, or other enclosed hammock, as long as you
      don't have food or other sweet smelling stuff (lotions, chapstick, etc.) on
      your person while sleeping, they're not going to bother with you. In
      general, I bear bag my food, toiletries, soaps, lotions, and sometimes
      cooking equipment and I've not had any negative animal experiences.

      AB

      _____

      Visit Corridor9

      <http://www.corridor9.net> http://www.corridor9.net

      __________________________________

      Crawling down the ropes? What sort of hammock do you have? A Hennessy
      Hammock (and maybe others) close as tight as a tent, and the opening on a HH
      is on the bottom, where it's not available for use to a small critter any
      way. But that's a moot point because they are not going to bother you in the
      first place.

    • andrew raney
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
        If your worried about small critters use a mosquito net.
        I've done a lot of "camping" on the ground with just a poncho/tarp and sleeping bag, never had any problems.
        As long as there is no food or food residue in the hammock you shouldn't have any problems.
        If your going to South America DEFINETLY use a mosquito net.
        Andy

      • debswebworks
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
          Thanks for all your posts.

          We're still going to try it, and we're simply just not going to worry
          about the critters.

          Heres to the great outdoors!

          :-D
        • Jeff Ross
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
            What everybody else said...
            To me the main reasons for hanging instead of tenting are:

            - It's more comfortable. Instead of hard, wet, rocky, unlevel
            ground, you are snuggled up in a soft cocoon that doesn't have any
            hard places.

            - It keeps you up off the ground away from ants, spiders, scorpions,
            and snakes.

            I have found that it's just as hard to find two just-right trees to
            hang my hammock from as it is to find a flat place to pitch a tent.
            So there may not be much advantage there.

            The only disadvantage that I can see is that in cold weather it's
            harder to stay warm in a hammock than in a tent.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "debswebworks"
            <debswebworks@...> wrote:

            > I enjoy my hammock at home frequently. We're tent camping with
            > friends in a couple weeks at a state park, and I'm thinking about
            the
            > actual logistics of hammock camping....
            >
            > How high do you hang your hammock?
            >
            > At home, its probably 2-3 feet off the ground (at the lowest
            point).
            > If its any higher than that, its really hard to get into it.
            >
            > But if we hang it that low camping, the raccoons will be able to
            reach us.

            > If you hang it higher, how do you get into it?
            >
            > :-D

          • Blake Robert
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
              I think that the ideal sleeping bag for use in
              hammocks would be along the lines of the Big Agnes
              series-with a sleeve for pads on the bottom---with no
              insulation on the bottom that you do not insert
              yourself---exc. with a top zipper so that one does not
              have the side of the hammock pressing in on the zipper
              making it hard to open or close. Perhaps, with side
              sleeves at the shoulders and in the hip area??? I
              emailed Big Agnes to ask about top zippers---here is
              what they said: (perhaps if more hammock campers
              contacted sleeping bag companies-they would consider
              sleeping bags specifically made for hammock
              camping????)

              Hi Robert. The Encampment only comes with the zipper
              on the side. We have a lot of hammock users that are
              huge BA fans though so I think the Encampment is still
              an excellent choice for you.

              Thanks.

              Chris Tamucci

              Big Agnes