State Park Hanging Rules

  • eglonwv
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 27, 2008
      I am planning a biking/camping tour of several states starting in
      April. I know the FL state parks don't like me hanging my HH.

      How are the rules for hanging in the state parks of AL, GA, MS, TN, NC
      and VA?

      LeeG
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
        i've used a couple state parks in NC & VA. as far as i can gather, there's not a set policy against using hammocks in those state parks. it mainly has to do w/ the rangers that are present at the time.
        i would hope that you would be fine in most cases (in those states) but i could make no guarantees. i would have a nice thick air mat ready in case i was told i couldn't hang from the trees in a campground.
        there would also be a chance (especially on a busy weekend) that you couldn't get a site w/ decent trees for hanging.
        and i've decided that instead of asking, it better to go ahead & hang, using straps that protect the tree of course. JMHO ...tim

        eglonwv <eglonwv@...> wrote:
        I am planning a biking/camping tour of several states starting in
        April. I know the FL state parks don't like me hanging my HH.

        How are the rules for hanging in the state parks of AL, GA, MS, TN, NC
        and VA?

        LeeG

      • pure mahem
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
          I think a lot of the no hammock things in state parks is eminating from the thought that you are going to screw a huge eye hook into the tree. I think if they see you are using straps to protect the trees you'll be fine. Maybe some well written letters to the representatives can get the wording changed in the laws so we won't get hastled all the time. JMO!!!

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
            Not in Florida, it wouldn't be (fine). They do not allow anything at
            all to be hung from a tree.

            sandy in miami

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...>
            wrote:

            > I think a lot of the no hammock things in state parks is eminating
            from the thought that you are going to screw a huge eye hook into the
            tree. I think if they see you are using straps to protect the trees
            you'll be fine. Maybe some well written letters to the
            representatives can get the wording changed in the laws so we won't
            get hastled all the time. JMO!!!

          • Tod Massa
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
              All these states have official websites for the state parks. Often they will have general regulations or FAQs that address the question. In Virginia these are found at: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/faq.shtml . There is no general prohibition against hanging or tying to trees. There is a request to avoid permanent damage to trees specific to no nails (or screws) or lanterns in trees.

              Tod

[...]

              http://www.yahoo com/r/hs

            • scot
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
                When we stayed at the Florida State Park near the Everglades, we were
                told things could not be hung on trees because of a species of endangered snail.
                The snails eat a moss or fungus (don't remember the exact details) that grows losely
                on the tree trunks and they don't want it scrapped or rubbed off.

                In my home state of Indiana, they prohibit anything tied to trees in State Parks because of damage done in the past by dining flies, clothes lines, pet leashed, etc. When you talk to the rangers you soon realize that they will not yield on the rules. Many are interested in the hammocks and understand that the hanging mechanisms used are designed to avoid tree damage, but "thems the rules". There are a few State Parks here that provide some campsites with poles that can be used to stretch a hammock from.

              • list@moz.geek.nz
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
                  > In my home state of Indiana, they prohibit anything tied to trees in State
                  > Parks because of damage done in the past by dining flies, clothes lines,
                  > pet leashed, etc.

                  And they've often seen it all. It's not so much that they don't believe
                  you, it's that they don't think you will fix any damage you do, even if
                  they catch you before you leave. I agree with them - fixing up a tree
                  is pretty darn hard to do, even if you're a tree. Replacing the tree
                  is similarly difficult since it still takes us 200 years to grow a 200
                  year old tree, despite the awesome array of technology we have available.

                  So since you can't make amaends for any damage, it's better to try to
                  prevent you doing the damage in the first place.

                  Moz
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
                    list@... wrote:
                    And they've often seen it all. It's not so much that they don't believe
                    you, it's that they don't think you will fix any damage you do, even if
                    they catch you before you leave. I agree with them - fixing up a tree
                    is pretty darn hard to do, even if you're a tree. Replacing the tree
                    is similarly difficult since it still takes us 200 years to grow a 200
                    year old tree, despite the awesome array of technology we have available.

                    So since you can't make amaends for any damage, it's better to try to
                    prevent you doing the damage in the first place.

                    Moz

                    i think what would really be better would be that park managers take the time to look at what will really harm the trees rather than throw a blanket over any use of trees.
                    that's kind of a "cop out"<G>. ...tim

                  • Arye P. R.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
                      The problem is not everyone is as knowledgable and responsable as us. Others would leave string and ropes tied to trees and attach screws and all other things to the trees for any purpose. They do not know the outer layers of a tree are the 'living parts'. Bark is a tree's armor and protects the tree from outside attacks. When the bark is gone even in a small area there is a problem. It is like the human skin. BTW - There is a process called girdling a tree to kill it.

                      While one hammock may not do any harm over a short time there are only so many trees sutable for hammock hanging in well traveled areas and those trees will be used over and over again and will suffer injury.
                      Hummm... I can see it now the homeless with hammocks lounging in the state parks of states with warmer .

                      I see the 'tree hanging' regulations as kinda like motorcycle helmet laws or left turn on red laws. A lot don't know of them, are suprised to hear of them and do not understand why.

                      wait I can see a new product line... State approved hammock hanging belts...

                      Sapere Aude,

                      My 50 cents (2 cents adjusted for inflation)

                      Arye P. Rubenstein

                      It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

                      Albert Einstein

                    • Dar
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
                        Did you miss the point that they are not protecting just trees?

                        Moss, snails, ground cover, flora, fauna, insects, animals, and various
                        environmental elements need protection.

                        Also, don't forget that most hangers/campers/packers do not use their
                        equipment properly. As well, many feel entitled if they see others
                        doing what they want to do.

                        Why further burden overworked and underpaid Park personnel?

                        --- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

                        [snip]

                        > i think what would really be better would be that park managers
                        > take the time to look at what will really harm the trees rather than
                        > throw a blanket over any use of trees.
                        > that's kind of a "cop out"<G>. ...tim

                        Be a better friend, newshound, and
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
                          Dar <rigpilot@...> wrote: Did you miss the point that they are not protecting just trees?

                          Moss, snails, ground cover, flora, fauna, insects, animals, and various
                          environmental elements need protection.

                          Also, don't forget that most hangers/campers/packers do not use their
                          equipment properly. As well, many feel entitled if they see others
                          doing what they want to do.

                          Why further burden overworked and underpaid Park personnel?

                          REPLY... i wasn't referring to the protection of the snails... i understand the need there. i was referring to park management in other areas learning about the growing art of hammocking & separating the issues of irresponsible campers that abuse trees from those who are using the trees in a responsible way.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 28, 2008
                            > REPLY... i wasn't referring to the protection of the snails... i
                            > understand the need there. i was referring to park management in other
                            > areas learning about the growing art of hammocking & separating the issues
                            > of irresponsible campers that abuse trees from those who are using the
                            > trees in a responsible way.

                            How do park staff quickly distinguish between the responsible hammock
                            users and everyone else? How do they tell "everyone else" that you are
                            special and just because they see other people hanging stuff off trees
                            with the approval of park staff doesn't mean they can do it too.

                            Moz
                            In the beginning there was nothing. Which exploded.
                            (Terry Pratchett)
                          • pure mahem
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 1 3:43 AM
                              I got the point of the snails! Guess I'm glad I don't have to worry about that up here in the North Woods, all we got is some common moss, less bugs, more trees than you can shake a stick at, no snakes, and beautiful mountains! This will always be my home. I think it's important to take into consideration that not everyone can understand local regional concerns as not everyone lives in that area. Up here the eye hook or sawing action of ropes on the trees would be the only reason you wouldn't be allowed to hang a hammock. Nobody said anything about no endangered snails in the origninal post. And as it has been mentioned a lot about no hanging in Florida I don't recall anyone posting about no snails until they just pointed it out recently. So I was just trying to help with a suggestion not knowing about the snails. Take a chill pill!

                              Did you miss the point that they are not protecting just trees?

                              Moss, snails, ground cover, flora, fauna, insects, animals, and various
                              environmental elements need protection.

                              Also, don't forget that most hangers/campers/ packers do not use their
                              equipment properly. As well, many feel entitled if they see others
                              doing what they want to do.

                              Why further burden overworked and underpaid Park personnel?

                              [snip]

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 1 3:47 AM
                                They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell. Are you using tree huggers or a wide protective strap to hang from the tree? That would be my biggest clue. Suggest a possible rule of hanging only allowed with use of tree hugging protective straps, no ropes or eye hooks or damaging hanging device allowed. That's how I would define the rule. As long as it didn't include snails.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 1 5:41 AM
                                  State parks, campgrounds, and other areas that get heavily used are
                                  different from wilderness areas where it isn't likely that the trees
                                  will see hammocks on a regular basis. There are sometimes issues with
                                  moss or snails or whatever. Some trees you may not want to hang from
                                  because the tree or its bark is just fragile in nature.

                                  Then there is how much force you are putting on the hammock suspension
                                  lines, that will also influence how much that force needs to be spread
                                  out. Occupants weight and how the hammock is hung greatly influence
                                  the amount of force on the hammock suspension lines. There is a lot
                                  of difference in a 100 pounds in a hammock with the suspension lines
                                  at a 30 degree sag angle versus 250 pounds in a hammock with the
                                  suspension lines at a 15 degree sag angle... roughly 100 pounds per
                                  suspension line versus 500 pounds.

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:

                                  > They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell.
                                  Are you using tree huggers or a wide protective strap to hang from the
                                  tree? That would be my biggest clue. Suggest a possible rule of
                                  hanging only allowed with use of tree hugging protective straps, no
                                  ropes or eye hooks or damaging hanging device allowed. That's how I
                                  would define the rule. As long as it didn't include snails.

                                • Moz
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 1 3:36 PM
                                    Moz:
                                    > How do they tell "everyone else" that you are special and just
                                    > because they see other people hanging stuff off trees with the
                                    > approval of park staff doesn't mean they can do it too.

                                    pure mahem top posted:
                                    > They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell.

                                    The part you avoided is the key part. How do park staff tell everyone
                                    else that you're special?

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 1 5:11 PM
                                      Post it in the rules like everything else! Not special! Using a specified tree hugger device to hang! Already said this stuff. No ropes! No lag screws or items that damage trees. State the use of an Adequate size strap must be used to secure your hamock in a nondamaging way. Shown on one of the wonderful signs with pictures or illustrations they love to plunk down every where, Not that hard realy. If they can post No Hanging then they can post the correct way to hang. Seriously they put one of those Zebra mollusk and water parasite signs at every water launch, not much difference. Most of the parks do make money off people camping there. From what I've seen people that hammock using tree huggers usually leave no trace wouldn't you want those type of people in your park. Granted there are exceptions. Like everything else if your doing it wrong they will find you! Same as they would find you if you were hanging in a no hanging zone period. Honestly these
                                      people are educated about the law they are not blooming idiots. If some one shows them what a tree hugger looks like you can spot if someone is using them or not long before you would even get to the hang site. Which they would be coming up on anyway to see if your doing any illegal burning, or site modification.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 1 6:59 PM
                                        well said... & we are special by the way<G>.

                                        pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:
                                        Post it in the rules like everything else! Not special! Using a specified tree hugger device to hang! Already said this stuff. No ropes! No lag screws or items that damage trees. State the use of an Adequate size strap must be used to secure your hamock in a nondamaging way. Shown on one of the wonderful signs with pictures or illustrations they love to plunk down every where, Not that hard realy. If they can post No Hanging then they can post the correct way to hang. Seriously they put one of those Zebra mollusk and water parasite signs at every water launch, not much difference. Most of the parks do make money off people camping there. From what I've seen people that hammock using tree huggers usually leave no trace wouldn't you want those type of people in your park. Granted there are exceptions. Like everything else if your doing it wrong they will find you! Same as they would find you if you were hanging in a no hanging zone period. Honestly these
                                        people are educated about the law they are not blooming idiots. If some one shows them what a tree hugger looks like you can spot if someone is using them or not long before you would even get to the hang site. Which they would be coming up on anyway to see if your doing any illegal burning, or site modification.

                                        > How do they tell "everyone else" that you are special and just
                                        > because they see other people hanging stuff off trees with the
                                        > approval of park staff doesn't mean they can do it too.

                                        pure mahem top posted:
                                        > They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell.

                                        The part you avoided is the key part. How do park staff tell everyone
                                        else that you're special?

                                        Moz

                                        In the beginning there was nothing. Which exploded.
                                        (Terry Pratchett)

                                      • David Fox
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 1 10:31 PM
                                          Tell everyone else to go over and look at their setup?

                                          > How do they tell "everyone else" that you are special and just
                                          > because they see other people hanging stuff off trees with the
                                          > approval of park staff doesn't mean they can do it too.

                                          pure mahem top posted:
                                          > They should be able to tell the same way most hammockers can tell.

                                          The part you avoided is the key part. How do park staff tell everyone
                                          else that you're special?

                                          Moz

                                          In the beginning there was nothing. Which exploded.
                                          (Terry Pratchett)

                                        • Carey Parks
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 2 6:10 AM
                                            Ah, one big assumption here - that there will be staff present when the "set
                                            up" is set up. Staffing is and will be a problem, people still hang things
                                            with the "no hanging" rules. Even tho the ranger specifically pointed that
                                            rule out when we signed in and circiled it on the paper. We still saw other
                                            people hang stuff.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 2 7:05 AM
                                              I can only speak for my own experiences. Although we don't have the no hang rules up hear, we do have the leave no trace rules which the rangers remind us of. If I am out in the back country I don't usually see anyone. But 9 out of 10 times when I am at a public site the ranger will come around and check your site. If your doing something wrong they will leave a calling card on your tent door zipper or where you will definately see it for you to meet with them at the check in point to discuss the issue. They have no quams about telling you if you are doing something wrong and it can be as simple as moving a rock to build up the already existing fire ring, the fire ring is adequate please do not disturb the terrain, thank you. They are always polite about it but they are there and they want you to know that they do have rules and they want them followed. Just my experience. Yours may be different. They have never had any issue with me using a tree to hang
                                              my hammock and have even pointed out a time or too good to see your using the protective straps to keep from harming the tree. They probably have told people using ropes to take them down if it appeared it was doing anyharm or might do harm to the tree.