Re: [Hammock Camping] State Park Hanging Rules

  • pure mahem
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1 5:11 PM
      Post it in the rules like everything else! Not special! Using a specified tree hugger device to hang! Already said this stuff. No ropes! No lag screws or items that damage trees. State the use of an Adequate size strap must be used to secure your hamock in a nondamaging way. Shown on one of the wonderful signs with pictures or illustrations they love to plunk down every where, Not that hard realy. If they can post No Hanging then they can post the correct way to hang. Seriously they put one of those Zebra mollusk and water parasite signs at every water launch, not much difference. Most of the parks do make money off people camping there. From what I've seen people that hammock using tree huggers usually leave no trace wouldn't you want those type of people in your park. Granted there are exceptions. Like everything else if your doing it wrong they will find you! Same as they would find you if you were hanging in a no hanging zone period. Honestly these
      people are educated about the law they are not blooming idiots. If some one shows them what a tree hugger looks like you can spot if someone is using them or not long before you would even get to the hang site. Which they would be coming up on anyway to see if your doing any illegal burning, or site modification.

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1 6:59 PM
        well said... & we are special by the way<G>.

        pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:
        Post it in the rules like everything else! Not special! Using a specified tree hugger device to hang! Already said this stuff. No ropes! No lag screws or items that damage trees. State the use of an Adequate size strap must be used to secure your hamock in a nondamaging way. Shown on one of the wonderful signs with pictures or illustrations they love to plunk down every where, Not that hard realy. If they can post No Hanging then they can post the correct way to hang. Seriously they put one of those Zebra mollusk and water parasite signs at every water launch, not much difference. Most of the parks do make money off people camping there. From what I've seen people that hammock using tree huggers usually leave no trace wouldn't you want those type of people in your park. Granted there are exceptions. Like everything else if your doing it wrong they will find you! Same as they would find you if you were hanging in a no hanging zone period. Honestly these
        people are educated about the law they are not blooming idiots. If some one shows them what a tree hugger looks like you can spot if someone is using them or not long before you would even get to the hang site. Which they would be coming up on anyway to see if your doing any illegal burning, or site modification.

        > How do they tell "everyone else" that you are special and just
        > because they see other people hanging stuff off trees with the
        > approval of park staff doesn't mean they can do it too.

        pure mahem top posted:
        > They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell.

        The part you avoided is the key part. How do park staff tell everyone
        else that you're special?

        Moz

        In the beginning there was nothing. Which exploded.
        (Terry Pratchett)

      • David Fox
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1 10:31 PM
          Tell everyone else to go over and look at their setup?

          > How do they tell "everyone else" that you are special and just
          > because they see other people hanging stuff off trees with the
          > approval of park staff doesn't mean they can do it too.

          pure mahem top posted:
          > They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell.

          The part you avoided is the key part. How do park staff tell everyone
          else that you're special?

          Moz

          In the beginning there was nothing. Which exploded.
          (Terry Pratchett)

        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 2 6:10 AM
            Ah, one big assumption here - that there will be staff present when the "set
            up" is set up. Staffing is and will be a problem, people still hang things
            with the "no hanging" rules. Even tho the ranger specifically pointed that
            rule out when we signed in and circiled it on the paper. We still saw other
            people hang stuff.

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 2 7:05 AM
              I can only speak for my own experiences. Although we don't have the no hang rules up hear, we do have the leave no trace rules which the rangers remind us of. If I am out in the back country I don't usually see anyone. But 9 out of 10 times when I am at a public site the ranger will come around and check your site. If your doing something wrong they will leave a calling card on your tent door zipper or where you will definately see it for you to meet with them at the check in point to discuss the issue. They have no quams about telling you if you are doing something wrong and it can be as simple as moving a rock to build up the already existing fire ring, the fire ring is adequate please do not disturb the terrain, thank you. They are always polite about it but they are there and they want you to know that they do have rules and they want them followed. Just my experience. Yours may be different. They have never had any issue with me using a tree to hang
              my hammock and have even pointed out a time or too good to see your using the protective straps to keep from harming the tree. They probably have told people using ropes to take them down if it appeared it was doing anyharm or might do harm to the tree.