Re: [Hammock Camping] State Park Hanging Rules

  • pure mahem
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
      They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell. Are you using tree huggers or a wide protective strap to hang from the tree? That would be my biggest clue. Suggest a possible rule of hanging only allowed with use of tree hugging protective straps, no ropes or eye hooks or damaging hanging device allowed. That's how I would define the rule. As long as it didn't include snails.

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
        State parks, campgrounds, and other areas that get heavily used are
        different from wilderness areas where it isn't likely that the trees
        will see hammocks on a regular basis. There are sometimes issues with
        moss or snails or whatever. Some trees you may not want to hang from
        because the tree or its bark is just fragile in nature.

        Then there is how much force you are putting on the hammock suspension
        lines, that will also influence how much that force needs to be spread
        out. Occupants weight and how the hammock is hung greatly influence
        the amount of force on the hammock suspension lines. There is a lot
        of difference in a 100 pounds in a hammock with the suspension lines
        at a 30 degree sag angle versus 250 pounds in a hammock with the
        suspension lines at a 15 degree sag angle... roughly 100 pounds per
        suspension line versus 500 pounds.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:

        > They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell.
        Are you using tree huggers or a wide protective strap to hang from the
        tree? That would be my biggest clue. Suggest a possible rule of
        hanging only allowed with use of tree hugging protective straps, no
        ropes or eye hooks or damaging hanging device allowed. That's how I
        would define the rule. As long as it didn't include snails.

      • Moz
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
          Moz:
          > How do they tell "everyone else" that you are special and just
          > because they see other people hanging stuff off trees with the
          > approval of park staff doesn't mean they can do it too.

          pure mahem top posted:
          > They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell.

          The part you avoided is the key part. How do park staff tell everyone
          else that you're special?

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
            Post it in the rules like everything else! Not special! Using a specified tree hugger device to hang! Already said this stuff. No ropes! No lag screws or items that damage trees. State the use of an Adequate size strap must be used to secure your hamock in a nondamaging way. Shown on one of the wonderful signs with pictures or illustrations they love to plunk down every where, Not that hard realy. If they can post No Hanging then they can post the correct way to hang. Seriously they put one of those Zebra mollusk and water parasite signs at every water launch, not much difference. Most of the parks do make money off people camping there. From what I've seen people that hammock using tree huggers usually leave no trace wouldn't you want those type of people in your park. Granted there are exceptions. Like everything else if your doing it wrong they will find you! Same as they would find you if you were hanging in a no hanging zone period. Honestly these
            people are educated about the law they are not blooming idiots. If some one shows them what a tree hugger looks like you can spot if someone is using them or not long before you would even get to the hang site. Which they would be coming up on anyway to see if your doing any illegal burning, or site modification.

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
              well said... & we are special by the way<G>.

              pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:
              Post it in the rules like everything else! Not special! Using a specified tree hugger device to hang! Already said this stuff. No ropes! No lag screws or items that damage trees. State the use of an Adequate size strap must be used to secure your hamock in a nondamaging way. Shown on one of the wonderful signs with pictures or illustrations they love to plunk down every where, Not that hard realy. If they can post No Hanging then they can post the correct way to hang. Seriously they put one of those Zebra mollusk and water parasite signs at every water launch, not much difference. Most of the parks do make money off people camping there. From what I've seen people that hammock using tree huggers usually leave no trace wouldn't you want those type of people in your park. Granted there are exceptions. Like everything else if your doing it wrong they will find you! Same as they would find you if you were hanging in a no hanging zone period. Honestly these
              people are educated about the law they are not blooming idiots. If some one shows them what a tree hugger looks like you can spot if someone is using them or not long before you would even get to the hang site. Which they would be coming up on anyway to see if your doing any illegal burning, or site modification.

              > How do they tell "everyone else" that you are special and just
              > because they see other people hanging stuff off trees with the
              > approval of park staff doesn't mean they can do it too.

              pure mahem top posted:
              > They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell.

              The part you avoided is the key part. How do park staff tell everyone
              else that you're special?

              Moz

              In the beginning there was nothing. Which exploded.
              (Terry Pratchett)

            • David Fox
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                Tell everyone else to go over and look at their setup?

                > How do they tell "everyone else" that you are special and just
                > because they see other people hanging stuff off trees with the
                > approval of park staff doesn't mean they can do it too.

                pure mahem top posted:
                > They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell.

                The part you avoided is the key part. How do park staff tell everyone
                else that you're special?

                Moz

                In the beginning there was nothing. Which exploded.
                (Terry Pratchett)

              • Carey Parks
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                  Ah, one big assumption here - that there will be staff present when the "set
                  up" is set up. Staffing is and will be a problem, people still hang things
                  with the "no hanging" rules. Even tho the ranger specifically pointed that
                  rule out when we signed in and circiled it on the paper. We still saw other
                  people hang stuff.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                    I can only speak for my own experiences. Although we don't have the no hang rules up hear, we do have the leave no trace rules which the rangers remind us of. If I am out in the back country I don't usually see anyone. But 9 out of 10 times when I am at a public site the ranger will come around and check your site. If your doing something wrong they will leave a calling card on your tent door zipper or where you will definately see it for you to meet with them at the check in point to discuss the issue. They have no quams about telling you if you are doing something wrong and it can be as simple as moving a rock to build up the already existing fire ring, the fire ring is adequate please do not disturb the terrain, thank you. They are always polite about it but they are there and they want you to know that they do have rules and they want them followed. Just my experience. Yours may be different. They have never had any issue with me using a tree to hang
                    my hammock and have even pointed out a time or too good to see your using the protective straps to keep from harming the tree. They probably have told people using ropes to take them down if it appeared it was doing anyharm or might do harm to the tree.