Hammock Camping In the Eastern North West.

  • Paul Marin
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2008
      Hello,
      I'm new to hammock camping and can't wait to hit the trail. I made the wonderful discovery of hammock's in late 06 when I still lived on the East Coast. I got to do 1 short trip to a State Park in Va. (False Cape) with my shinny new hammock before my wonderful wife announced that we were pregnant and she wanted to move back home. Home took this Southern East Coast Boy 2500 mile too "Inland" Eastern Washington. I spent most of 07 working, researching areas to hike and camp in, and playing dad to be. Now, in 08 I've secured a couple of hall passes but am still not sure of good locations to go hammock camping at. Anyone, have an suggestions, blogs, clubs, etc.. In Eastern Washington they could point me to that can help me find some good spots?

      -Thanks

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2008
        sorry i can't help you w/ the camping areas out there, but welcome to hammocking!
        maybe some others can be more help. ...tim

        Paul Marin <adventurenw32@...> wrote:
        Hello,
        I'm new to hammock camping and can't wait to hit the trail. I made the wonderful discovery of hammock's in late 06 when I still lived on the East Coast. I got to do 1 short trip to a State Park in Va. (False Cape) with my shinny new hammock before my wonderful wife announced that we were pregnant and she wanted to move back home. Home took this Southern East Coast Boy 2500 mile too "Inland" Eastern Washington. I spent most of 07 working, researching areas to hike and camp in, and playing dad to be. Now, in 08 I've secured a couple of hall passes but am still not sure of good locations to go hammock camping at. Anyone, have an suggestions, blogs, clubs, etc.. In Eastern Washington they could point me to that can help me find some good spots?

        -Thanks

      • Billy Chard
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2008
          Hey Paul
          I am not sure what part in eastern Washington you are in,
          but a quick Google search found me this
          http://www.clickpomeroy.com/tourism/camping.htm
          If there are trees you can swing! Big rocks can work as well. But it
          doesn't rhyme.

          Good luck

          Billy

          Paul Marin <adventurenw32@ <mailto:adventurenw32%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com>
          wrote:
          Hello,
          I'm new to hammock camping and can't wait to hit the trail. I made the
          wonderful discovery of hammock's in late 06 when I still lived on the
          East Coast. I got to do 1 short trip to a State Park in Va. (False Cape)
          with my shinny new hammock before my wonderful wife announced that we
          were pregnant and she wanted to move back home. Home took this Southern
          East Coast Boy 2500 mile too "Inland" Eastern Washington. I spent most
          of 07 working, researching areas to hike and camp in, and playing dad to
          be. Now, in 08 I've secured a couple of hall passes but am still not
          sure of good locations to go hammock camping at. Anyone, have an
          suggestions, blogs, clubs, etc.. In Eastern Washington they could point
          me to that can help me find some good spots?

          -Thanks

        • Blake Robert
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 13, 2008
            I have never lived in your new area but I have often
            visited there.

            In Spokane-there is a really nice park with camping on
            the Spokane River---both sides of the river are in the
            park. About a 1-2 mile drive from the nearest
            grocery-a nice base for enjoying Spokane. I was last
            there long before taking up hammock camping so I did
            not notice of the trees are right for hammocks---but,
            there are lots of trees.

            Couer d'Alene, Idaho (20 miles east of Spokane) is a
            wonderful place to visit with its lake. Adjacent to
            the big resort (ESE) is Tubbs Hill with three levels
            of trails-one crossing a cable suspension bridge. I
            saw Canadians picking blue berries there---they called
            them sasketoons. I assume that is Canadian for
            blueberry. I once saw a tent set up on the hill in
            plain sight of the resort parking lot so maybe camping
            is legal. At least, it is not posted. As of my last
            visit. If still not posted against camping-I would
            still be unobtrussive. I would set up camp after dark
            and break camp as it gets light in the morning. There
            is a National Forest campground just off the east
            shore of the lake-20 minutes drive past the city. I
            seem to recall that their ramada pipes MIGHT be
            suitable for hammocks. If not-the drive is not
            lost---just continue on the same dirt road as the USFS
            campground for disperssed camping with lots of trees.
            Coming back into town---there was a motel that had
            coin operated showers.

            I have not been in eastern Washington north of Spokane
            but I have been in nearby Idaho. Lots of trees and
            lakes-such as Round Lake and Priest Lake.

            If you wander south into Oregon----Wallawa Lake is a
            beautiful area. Not only is there Wallawa Lake State
            Park---but, the famous Mirror Lake is there---you'll
            see the postcards. That made me wish I had been
            carrying backpacking gear.

            One trip you HAVE to make is Whidbey Island. There are
            several nice parks there incl. the fortifications that
            were used in An Officer and a Gentleman. Remember the
            leading man doing pushups? Pensacola Naval Air Station
            (where I was born) would not let them film there so
            they went to Whidbey Island instead. You find the same
            type 1898 fortifications at Pensacola Bay.

            Leaving Whidbey by the Deception Pass Bridge-you will
            pass Erie Lake on your left. Take the next turn to the
            left-find the right bearing road to the top of Erie
            Mountain. One of the great views of the NW that can be
            reached easily by car. To the WSW you'll see the
            Olympic Mountain range, to the east you'll see the
            Cascades. If it is really clear-to the south you'll
            see Mt. Ranier just east of Tacoma. Folks from the
            east always tell me their mountains are just as high
            as western mountains in terms of rise from the
            surrounding terrain-but, Mt. Ranier rises to over
            14,400 feet just 3-4 dozen (as-the-crow-flies) miles
            from high tide-line of the Bay---sea level.

            If I wasn't living in Flagstaff, I would envy you.

            No Lyme disease here. Be sure to close pants legs
            against Lyme disease carrying ticks. It has been many
            years since I stopped on a trail in Glacier Park and
            let deer lick the salty sweat off my hands and arms.

            RB: See below

            Mount Rainier
            From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            (Redirected from Mount Ranier)
            Jump to: navigation, search
            For other uses, see Mount Rainier (disambiguation).
            Mount Rainier

            Mount Rainier as viewed from the northeast.
            Elevation 14,411 ft (4,392 m)
            Location Washington State, USA
            Range Cascade Range
            Prominence 13,210 ft (4,026 m) Ranked 21st
            Coordinates 46°51′11.9″N
            121°45′35.6″W / 46.853306,
            -121.759889
            Topo map USGS Mount Rainier West
            Type Stratovolcano
            Volcanic arc/belt Cascade Volcanic Arc
            Age of rock 500,000 years
            Last eruption 1854
            First ascent 1870 by Hazard Stevens and P. B. Van
            Trump
            Easiest route rock/ice climb via Disappointment
            Cleaver
            Mount Rainier is an active[1] stratovolcano (also
            known as a composite volcano) in Pierce County,
            Washington, located 54 miles (87 km) southeast of
            Seattle, Washington, in the United States. It is the
            highest peak in the Cascade Range and Cascade Volcanic
            Arc at 14,410 feet (4,392 m). The mountain and the
            surrounding area are protected within Mount Rainier
            National Park. With 26 major glaciers, Mount Rainier
            is the most heavily glaciated peak in the lower 48
            states with 35 square miles (91 km²) of permanent
            snowfields and glaciers. The summit is topped by two
            volcanic craters, each over 1,000 feet (300 m) in
            diameter with the larger east crater overlapping the
            west crater. Geothermal heat from the volcano keeps
            areas of both crater rims free of snow and ice, and
            has formed an extensive network of glacier caves
            within the ice-filled craters. A small crater lake,
            the highest in North America, occupies the lowest
            portion of the west crater below more than 160 feet
            (50 m) of ice and is accessible only via the caves.

            LocationMount Rainier was originally known as Talol,
            or Tahoma, from the Lushootseed word
            təqʷúʔbəʔ ("mother of
            waters") spoken by the Puyallup. It has a topographic
            prominence of 13,210 feet (4,026 m), greater than that
            of K2. It is a prominent feature of the southern
            landscape in most of the Seattle metropolitan area. On
            clear days, it can also be seen from as far away as
            Portland, Oregon, and Victoria, British Columbia.
            Because of its scenic dominance, Seattle-Tacoma-area
            residents often refer to it simply as "the Mountain."
            [2]

            The Carbon, Puyallup, Mowich, Nisqually, and Cowlitz
            Rivers begin at eponymous glaciers of Mount Rainier.
            The sources of the White River are Winthrop, Emmons,
            and Fryingpan Glaciers. The White, Carbon, and Mowich
            join the Puyallup River, which discharges into
            Commencement Bay at Tacoma; the Nisqually empties into
            Puget Sound east of Lacey; and the Cowlitz joins the
            Columbia River between Kelso and Longview.

            Contents [hide]
            1 Geological history
            2 Human history
            2.1 Naming controversy
            3 Subsidiary peaks
            4 Climbing and recreation
            5 Washington state quarter
            6 See also
            7 References
            8 External links

            [edit] Geological history
            Mount Rainier's earliest lavas are over 840,000 years
            old and are part of the Lily Formation (2.9 million to
            840,000 years ago). The early lavas formed a
            "proto-Rainier" or an ancestral cone prior to the
            present-day cone. The present cone is over 500,000
            years old.[3] The volcano is highly eroded, with
            glaciers on its slopes, and appears to be made mostly
            of andesite. Rainier likely once stood even higher
            than today at about 16,000 feet (4,900 m) before a
            major debris avalanche and the resulting Osceola
            Mudflow 5,000 years ago.

            Hazard map
            One of many emergency evacuation route signs in case
            of volcanic eruption or lahar around Mt. Rainier.In
            the past, Rainier has had large debris avalanches, and
            has also produced enormous lahars (volcanic mudflows)
            due to the large amount of glacial ice present. Its
            lahars have reached all the way to the Puget Sound.
            Around 5,000 years ago, a large chunk of the volcano
            slid away and that debris avalanche helped to produce
            the massive Osceola Mudflow, which went all the way to
            the site of present-day Tacoma and south Seattle.[4]
            This massive avalanche of rock and ice took out the
            top 1,600 feet (500 m) of Rainier, bringing its height
            down to around 14,100 feet (4,300 m). About 530 to 550
            years ago, the Electron Mudflow occurred, although
            this was not as large-scale as the Osceola Mudflow.

            After the major collapse 5,000 years ago, subsequent
            eruptions of lava and tephra built up the modern
            summit cone until about as recently as 1,000 years
            ago. As many as 11 Holocene tephra layers have been
            found.

            The most recent recorded volcanic eruption was between
            1820 and 1854, but many eyewitnesses reported eruptive
            activity in 1858, 1870, 1879, 1882 and 1894 as
            well.[5] As of 2008, there is no imminent risk of
            eruption, but geologists expect that the volcano will
            erupt again.

            Lahars from Rainier pose the most risk to life and
            property, as many communities lie atop older lahar
            deposits. Not only is there much ice atop the volcano,
            the volcano is also slowly being weakened by
            hydrothermal activity. According to Geoff Clayton, a
            geologist with RH2, a repeat of the Osceola mudflow
            would destroy Enumclaw, Kent, Auburn, and most or all
            of Renton.[4] Such a mudflow might also reach down the
            Duwamish estuary and destroy parts of downtown
            Seattle, and cause tsunamis in Puget Sound and Lake
            Washington. According to USGS, about 150,000 people
            live on top of old lahar deposits of Rainier.[1]
            Rainier is also capable of producing pyroclastic flows
            as well as lava.

            Northwest side of Mount Rainier seen from Tacoma.
            Liberty Cap is the visible summit from this view,
            sitting atop the Mowich Face.
            Mount Rainier from space
            [edit] Human history

            The three summits of Mount Rainier: Liberty Cap,
            Columbia Crest, and Point SuccessMount Rainier was
            first known by the Native Americans as Talol, Tahoma,
            or Tacoma, from the Lushootseed word
            təqʷúʔbəʔ ("mother of
            waters") spoken by the Puyallup. At the time of
            European contact, the river valleys and other areas
            near the mountain were inhabited by many Pacific
            Northwest tribes who hunted and gathered berries in
            the forests and mountain meadows. These included the
            Nisqually, Cowlitz, Yakama, Puyallup, and Muckleshoot.

            Captain George Vancouver reached Puget Sound in 1792
            and became the first European to see the mountain. He
            named it in honour of his friend, Rear Admiral Peter
            Rainier.

            In 1833, Dr. William Fraser Tolmie explored the area
            looking for medicinal plants. He was followed by other
            explorers seeking challenge. Hazard Stevens and P. B.
            Van Trump received a hero's welcome in the streets of
            Olympia after their successful summit climb in 1870.
            John Muir climbed Mount Rainier in 1888, and although
            he enjoyed the view, he conceded that it was best
            appreciated from below. Muir was one of many who
            advocated protecting the mountain. In 1893, the area
            was set aside as part of the Pacific Forest Reserve in
            order to protect its physical/economic resources:
            timber and watersheds.

            Citing the need to also protect scenery and provide
            for public enjoyment, railroads and local businesses
            urged the creation of a national park in hopes of
            increased tourism. On March 2, 1899, President William
            McKinley established Mount Rainier National Park as
            America's fifth national park. Congress dedicated the
            new park "for the benefit and enjoyment of the people;
            and...for the preservation from injury or spoliation
            of all timber, mineral deposits, natural curiosities,
            or wonders within said park, and their retention in
            their natural condition."

            In 1998, the United States Geological Survey began
            putting together the Mount Rainier Volcano Lahar
            Warning System to assist in the emergency evacuation
            of the Puyallup River valley in the event of a
            catastrophic debris flow. It is now run by the Pierce
            County Department of Emergency Management. Tacoma, at
            the mouth of the Puyallup, is only 37 miles (60 km)
            west of Rainier, and moderately sized towns such as
            Puyallup and Orting are only 27 miles (43 km) and 20
            miles (32 km) away, respectively.

            [edit] Naming controversy

            1907 Rainier Beer advertisementAlthough "Rainier" had
            been considered the official name of the mountain,
            Theodore Winthrop, in his posthumously published 1862
            travel book The Canoe and the Saddle, claimed the
            indigenous name of the mountain was "Tacoma" and
            afterwards, both names were used interchangeably,
            although "Mt. Tacoma" was preferred in the city of
            Tacoma.[6]

            In 1890, the United States Board on Geographic Names
            declared that the mountain would be known as
            "Rainier". Following this in 1897, the Pacific Forest
            Reserve became the Mount Rainier Forest Reserve, and
            the national park was established two years later.
            Despite this, there was still a movement to change the
            mountain's name to "Tacoma" and Congress was still
            considering a resolution to change the name as late as
            1924.[6]

            After Rainier Brewing Company resumed producing
            "Rainier Beer" after the end of Prohibition and its
            advertisements became ubiquitous in the Seattle-Tacoma
            area, a rumor began circulating that the brewery's
            owner, Emil Sick, had bribed a Washington state
            committee with free beer to promote the name
            "Rainier". This, however, is an urban legend and can
            still be heard today among Tacoma residents who
            preferred the alternate name.[6] Sick did, however,
            purchase the local baseball team and renamed them to
            be the Seattle Rainiers for this purpose.[7]

            [edit] Subsidiary peaks
            The broad top of Mount Rainier contains three named
            summits. The highest is called Columbia Crest. The
            second highest summit is Point Success, 14,158 feet
            (4,315 m), at the southern edge of the summit plateau,
            atop the ridge known as Success Cleaver. It has a
            topographic prominence of about 138 feet (42 m), so it
            is not considered a separate peak. The lowest of the
            three summits is Liberty Cap, 14,112 feet (4,301 m),
            at the northwestern edge, which overlooks Liberty
            Ridge, the Sunset Amphitheater, and the dramatic
            Willis Wall. Liberty Cap has a prominence of 492 feet
            (150 m), and so would qualify as a separate peak under
            most strictly prominence-based rules. A prominence
            cutoff of 400 feet (122 m) is commonly used in
            Washington state.[8] However it is not usually
            considered a separate peak, due to the massive size of
            Mount Rainier, relative to which a 492 foot (150 m)
            drop is not very large.

            High on the eastern flank of Mount Rainier is a peak
            known as Little Tahoma, 11,138 feet (3,395 m), an
            eroded remnant of the earlier, much higher, Mount
            Rainier. It has a prominence of 858 feet (262 m), and
            it is almost never climbed in direct conjunction with
            Columbia Crest, so it is usually considered a separate
            peak. If considered separately from Mt. Rainier,
            Little Tahoma would be the third highest Mountain peak
            in Washington.

            Mountaineers descending from the summit avoid
            crevasses above Emmons Flats Camp.
            [edit] Climbing and recreation
            Mountain climbing on Mount Rainier is difficult; it
            includes climbing on the largest glaciers in the U.S.
            south of Alaska. Most climbers require two to three
            days to reach the summit. Climbing teams require
            experience in glacier travel, self-rescue, and
            wilderness travel. About 8,000 to 13,000 people
            attempt the climb each year,[9] about 90% via routes
            from Camp Muir on the southeast flank.[10] Most of the
            rest ascend Emmons Glacier via Camp Schurman on the
            northeast. About half of the attempts are successful,
            with weather and conditioning being the most common
            reasons for failure. About three mountaineering deaths
            each year occur due to rock and ice fall, avalanche,
            falls, and hypothermia associated with severe weather.

            The north face of Mount Rainier (1932)Hiking,
            photography, and camping are popular in the park.
            Hiking trails, including the Wonderland Trail, a 93
            miles (150 km) circumnavigation of the peak provide
            access to the backcountry. Mount Rainier is also
            popular for winter sports, including snowshoeing and
            cross-country skiing. In summer, visitors pass through
            vast meadows of wildflowers, on trails emanating from
            historic Paradise Inn.

            [edit] Washington state quarter
            The Washington state quarter, which was released on
            April 11, 2007, features Mount Rainier and a salmon.
            [11][12]

            [edit] See also
            Wikimedia Commons has media related to:
            Mount RainierMount Rainier National Park
            Mountain peaks of North America
            Mountain peaks of the United States
            Cascade Volcanoes
            Cascade Range

            Neaby
            --- Paul Marin <adventurenw32@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            > I'm new to hammock camping and can't wait to hit
            > the trail. I made the wonderful discovery of
            > hammock's in late 06 when I still lived on the East
            > Coast. I got to do 1 short trip to a State Park in
            > Va. (False Cape) with my shinny new hammock before
            > my wonderful wife announced that we were pregnant
            > and she wanted to move back home. Home took this
            > Southern East Coast Boy 2500 mile too "Inland"
            > Eastern Washington. I spent most of 07 working,
            > researching areas to hike and camp in, and playing
            > dad to be. Now, in 08 I've secured a couple of
            > hall passes but am still not sure of good locations
            > to go hammock camping at. Anyone, have an
            > suggestions, blogs, clubs, etc.. In Eastern
            > Washington they could point me to that can help me
            > find some good spots?
            >
            > -Thanks

            > removed]

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • adventurenw32
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27, 2008
              Thanks, for the information guys. Sorry, for the late reply but as
              we all know work sucks.

              -Paul

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>