RE: [Hammock Camping] How High do you hang your hammock?

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
      The skunk story happened when he was a ground dweller, not in a hammock. His
      point being that even if you do get a visit, they can be benign.

      The hammock gets you up and away from things that creep and crawl on the
      ground. It does not attract them. As was mentioned, a hammock is not
      understood by wildlife. Maybe the original poster will chime in, but I
      remember reading a story here from a gal who was hiking and it got late and
      tired so she found a convenient spot to hang for the night. Turned out to be
      across a game trail. During the night several wolves came down the trail and
      their backs/tails brushed her back as they passed under the hammock.

      So the hammock does not add to the adventure.

      Crawling down the ropes? What sort of hammock do you have? A Hennessy
      Hammock (and maybe others) close as tight as a tent, and the opening on a HH
      is on the bottom, where it's not available for use to a small critter any
      way. But that's a moot point because they are not going to bother you in the
      first place.

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
        I gotta agree here with the ropes thing. You need to look at it like this.
        Animals don't care if you're in a tent, hammock, bivy, tarp, or shelter.
        They care about smells, and mainly with smells that indicate a high
        probability of food. They're not going to see a hammock camper as more
        interesting than a tent camper, or any other camper for that reason. I've
        been in shelters full of mice before and they always seem to go toward the
        camper who isn't as careful with his food supplies as the rest. In addition,
        even if you don't have a Hennessy, or other enclosed hammock, as long as you
        don't have food or other sweet smelling stuff (lotions, chapstick, etc.) on
        your person while sleeping, they're not going to bother with you. In
        general, I bear bag my food, toiletries, soaps, lotions, and sometimes
        cooking equipment and I've not had any negative animal experiences.

        AB

        _____

        Visit Corridor9

        <http://www.corridor9.net> http://www.corridor9.net

        __________________________________

        Crawling down the ropes? What sort of hammock do you have? A Hennessy
        Hammock (and maybe others) close as tight as a tent, and the opening on a HH
        is on the bottom, where it's not available for use to a small critter any
        way. But that's a moot point because they are not going to bother you in the
        first place.

      • andrew raney
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
          If your worried about small critters use a mosquito net.
          I've done a lot of "camping" on the ground with just a poncho/tarp and sleeping bag, never had any problems.
          As long as there is no food or food residue in the hammock you shouldn't have any problems.
          If your going to South America DEFINETLY use a mosquito net.
          Andy

        • debswebworks
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
            Thanks for all your posts.

            We're still going to try it, and we're simply just not going to worry
            about the critters.

            Heres to the great outdoors!

            :-D
          • Jeff Ross
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
              What everybody else said...
              To me the main reasons for hanging instead of tenting are:

              - It's more comfortable. Instead of hard, wet, rocky, unlevel
              ground, you are snuggled up in a soft cocoon that doesn't have any
              hard places.

              - It keeps you up off the ground away from ants, spiders, scorpions,
              and snakes.

              I have found that it's just as hard to find two just-right trees to
              hang my hammock from as it is to find a flat place to pitch a tent.
              So there may not be much advantage there.

              The only disadvantage that I can see is that in cold weather it's
              harder to stay warm in a hammock than in a tent.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "debswebworks"
              <debswebworks@...> wrote:

              > I enjoy my hammock at home frequently. We're tent camping with
              > friends in a couple weeks at a state park, and I'm thinking about
              the
              > actual logistics of hammock camping....
              >
              > How high do you hang your hammock?
              >
              > At home, its probably 2-3 feet off the ground (at the lowest
              point).
              > If its any higher than that, its really hard to get into it.
              >
              > But if we hang it that low camping, the raccoons will be able to
              reach us.

              > If you hang it higher, how do you get into it?
              >
              > :-D

            • Blake Robert
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
                I think that the ideal sleeping bag for use in
                hammocks would be along the lines of the Big Agnes
                series-with a sleeve for pads on the bottom---with no
                insulation on the bottom that you do not insert
                yourself---exc. with a top zipper so that one does not
                have the side of the hammock pressing in on the zipper
                making it hard to open or close. Perhaps, with side
                sleeves at the shoulders and in the hip area??? I
                emailed Big Agnes to ask about top zippers---here is
                what they said: (perhaps if more hammock campers
                contacted sleeping bag companies-they would consider
                sleeping bags specifically made for hammock
                camping????)

                Hi Robert. The Encampment only comes with the zipper
                on the side. We have a lot of hammock users that are
                huge BA fans though so I think the Encampment is still
                an excellent choice for you.

                Thanks.

                Chris Tamucci

                Big Agnes