Re: [Hammock Camping] How High do you hang your hammock?

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
      On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...> wrote:

      > I don't worry about racoons traipsing under me while I
      > sleep.
      >
      > It's the porcupines I worry about.
      >
      > Get the point?????
      >
      > RB

      While tarping at a scout camp and later at a public campground, I've had
      skunks walk right over me.
      They were very accustomed to people, and to people throwing food into the
      bushes.

      I'm not afraid of the skunk per se..... I'm afraid of startling the skunk.
      :]

      So I started looking for large (long) lightweight cheap tents and stumbled
      upon hammocks (and this list)

      The rest (as they say) is history

      ( I teach my scouts about "skunk bait" (the problem with throwing
      waste food into the bushes)

      Ralph Oborn

    • debswebworks
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
        Ouch! :-)

        > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I don't worry about racoons traipsing under me while I
        > > sleep.
        > >
        > > It's the porcupines I worry about.
        > >
        > > Get the point?????
        > >
        > > RB
        >

        > While tarping at a scout camp and later at a public campground, I've had
        > skunks walk right over me.
        > They were very accustomed to people, and to people throwing food
        into the
        > bushes.
        >
        > I'm not afraid of the skunk per se..... I'm afraid of startling the
        skunk.
        > :]
        >
        > So I started looking for large (long) lightweight cheap tents and
        stumbled
        > upon hammocks (and this list)
        >
        > The rest (as they say) is history
        >
        > ( I teach my scouts about "skunk bait" (the problem with throwing
        > waste food into the bushes)
        >
        > Ralph Oborn

      • debswebworks
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
          Wildlife scampering over you, and cuddling up with you while you
          sleep!!??

          Wow Steve. Thats hard core. :-)

          At least in those little pup tents, the kritters stay outside...

          I'm a single mom with an 8 year old son, and while, it would
          absolutely be a memorable trip if something like that happened, I
          think it would be a little more late night excitement than I'm looking
          for.

          I'd just rather sleep in a hammock than the blow up beds.

          Maybe hammock camping is not for wimps. :-)

          :-D

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Brettell"
          <sbrettell@...> wrote:

          > I'm not trying to knock your concerns about wildlife, just asking a
          > question: have you had experience of raccoons or other critters
          scampering
          > over you while you sleep on a camping trip?
          >
          > I've camped for about 50 years. Most of that on the ground, under a
          tarp
          > (with a ground cloth). I've had one incident of a skunk cuddling up
          with
          > me, and another camper in our group had a raccoon get into his pack
          when he
          > wasn't there. I've been chased into a lake by a bear, but that was
          while I
          > was awake. Considering the amount of time in the woods, these are
          next to
          > no encounters with wildlife.
          >

          > I don't think you need to be too worried about raccoons.
          >

          > Steve,
          >
          > Maryland

        • debswebworks
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
            I'll just remind my son - no cookies in bed! :-)

            But really, in a tent, you get in, you zip it shut, and the kritters
            don't crawl over you while you sleep...

            OK, now I can also picture mice or rats - or squirrels maybe even,
            climbing down the ropes, and crawling into bed with you - even if you
            hang it up way high, and manage to find a way to climb in....

            Sleeping out in the open air sounds great, but I'm starting to wonder
            if it sounds better than it would really be...

            :-D

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
              Amazing the security a thin piece of nylon instills upon people! The reason you don't keep food where you sleep and hang it is to not attract wild life. Including Bears! That's why it's often refered to bear bagging. Good habit to teach to young kids so they know why you do it! Not to be rude but if the openess scares you maybe your gear should consist of a credit card so you can reserve your room at the hilton!

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                I used to do a lot of tent camping. The problem was that I did not much
                like the idea of walking all day and then finding out that there were no
                spots that I could comfortably set up a tent. Either I had to worry
                about the tent flooding, or rocks that I had to sleep around, or
                something that would have me sliding out of the tent.

                Then I went through a period of camping in a pop-up camper. It was
                really nice to pull into those campgrounds and know that I would be
                sleeping in my little cabin in the woods. I knew what the bed would
                feel like and that I would get a good night's sleep, even if it started
                raining hard.

                What I like most about hammock camping is that secure feeling at the end
                of the day. In the eastern woods, I know I will find trees that I can
                hang a hammock from. Even if the ground is sloped, or rocky, or rooty,
                and even if it rains so that there is an inch of water on the ground, I
                will sleep without a care all night. The hammock will feel the same
                every night and get me right to sleep.

                I have pulled into campsites on the AT with the shelter full and every
                reasonable tent site full. I have never had a problem setting up a
                hammock. I have never had an animal bother me in a hammock - not a
                squirrel, or a mouse, or a raccoon or a bear. I have been bothered by
                lots of mice in shelters. I've probably slept in 40 AT shelters over the
                last few years and maybe spent 150 nights in hammocks, to put my lack of
                problems into perspective.

                The reason I sleep in the hammock is not to avoid critters. It is to be
                comfortable in the woods. It is to be able to carry a shelter on my back
                that does not break my back.

                NB - I just spent a year's worth of camping on the ground (30 nights or
                so) in a tarp tent or a tipi. It has been interesting going back to the
                ground. There are good reasons to be able to do so - especially in Texas
                hill country state parks where hammock trees are harder to find than
                flat ground. But after a year, I have decided to go back into the trees
                when I can. I need to sleep better.

                Risk

                debswebworks wrote:
                > I'll just remind my son - no cookies in bed! :-)
                >
                > But really, in a tent, you get in, you zip it shut, and the kritters
                > don't crawl over you while you sleep...
                >
                > OK, now I can also picture mice or rats - or squirrels maybe even,
                > climbing down the ropes, and crawling into bed with you - even if you
                > hang it up way high, and manage to find a way to climb in....
                >
                > Sleeping out in the open air sounds great, but I'm starting to wonder
                > if it sounds better than it would really be...

              • Carey Parks
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                  The skunk story happened when he was a ground dweller, not in a hammock. His
                  point being that even if you do get a visit, they can be benign.

                  The hammock gets you up and away from things that creep and crawl on the
                  ground. It does not attract them. As was mentioned, a hammock is not
                  understood by wildlife. Maybe the original poster will chime in, but I
                  remember reading a story here from a gal who was hiking and it got late and
                  tired so she found a convenient spot to hang for the night. Turned out to be
                  across a game trail. During the night several wolves came down the trail and
                  their backs/tails brushed her back as they passed under the hammock.

                  So the hammock does not add to the adventure.

                  Crawling down the ropes? What sort of hammock do you have? A Hennessy
                  Hammock (and maybe others) close as tight as a tent, and the opening on a HH
                  is on the bottom, where it's not available for use to a small critter any
                  way. But that's a moot point because they are not going to bother you in the
                  first place.

                  <sbrettell@...> wrote:

                  > I'm not trying to knock your concerns about wildlife, just asking a
                  > question: have you had experience of raccoons or other critters
                  scampering
                  > over you while you sleep on a camping trip?
                  >
                  > I've camped for about 50 years. Most of that on the ground, under a
                  tarp
                  > (with a ground cloth). I've had one incident of a skunk cuddling up
                  with
                  > me, and another camper in our group had a raccoon get into his pack
                  when he
                  > wasn't there. I've been chased into a lake by a bear, but that was
                  while I
                  > was awake. Considering the amount of time in the woods, these are
                  next to
                  > no encounters with wildlife.
                  >

                  > I don't think you need to be too worried about raccoons.
                  >

                  > Steve,
                  >
                  > Maryland

                • Andrew Buskov
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                    I gotta agree here with the ropes thing. You need to look at it like this.
                    Animals don't care if you're in a tent, hammock, bivy, tarp, or shelter.
                    They care about smells, and mainly with smells that indicate a high
                    probability of food. They're not going to see a hammock camper as more
                    interesting than a tent camper, or any other camper for that reason. I've
                    been in shelters full of mice before and they always seem to go toward the
                    camper who isn't as careful with his food supplies as the rest. In addition,
                    even if you don't have a Hennessy, or other enclosed hammock, as long as you
                    don't have food or other sweet smelling stuff (lotions, chapstick, etc.) on
                    your person while sleeping, they're not going to bother with you. In
                    general, I bear bag my food, toiletries, soaps, lotions, and sometimes
                    cooking equipment and I've not had any negative animal experiences.

                    AB

                    _____

                    Visit Corridor9

                    <http://www.corridor9.net> http://www.corridor9.net

                    __________________________________

                    Crawling down the ropes? What sort of hammock do you have? A Hennessy
                    Hammock (and maybe others) close as tight as a tent, and the opening on a HH
                    is on the bottom, where it's not available for use to a small critter any
                    way. But that's a moot point because they are not going to bother you in the
                    first place.

                  • andrew raney
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                      If your worried about small critters use a mosquito net.
                      I've done a lot of "camping" on the ground with just a poncho/tarp and sleeping bag, never had any problems.
                      As long as there is no food or food residue in the hammock you shouldn't have any problems.
                      If your going to South America DEFINETLY use a mosquito net.
                      Andy

                    • debswebworks
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                        Thanks for all your posts.

                        We're still going to try it, and we're simply just not going to worry
                        about the critters.

                        Heres to the great outdoors!

                        :-D
                      • Jeff Ross
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
                          What everybody else said...
                          To me the main reasons for hanging instead of tenting are:

                          - It's more comfortable. Instead of hard, wet, rocky, unlevel
                          ground, you are snuggled up in a soft cocoon that doesn't have any
                          hard places.

                          - It keeps you up off the ground away from ants, spiders, scorpions,
                          and snakes.

                          I have found that it's just as hard to find two just-right trees to
                          hang my hammock from as it is to find a flat place to pitch a tent.
                          So there may not be much advantage there.

                          The only disadvantage that I can see is that in cold weather it's
                          harder to stay warm in a hammock than in a tent.

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "debswebworks"
                          <debswebworks@...> wrote:

                          > I enjoy my hammock at home frequently. We're tent camping with
                          > friends in a couple weeks at a state park, and I'm thinking about
                          the
                          > actual logistics of hammock camping....
                          >
                          > How high do you hang your hammock?
                          >
                          > At home, its probably 2-3 feet off the ground (at the lowest
                          point).
                          > If its any higher than that, its really hard to get into it.
                          >
                          > But if we hang it that low camping, the raccoons will be able to
                          reach us.

                          > If you hang it higher, how do you get into it?
                          >
                          > :-D

                        • Blake Robert
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
                            I think that the ideal sleeping bag for use in
                            hammocks would be along the lines of the Big Agnes
                            series-with a sleeve for pads on the bottom---with no
                            insulation on the bottom that you do not insert
                            yourself---exc. with a top zipper so that one does not
                            have the side of the hammock pressing in on the zipper
                            making it hard to open or close. Perhaps, with side
                            sleeves at the shoulders and in the hip area??? I
                            emailed Big Agnes to ask about top zippers---here is
                            what they said: (perhaps if more hammock campers
                            contacted sleeping bag companies-they would consider
                            sleeping bags specifically made for hammock
                            camping????)

                            Hi Robert. The Encampment only comes with the zipper
                            on the side. We have a lot of hammock users that are
                            huge BA fans though so I think the Encampment is still
                            an excellent choice for you.

                            Thanks.

                            Chris Tamucci

                            Big Agnes