RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: what do you think of this rainfly

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 15, 2008
      Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote: It seems that this is a none ENO product friendly crowd.. I have used
      them for the past 3 years. My best friend his dad and I havent run in
      to issues that the last 2 ppl have posted about. I guess it's a matter
      of personal experience.

      As the say
      To each there own

      Billy

      no, i like the ENO hammocks just fine. it's just that particular tarp that i'm not so crazy about.
      i'm afraid that if you get caught in a blowing rain, you may run into problems with it too. but i hope not. ...tim

    • Billy Chard
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 15, 2008
        Thanks for touching base with me about that Tim. I have enjoyed the
        information that I have gleened from this website,
        Most ppl here I have noticed use square or diamond shaped tarps? Is that
        correct? What does that give you? I mean what benefits do you get form
        that shape that I wont get from the ENO fly

        Billy

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 15, 2008
          i like using a rectangle tarp & i've been w/ people using hex shape which is really kinda like a rectangle w/ the corners trimmed down. i like the hex as well.
          some rectangle & hex shaped tarps have catenary cut edges that help keep the tarp tight & shed the wind better, but i've not seen any others that have as "deep" of catenary cuts as the ENO drifly.

          some people seem to get by just fine w/ a diamond shape but i stay away from them for the same reason i shy away from the ENO drifly... not enough extra coverage on the sides.

          in a lot of cases, a person could get by OK w/ less coverage on the sides even w/ blowing rain, but a lot of folks (including myself) end up liking the extra protection.
          with bigger sides i can still hang the tarp higher on a rainy night (or day) & have a much more "open" feel.

          also i usually keep a dry area under the hammock were my pack may be laying & were i may heat water for food or hot drink.

          the very deep cuts on the ENO drifly leave you only the protection of a very narrow tarp.

          also it's made of a coated material rather than silnylon. that does make it less expensive, but backpackers are often looking for ways to reduce bulk & weight.
          but that's just my opinion. the ENO drifly is still a nice looking tarp. ...tim

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 17, 2008
            Dont get me wrong, i really love their hammocks. ive had an 1/8 inch
            hole in the bottom of my hammock ( check kids pockets before letting
            them play in them) for about 2 years and i still use it as often as i
            can. their hammocks are first rate as far as im concerned. im not
            sure exactly what material they use but its definitely strong and
            still hasnt ripped out on me yet so kudos to them for their hammocks.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...>