  • the gnome of blue island
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 29, 2008
      the gnome of blue island
      a properly humg H will cause no damage in the first place ergo no damage to fix. ,but never argue with a bureaucrat, it just is not possible, smile, and go about your business!

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 29, 2008
        how true<G>.

        the gnome of blue island <shortdottedline@...> wrote:
        the gnome of blue island
        a properly humg H will cause no damage in the first place ergo no damage to fix. ,but never argue with a bureaucrat, it just is not possible, smile, and go about your business!

      • Rodney Diseker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2009
          I have used my overcover and SS into the upper 20s.
          I had one bad experience with the overcover on a wet, windy
          Middle 30s night. I was using the OC as an end cover to block
          Some wind, but I ended up with severe condensation on the sides
          Of the SS. I am sure I could have prevented some of this by using
          A cover on my face. I believe most of this moisture came from my
          Breath. In the future I will not use the OC in very humid conditions.

          In my experience the OC works great in cold dry conditions. I allways pitch my MC Dlx low to block the cold wind, and look for big trees to cover the ends.

          I just purchased a Speer WT to help with wind block.

          Rodney
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jan 11, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Austin Meyer <austin.47905@...> wrote:

          Has anyone used the Hennessey overcover? there's a claim of a 6-10 degree advantage in cold weather, next question With a Hennessey hammock, MacCat Deluxe tarp and a JBR Nest with a type 2 weather shield in mind , Will the open ended nature of the tarp system keep me warm and my feet dry on windy cold wet winter nights in the southern Appachains Been stuck on the ground way to long!
          Austin

        • Barb
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2009
            My husband and I both have Clark Jungle Hammocks with their large
            tarps and we have stayed perfectly dry and warm through two really
            bad rain/thunderstorms with wind. We kept waiting to get wet like
            everyone else, but it never happened. Now when we go camping we want
            it to rain! The design of their tarps is such that they can be
            velcroed together on the ends to sort of cocoon your hammock. I will
            never camp on the ground again. Our friends who camped with us last
            year now want hammocks for camping too since they were literally
            floating in their tents that trip. Our gear stayed dry too because
            the Clark hammocks have outside pockets for your gear. AWESOME
            product.....love it!

            Barb

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rodney Diseker

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2009
              I did not realize the Clark tarp had that feature! I think the Speer WT will be a tremendous boost to my Winter hikes.

              I have never gotten wet in my hammock, but I do use a relatively large tarp. When rain is looming, I pitch my tarp lower.

              I would like to amend my previous post. I used my SS, heat sheet, CCF pad, OC and Montbell bag on top into the upper 20s.I am a warm sleeper, and could stand to lose 40 #s. If I were thinner I would have froze.

              Rodney

              > My husband and I both have Clark Jungle Hammocks with their
              > large
              > tarps and we have stayed perfectly dry and warm through two
              > really
              > bad rain/thunderstorms with wind. We kept waiting to get
              > wet like
              > everyone else, but it never happened. Now when we go
              > camping we want
              > it to rain! The design of their tarps is such that they
              > can be
              > velcroed together on the ends to sort of cocoon your
              > hammock. I will
              > never camp on the ground again. Our friends who camped
              > with us last
              > year now want hammocks for camping too since they were
              > literally
              > floating in their tents that trip. Our gear stayed dry too
              > because
              > the Clark hammocks have outside pockets for your gear.
              > AWESOME
              > product.....love it!
              >
              > Barb
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rodney Diseker
              > <rod_knee_d@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have used my overcover and SS into the upper 20s.
              > > I had one bad experience with the overcover on a wet,
              > windy
              > > Middle 30s night. I was using the OC as an end cover
              > to block
              > > Some wind, but I ended up with severe condensation on
              > the sides
              > > Of the SS. I am sure I could have prevented some of
              > this by using
              > > A cover on my face. I believe most of this moisture
              > came from my
              > > Breath. In the future I will not use the OC in very
              > humid
              > conditions.
              > >
              > > In my experience the OC works great in cold dry
              > conditions. I
              > allways pitch my MC Dlx low to block the cold wind, and
              > look for big
              > trees to cover the ends.
              > >
              > > I just purchased a Speer WT to help with wind block.
              > >
              > > Rodney
              > > Sent from my iPhone
              > >
              > > On Jan 11, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Austin Meyer
              > <austin.47905@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Has anyone used the Hennessey overcover? there's a
              > claim of a 6-10
              > degree advantage in cold weather, next question With a
              > Hennessey
              > hammock, MacCat Deluxe tarp and a JBR Nest with a type 2
              > weather
              > shield in mind , Will the open ended nature of the tarp
              > system keep
              > me warm and my feet dry on windy cold wet winter nights in
              > the
              > southern Appachains Been stuck on the ground way to long!
              > >

              > Austin

            • Barb
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 13, 2009
                I forgot to mention that the outer pockets on the Clark Hammocks, when stuffed with your gear, act as more insulation so you stay much warmer in the winter time.  I've stayed warm in my hammock down to 20 degrees using a Big Agnes insulated pad, and a Western Mountaineering 35 degree down mummy bag.  I am a cold sleeper for the first half of the night so I was also wearing long underwear, fleece pants, and a very thin down jacket.  For extra warmth I add my sleeping bag liner.....can't remember what type....but it was one of the recommended expensive ones.  I don't like using it because I feel like I get tangled in it, but honestly for getting extra cozy when using this liner it's like someone turned on a furnace.  It definitely increased the temperature by at least ten degrees.

                We are looking forward to hammock camping again but it is pretty cold here in Indiana in the winter and I'm not sure we are up to super cold temps!