RE: [Hammock Camping] How High do you hang your hammock?

  • Blake Robert
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
      I don't worry about racoons traipsing under me while I
      sleep.

      It's the porcupines I worry about.

      Get the point?????

      RB

      --- Andrew Buskov <rescue@...> wrote:

      > Don't the raccoons have access to you when you're in
      > a tent on the ground?
      > You're not keeping your food in the hammock while
      > you sleep are you. In
      > short, if you bag your food and hang it outside, you
      > shouldn't have to worry
      > about animals.
      >

      > AB
      >
      > _____
      >
      > Visit Corridor9
      >
      > Blogging about BackpackGearTest.org, Firefighting,
      > Linux, Hiking and more!
      >
      > <http://www.corridor9.net> http://www.corridor9.net
      >
      > __________________________________

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
        On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...> wrote:

        > I don't worry about racoons traipsing under me while I
        > sleep.
        >
        > It's the porcupines I worry about.
        >
        > Get the point?????
        >
        > RB

        While tarping at a scout camp and later at a public campground, I've had
        skunks walk right over me.
        They were very accustomed to people, and to people throwing food into the
        bushes.

        I'm not afraid of the skunk per se..... I'm afraid of startling the skunk.
        :]

        So I started looking for large (long) lightweight cheap tents and stumbled
        upon hammocks (and this list)

        The rest (as they say) is history

        ( I teach my scouts about "skunk bait" (the problem with throwing
        waste food into the bushes)

        Ralph Oborn

      • debswebworks
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
          Ouch! :-)

          > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I don't worry about racoons traipsing under me while I
          > > sleep.
          > >
          > > It's the porcupines I worry about.
          > >
          > > Get the point?????
          > >
          > > RB
          >

          > While tarping at a scout camp and later at a public campground, I've had
          > skunks walk right over me.
          > They were very accustomed to people, and to people throwing food
          into the
          > bushes.
          >
          > I'm not afraid of the skunk per se..... I'm afraid of startling the
          skunk.
          > :]
          >
          > So I started looking for large (long) lightweight cheap tents and
          stumbled
          > upon hammocks (and this list)
          >
          > The rest (as they say) is history
          >
          > ( I teach my scouts about "skunk bait" (the problem with throwing
          > waste food into the bushes)
          >
          > Ralph Oborn

        • debswebworks
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
            Wildlife scampering over you, and cuddling up with you while you
            sleep!!??

            Wow Steve. Thats hard core. :-)

            At least in those little pup tents, the kritters stay outside...

            I'm a single mom with an 8 year old son, and while, it would
            absolutely be a memorable trip if something like that happened, I
            think it would be a little more late night excitement than I'm looking
            for.

            I'd just rather sleep in a hammock than the blow up beds.

            Maybe hammock camping is not for wimps. :-)

            :-D

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Brettell"
            <sbrettell@...> wrote:

            > I'm not trying to knock your concerns about wildlife, just asking a
            > question: have you had experience of raccoons or other critters
            scampering
            > over you while you sleep on a camping trip?
            >
            > I've camped for about 50 years. Most of that on the ground, under a
            tarp
            > (with a ground cloth). I've had one incident of a skunk cuddling up
            with
            > me, and another camper in our group had a raccoon get into his pack
            when he
            > wasn't there. I've been chased into a lake by a bear, but that was
            while I
            > was awake. Considering the amount of time in the woods, these are
            next to
            > no encounters with wildlife.
            >

            > I don't think you need to be too worried about raccoons.
            >

            > Steve,
            >
            > Maryland

          • debswebworks
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
              I'll just remind my son - no cookies in bed! :-)

              But really, in a tent, you get in, you zip it shut, and the kritters
              don't crawl over you while you sleep...

              OK, now I can also picture mice or rats - or squirrels maybe even,
              climbing down the ropes, and crawling into bed with you - even if you
              hang it up way high, and manage to find a way to climb in....

              Sleeping out in the open air sounds great, but I'm starting to wonder
              if it sounds better than it would really be...

              :-D

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Buskov" <rescue@...> wrote:

              > Don't the raccoons have access to you when you're in a tent on the
              ground?
              > You're not keeping your food in the hammock while you sleep are you. In
              > short, if you bag your food and hang it outside, you shouldn't have
              to worry
              > about animals.
              >

              > AB
              >
              > _____
              >
              > Visit Corridor9
              >
              > Blogging about BackpackGearTest.org, Firefighting, Linux, Hiking and
              more!

              > <http://www.corridor9.net> http://www.corridor9.net
              >
              > __________________________________

            • pure mahem
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
                Amazing the security a thin piece of nylon instills upon people! The reason you don't keep food where you sleep and hang it is to not attract wild life. Including Bears! That's why it's often refered to bear bagging. Good habit to teach to young kids so they know why you do it! Not to be rude but if the openess scares you maybe your gear should consist of a credit card so you can reserve your room at the hilton!

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                  I used to do a lot of tent camping. The problem was that I did not much
                  like the idea of walking all day and then finding out that there were no
                  spots that I could comfortably set up a tent. Either I had to worry
                  about the tent flooding, or rocks that I had to sleep around, or
                  something that would have me sliding out of the tent.

                  Then I went through a period of camping in a pop-up camper. It was
                  really nice to pull into those campgrounds and know that I would be
                  sleeping in my little cabin in the woods. I knew what the bed would
                  feel like and that I would get a good night's sleep, even if it started
                  raining hard.

                  What I like most about hammock camping is that secure feeling at the end
                  of the day. In the eastern woods, I know I will find trees that I can
                  hang a hammock from. Even if the ground is sloped, or rocky, or rooty,
                  and even if it rains so that there is an inch of water on the ground, I
                  will sleep without a care all night. The hammock will feel the same
                  every night and get me right to sleep.

                  I have pulled into campsites on the AT with the shelter full and every
                  reasonable tent site full. I have never had a problem setting up a
                  hammock. I have never had an animal bother me in a hammock - not a
                  squirrel, or a mouse, or a raccoon or a bear. I have been bothered by
                  lots of mice in shelters. I've probably slept in 40 AT shelters over the
                  last few years and maybe spent 150 nights in hammocks, to put my lack of
                  problems into perspective.

                  The reason I sleep in the hammock is not to avoid critters. It is to be
                  comfortable in the woods. It is to be able to carry a shelter on my back
                  that does not break my back.

                  NB - I just spent a year's worth of camping on the ground (30 nights or
                  so) in a tarp tent or a tipi. It has been interesting going back to the
                  ground. There are good reasons to be able to do so - especially in Texas
                  hill country state parks where hammock trees are harder to find than
                  flat ground. But after a year, I have decided to go back into the trees
                  when I can. I need to sleep better.

                  Risk

                  debswebworks wrote:
                  > I'll just remind my son - no cookies in bed! :-)
                  >
                  > But really, in a tent, you get in, you zip it shut, and the kritters
                  > don't crawl over you while you sleep...
                  >
                  > OK, now I can also picture mice or rats - or squirrels maybe even,
                  > climbing down the ropes, and crawling into bed with you - even if you
                  > hang it up way high, and manage to find a way to climb in....
                  >
                  > Sleeping out in the open air sounds great, but I'm starting to wonder
                  > if it sounds better than it would really be...

                • Carey Parks
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                    The skunk story happened when he was a ground dweller, not in a hammock. His
                    point being that even if you do get a visit, they can be benign.

                    The hammock gets you up and away from things that creep and crawl on the
                    ground. It does not attract them. As was mentioned, a hammock is not
                    understood by wildlife. Maybe the original poster will chime in, but I
                    remember reading a story here from a gal who was hiking and it got late and
                    tired so she found a convenient spot to hang for the night. Turned out to be
                    across a game trail. During the night several wolves came down the trail and
                    their backs/tails brushed her back as they passed under the hammock.

                    So the hammock does not add to the adventure.

                    Crawling down the ropes? What sort of hammock do you have? A Hennessy
                    Hammock (and maybe others) close as tight as a tent, and the opening on a HH
                    is on the bottom, where it's not available for use to a small critter any
                    way. But that's a moot point because they are not going to bother you in the
                    first place.

                    <sbrettell@...> wrote:

                    > I'm not trying to knock your concerns about wildlife, just asking a
                    > question: have you had experience of raccoons or other critters
                    scampering
                    > over you while you sleep on a camping trip?
                    >
                    > I've camped for about 50 years. Most of that on the ground, under a
                    tarp
                    > (with a ground cloth). I've had one incident of a skunk cuddling up
                    with
                    > me, and another camper in our group had a raccoon get into his pack
                    when he
                    > wasn't there. I've been chased into a lake by a bear, but that was
                    while I
                    > was awake. Considering the amount of time in the woods, these are
                    next to
                    > no encounters with wildlife.
                    >

                    > I don't think you need to be too worried about raccoons.
                    >

                    > Steve,
                    >
                    > Maryland

                  • Andrew Buskov
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                      I gotta agree here with the ropes thing. You need to look at it like this.
                      Animals don't care if you're in a tent, hammock, bivy, tarp, or shelter.
                      They care about smells, and mainly with smells that indicate a high
                      probability of food. They're not going to see a hammock camper as more
                      interesting than a tent camper, or any other camper for that reason. I've
                      been in shelters full of mice before and they always seem to go toward the
                      camper who isn't as careful with his food supplies as the rest. In addition,
                      even if you don't have a Hennessy, or other enclosed hammock, as long as you
                      don't have food or other sweet smelling stuff (lotions, chapstick, etc.) on
                      your person while sleeping, they're not going to bother with you. In
                      general, I bear bag my food, toiletries, soaps, lotions, and sometimes
                      cooking equipment and I've not had any negative animal experiences.

                      AB

                      _____

                      Visit Corridor9

                      <http://www.corridor9.net> http://www.corridor9.net

                      __________________________________

                      Crawling down the ropes? What sort of hammock do you have? A Hennessy
                      Hammock (and maybe others) close as tight as a tent, and the opening on a HH
                      is on the bottom, where it's not available for use to a small critter any
                      way. But that's a moot point because they are not going to bother you in the
                      first place.

                    • andrew raney
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                        If your worried about small critters use a mosquito net.
                        I've done a lot of "camping" on the ground with just a poncho/tarp and sleeping bag, never had any problems.
                        As long as there is no food or food residue in the hammock you shouldn't have any problems.
                        If your going to South America DEFINETLY use a mosquito net.
                        Andy

                      • debswebworks
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                          Thanks for all your posts.

                          We're still going to try it, and we're simply just not going to worry
                          about the critters.

                          Heres to the great outdoors!

                          :-D
                        • Jeff Ross
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
                            What everybody else said...
                            To me the main reasons for hanging instead of tenting are:

                            - It's more comfortable. Instead of hard, wet, rocky, unlevel
                            ground, you are snuggled up in a soft cocoon that doesn't have any
                            hard places.

                            - It keeps you up off the ground away from ants, spiders, scorpions,
                            and snakes.

                            I have found that it's just as hard to find two just-right trees to
                            hang my hammock from as it is to find a flat place to pitch a tent.
                            So there may not be much advantage there.

                            The only disadvantage that I can see is that in cold weather it's
                            harder to stay warm in a hammock than in a tent.

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "debswebworks"
                            <debswebworks@...> wrote:

                            > I enjoy my hammock at home frequently. We're tent camping with
                            > friends in a couple weeks at a state park, and I'm thinking about
                            the
                            > actual logistics of hammock camping....
                            >
                            > How high do you hang your hammock?
                            >
                            > At home, its probably 2-3 feet off the ground (at the lowest
                            point).
                            > If its any higher than that, its really hard to get into it.
                            >
                            > But if we hang it that low camping, the raccoons will be able to
                            reach us.

                            > If you hang it higher, how do you get into it?
                            >
                            > :-D

                          • Blake Robert
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 24, 2008
                              I think that the ideal sleeping bag for use in
                              hammocks would be along the lines of the Big Agnes
                              series-with a sleeve for pads on the bottom---with no
                              insulation on the bottom that you do not insert
                              yourself---exc. with a top zipper so that one does not
                              have the side of the hammock pressing in on the zipper
                              making it hard to open or close. Perhaps, with side
                              sleeves at the shoulders and in the hip area??? I
                              emailed Big Agnes to ask about top zippers---here is
                              what they said: (perhaps if more hammock campers
                              contacted sleeping bag companies-they would consider
                              sleeping bags specifically made for hammock
                              camping????)

                              Hi Robert. The Encampment only comes with the zipper
                              on the side. We have a lot of hammock users that are
                              huge BA fans though so I think the Encampment is still
                              an excellent choice for you.

                              Thanks.

                              Chris Tamucci

                              Big Agnes