Re: [Hammock Camping] How High do you hang your hammock?

  • debswebworks
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 17 8:25 PM
      I'll just remind my son - no cookies in bed! :-)

      But really, in a tent, you get in, you zip it shut, and the kritters
      don't crawl over you while you sleep...

      OK, now I can also picture mice or rats - or squirrels maybe even,
      climbing down the ropes, and crawling into bed with you - even if you
      hang it up way high, and manage to find a way to climb in....

      Sleeping out in the open air sounds great, but I'm starting to wonder
      if it sounds better than it would really be...

      :-D

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 17 11:16 PM
        Amazing the security a thin piece of nylon instills upon people! The reason you don't keep food where you sleep and hang it is to not attract wild life. Including Bears! That's why it's often refered to bear bagging. Good habit to teach to young kids so they know why you do it! Not to be rude but if the openess scares you maybe your gear should consist of a credit card so you can reserve your room at the hilton!

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 18 5:33 AM
          I used to do a lot of tent camping. The problem was that I did not much
          like the idea of walking all day and then finding out that there were no
          spots that I could comfortably set up a tent. Either I had to worry
          about the tent flooding, or rocks that I had to sleep around, or
          something that would have me sliding out of the tent.

          Then I went through a period of camping in a pop-up camper. It was
          really nice to pull into those campgrounds and know that I would be
          sleeping in my little cabin in the woods. I knew what the bed would
          feel like and that I would get a good night's sleep, even if it started
          raining hard.

          What I like most about hammock camping is that secure feeling at the end
          of the day. In the eastern woods, I know I will find trees that I can
          hang a hammock from. Even if the ground is sloped, or rocky, or rooty,
          and even if it rains so that there is an inch of water on the ground, I
          will sleep without a care all night. The hammock will feel the same
          every night and get me right to sleep.

          I have pulled into campsites on the AT with the shelter full and every
          reasonable tent site full. I have never had a problem setting up a
          hammock. I have never had an animal bother me in a hammock - not a
          squirrel, or a mouse, or a raccoon or a bear. I have been bothered by
          lots of mice in shelters. I've probably slept in 40 AT shelters over the
          last few years and maybe spent 150 nights in hammocks, to put my lack of
          problems into perspective.

          The reason I sleep in the hammock is not to avoid critters. It is to be
          comfortable in the woods. It is to be able to carry a shelter on my back
          that does not break my back.

          NB - I just spent a year's worth of camping on the ground (30 nights or
          so) in a tarp tent or a tipi. It has been interesting going back to the
          ground. There are good reasons to be able to do so - especially in Texas
          hill country state parks where hammock trees are harder to find than
          flat ground. But after a year, I have decided to go back into the trees
          when I can. I need to sleep better.

          Risk

          debswebworks wrote:
          > I'll just remind my son - no cookies in bed! :-)
          >
          > But really, in a tent, you get in, you zip it shut, and the kritters
          > don't crawl over you while you sleep...
          >
          > OK, now I can also picture mice or rats - or squirrels maybe even,
          > climbing down the ropes, and crawling into bed with you - even if you
          > hang it up way high, and manage to find a way to climb in....
          >
          > Sleeping out in the open air sounds great, but I'm starting to wonder
          > if it sounds better than it would really be...

        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 18 8:22 AM
            The skunk story happened when he was a ground dweller, not in a hammock. His
            point being that even if you do get a visit, they can be benign.

            The hammock gets you up and away from things that creep and crawl on the
            ground. It does not attract them. As was mentioned, a hammock is not
            understood by wildlife. Maybe the original poster will chime in, but I
            remember reading a story here from a gal who was hiking and it got late and
            tired so she found a convenient spot to hang for the night. Turned out to be
            across a game trail. During the night several wolves came down the trail and
            their backs/tails brushed her back as they passed under the hammock.

            So the hammock does not add to the adventure.

            Crawling down the ropes? What sort of hammock do you have? A Hennessy
            Hammock (and maybe others) close as tight as a tent, and the opening on a HH
            is on the bottom, where it's not available for use to a small critter any
            way. But that's a moot point because they are not going to bother you in the
            first place.

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 18 8:50 AM
              I gotta agree here with the ropes thing. You need to look at it like this.
              Animals don't care if you're in a tent, hammock, bivy, tarp, or shelter.
              They care about smells, and mainly with smells that indicate a high
              probability of food. They're not going to see a hammock camper as more
              interesting than a tent camper, or any other camper for that reason. I've
              been in shelters full of mice before and they always seem to go toward the
              camper who isn't as careful with his food supplies as the rest. In addition,
              even if you don't have a Hennessy, or other enclosed hammock, as long as you
              don't have food or other sweet smelling stuff (lotions, chapstick, etc.) on
              your person while sleeping, they're not going to bother with you. In
              general, I bear bag my food, toiletries, soaps, lotions, and sometimes
              cooking equipment and I've not had any negative animal experiences.

              AB

              _____

              Visit Corridor9

              <http://www.corridor9.net> http://www.corridor9.net

              __________________________________

              Crawling down the ropes? What sort of hammock do you have? A Hennessy
              Hammock (and maybe others) close as tight as a tent, and the opening on a HH
              is on the bottom, where it's not available for use to a small critter any
              way. But that's a moot point because they are not going to bother you in the
              first place.

            • andrew raney
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 18 2:21 PM
                If your worried about small critters use a mosquito net.
                I've done a lot of "camping" on the ground with just a poncho/tarp and sleeping bag, never had any problems.
                As long as there is no food or food residue in the hammock you shouldn't have any problems.
                If your going to South America DEFINETLY use a mosquito net.
                Andy

              • debswebworks
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 18 7:44 PM
                  Thanks for all your posts.

                  We're still going to try it, and we're simply just not going to worry
                  about the critters.

                  Heres to the great outdoors!

                  :-D
                • Jeff Ross
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 24 6:31 AM
                    What everybody else said...
                    To me the main reasons for hanging instead of tenting are:

                    - It's more comfortable. Instead of hard, wet, rocky, unlevel
                    ground, you are snuggled up in a soft cocoon that doesn't have any
                    hard places.

                    - It keeps you up off the ground away from ants, spiders, scorpions,
                    and snakes.

                    I have found that it's just as hard to find two just-right trees to
                    hang my hammock from as it is to find a flat place to pitch a tent.
                    So there may not be much advantage there.

                    The only disadvantage that I can see is that in cold weather it's
                    harder to stay warm in a hammock than in a tent.

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "debswebworks"
                    <debswebworks@...> wrote:

                    > I enjoy my hammock at home frequently. We're tent camping with
                    > friends in a couple weeks at a state park, and I'm thinking about
                    the
                    > actual logistics of hammock camping....
                    >
                    > How high do you hang your hammock?
                    >
                    > At home, its probably 2-3 feet off the ground (at the lowest
                    point).
                    > If its any higher than that, its really hard to get into it.
                    >
                    > But if we hang it that low camping, the raccoons will be able to
                    reach us.

                    > If you hang it higher, how do you get into it?
                    >
                    > :-D

                  • Blake Robert
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 24 10:10 AM
                      I think that the ideal sleeping bag for use in
                      hammocks would be along the lines of the Big Agnes
                      series-with a sleeve for pads on the bottom---with no
                      insulation on the bottom that you do not insert
                      yourself---exc. with a top zipper so that one does not
                      have the side of the hammock pressing in on the zipper
                      making it hard to open or close. Perhaps, with side
                      sleeves at the shoulders and in the hip area??? I
                      emailed Big Agnes to ask about top zippers---here is
                      what they said: (perhaps if more hammock campers
                      contacted sleeping bag companies-they would consider
                      sleeping bags specifically made for hammock
                      camping????)

                      Hi Robert. The Encampment only comes with the zipper
                      on the side. We have a lot of hammock users that are
                      huge BA fans though so I think the Encampment is still
                      an excellent choice for you.

                      Thanks.

                      Chris Tamucci

                      Big Agnes