Re: [Hammock Camping] How High do you hang your hammock?

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
      I used to do a lot of tent camping. The problem was that I did not much
      like the idea of walking all day and then finding out that there were no
      spots that I could comfortably set up a tent. Either I had to worry
      about the tent flooding, or rocks that I had to sleep around, or
      something that would have me sliding out of the tent.

      Then I went through a period of camping in a pop-up camper. It was
      really nice to pull into those campgrounds and know that I would be
      sleeping in my little cabin in the woods. I knew what the bed would
      feel like and that I would get a good night's sleep, even if it started
      raining hard.

      What I like most about hammock camping is that secure feeling at the end
      of the day. In the eastern woods, I know I will find trees that I can
      hang a hammock from. Even if the ground is sloped, or rocky, or rooty,
      and even if it rains so that there is an inch of water on the ground, I
      will sleep without a care all night. The hammock will feel the same
      every night and get me right to sleep.

      I have pulled into campsites on the AT with the shelter full and every
      reasonable tent site full. I have never had a problem setting up a
      hammock. I have never had an animal bother me in a hammock - not a
      squirrel, or a mouse, or a raccoon or a bear. I have been bothered by
      lots of mice in shelters. I've probably slept in 40 AT shelters over the
      last few years and maybe spent 150 nights in hammocks, to put my lack of
      problems into perspective.

      The reason I sleep in the hammock is not to avoid critters. It is to be
      comfortable in the woods. It is to be able to carry a shelter on my back
      that does not break my back.

      NB - I just spent a year's worth of camping on the ground (30 nights or
      so) in a tarp tent or a tipi. It has been interesting going back to the
      ground. There are good reasons to be able to do so - especially in Texas
      hill country state parks where hammock trees are harder to find than
      flat ground. But after a year, I have decided to go back into the trees
      when I can. I need to sleep better.

      Risk

      debswebworks wrote:
      > I'll just remind my son - no cookies in bed! :-)
      >
      > But really, in a tent, you get in, you zip it shut, and the kritters
      > don't crawl over you while you sleep...
      >
      > OK, now I can also picture mice or rats - or squirrels maybe even,
      > climbing down the ropes, and crawling into bed with you - even if you
      > hang it up way high, and manage to find a way to climb in....
      >
      > Sleeping out in the open air sounds great, but I'm starting to wonder
      > if it sounds better than it would really be...

    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
        The skunk story happened when he was a ground dweller, not in a hammock. His
        point being that even if you do get a visit, they can be benign.

        The hammock gets you up and away from things that creep and crawl on the
        ground. It does not attract them. As was mentioned, a hammock is not
        understood by wildlife. Maybe the original poster will chime in, but I
        remember reading a story here from a gal who was hiking and it got late and
        tired so she found a convenient spot to hang for the night. Turned out to be
        across a game trail. During the night several wolves came down the trail and
        their backs/tails brushed her back as they passed under the hammock.

        So the hammock does not add to the adventure.

        Crawling down the ropes? What sort of hammock do you have? A Hennessy
        Hammock (and maybe others) close as tight as a tent, and the opening on a HH
        is on the bottom, where it's not available for use to a small critter any
        way. But that's a moot point because they are not going to bother you in the
        first place.

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
          I gotta agree here with the ropes thing. You need to look at it like this.
          Animals don't care if you're in a tent, hammock, bivy, tarp, or shelter.
          They care about smells, and mainly with smells that indicate a high
          probability of food. They're not going to see a hammock camper as more
          interesting than a tent camper, or any other camper for that reason. I've
          been in shelters full of mice before and they always seem to go toward the
          camper who isn't as careful with his food supplies as the rest. In addition,
          even if you don't have a Hennessy, or other enclosed hammock, as long as you
          don't have food or other sweet smelling stuff (lotions, chapstick, etc.) on
          your person while sleeping, they're not going to bother with you. In
          general, I bear bag my food, toiletries, soaps, lotions, and sometimes
          cooking equipment and I've not had any negative animal experiences.

          AB

          _____

          Visit Corridor9

          <http://www.corridor9.net> http://www.corridor9.net

          __________________________________

          Crawling down the ropes? What sort of hammock do you have? A Hennessy
          Hammock (and maybe others) close as tight as a tent, and the opening on a HH
          is on the bottom, where it's not available for use to a small critter any
          way. But that's a moot point because they are not going to bother you in the
          first place.

        • andrew raney
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
            If your worried about small critters use a mosquito net.
            I've done a lot of "camping" on the ground with just a poncho/tarp and sleeping bag, never had any problems.
            As long as there is no food or food residue in the hammock you shouldn't have any problems.
            If your going to South America DEFINETLY use a mosquito net.
            Andy

          • debswebworks
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
              Thanks for all your posts.

              We're still going to try it, and we're simply just not going to worry
              about the critters.

              Heres to the great outdoors!

              :-D
            • Jeff Ross
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
                What everybody else said...
                To me the main reasons for hanging instead of tenting are:

                - It's more comfortable. Instead of hard, wet, rocky, unlevel
                ground, you are snuggled up in a soft cocoon that doesn't have any
                hard places.

                - It keeps you up off the ground away from ants, spiders, scorpions,
                and snakes.

                I have found that it's just as hard to find two just-right trees to
                hang my hammock from as it is to find a flat place to pitch a tent.
                So there may not be much advantage there.

                The only disadvantage that I can see is that in cold weather it's
                harder to stay warm in a hammock than in a tent.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "debswebworks"
                <debswebworks@...> wrote:

                > I enjoy my hammock at home frequently. We're tent camping with
                > friends in a couple weeks at a state park, and I'm thinking about
                the
                > actual logistics of hammock camping....
                >
                > How high do you hang your hammock?
                >
                > At home, its probably 2-3 feet off the ground (at the lowest
                point).
                > If its any higher than that, its really hard to get into it.
                >
                > But if we hang it that low camping, the raccoons will be able to
                reach us.

                > If you hang it higher, how do you get into it?
                >
                > :-D

              • Blake Robert
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
                  I think that the ideal sleeping bag for use in
                  hammocks would be along the lines of the Big Agnes
                  series-with a sleeve for pads on the bottom---with no
                  insulation on the bottom that you do not insert
                  yourself---exc. with a top zipper so that one does not
                  have the side of the hammock pressing in on the zipper
                  making it hard to open or close. Perhaps, with side
                  sleeves at the shoulders and in the hip area??? I
                  emailed Big Agnes to ask about top zippers---here is
                  what they said: (perhaps if more hammock campers
                  contacted sleeping bag companies-they would consider
                  sleeping bags specifically made for hammock
                  camping????)

                  Hi Robert. The Encampment only comes with the zipper
                  on the side. We have a lot of hammock users that are
                  huge BA fans though so I think the Encampment is still
                  an excellent choice for you.

                  Thanks.

                  Chris Tamucci

                  Big Agnes