quick test proves successful...

  • robi dawson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 25, 2003
      Hi everybody,

      frustrated with a friend who says hammocks just cannot be comfortable and
      that camping in one is ridiculous i set out to prove him wrong.

      Discussing the up coming week long camp we will be at he told me there is
      no way he or his son could sleep in a hammock. Tents are bad enough, forget
      about hammocks. he was resigned to his son sleeping very little and not
      well at the camp.

      My son and I grabbed a bed spread, placed it on the floor, asked Pisti, my
      friends son, to lay on it. We gathered up the ends and picked him up. We
      tried to have the darn thing hanging as close to optimal hammock hanging as
      possible and he said it was great. so the father took over for Aron and we
      set up the *hammock* on the backs of two chairs, sitting in the chairs we
      held on to the material. Pisti actually slept, well, started taking his
      afternoon nap . We could not hold on very long, he was in it sg like 15
      minutes.

      This test was enough to convince the father that hammocks rock.

      now, if i can score good material what about sewing one by hand?

      I know it sounds crazy but i have not machine yet and i was thinking of
      sewing one for Pisti for the upcoming trip! Heck if i can sew fast enough i
      might even make one for Aron. Both kids are light so i think the stitching
      would hold... for me and my fat butt, well, 100 kg is more than i would
      want to risk in a hand sewn hammock.

      robi
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2003
        here is another photo of the snake for anyone who cares. it is 004
        in the same Big Frog folder. I did not take many good pics. Sorry

        Coy Boy

        > For those that are interested, I posted high resolution photos of
        the
        > rattle snake in the PHOTOS section of the BIG FROG WILDERNESS
        > folder. It is difficult to find the snake in the smaller low-
        > resolution photos, they are hard to spot when they are in
        > grass/leaves and aren't moving.
        >

        > Youngblood
      • robi dawson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2003
          younblood.

          i checked out the snakes... cool.. i could not see it in the first picture but the second two, nice... of course i am always nervous around snakes... too many silly movies when i ws a kid i guess....

          thanks for the pictures.

          robi

          At 03:04 AM 6/27/03 +0000, you wrote:
          here is another photo of the snake for anyone who cares.  it is 004
          in the same Big Frog folder.  I did not take many good pics.  Sorry

          Coy Boy

          > For those that are interested, I posted high resolution photos of
          the
          > rattle snake in the PHOTOS section of the BIG FROG WILDERNESS
          > folder.  It is difficult to find the snake in the smaller low-
          > resolution photos, they are hard to spot when they are in
          > grass/leaves and aren't moving.
          >

          > Youngblood

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          843a4.jpg
          8447e.jpg

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
            wrote:
            > younblood.
            >
            > i checked out the snakes... cool.. i could not see it in the first
            picture
            > but the second two, nice... of course i am always nervous around
            snakes...
            > too many silly movies when i ws a kid i guess....
            >
            > thanks for the pictures.
            >
            > robi

            Thanks Robie. In the first picture, he is hard to spot but he is in
            the center of the photo. It is a good thing to be a little nervous
            around snakes, especially ones like this. However, they are not
            monsters out to 'get you', they are really quite beautiful if you are
            not extemely afraid of them. I worry about them a little more than I
            did before I started using a hammock, since I seem to spend a little
            more time in the brush. With a hammock I usually set up where tents
            have not been and in the southeast that pretty much means low
            brush/grassy areas during leaf-out season.

            Youngblood
          • robi dawson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
              youngblood,

              i forgot in my early post that i nearly stepped on a snake when hiking in Utah when i was 13 or so. same weekend some rock climber in Utah put his hand up on a ledge to pull himself up and got bit.. combined with silly movies this stuff scared the begeezus out of me....

              snakes in and of themselves are actually cool animals. would love to have a pet one.. but out in the wild i just nervous i might step on one....

              Webbing...

              donation one material wise arrived today... enough nylon for a hammock and maybe a fly or two kids sized hammocks, have to measure the kids/material....

              i went out to see what i could buy for guide lines and webbing... the only thing i could find webbing wise that holds more than 150 pounds is either very, very expensive, and about 1 inch... it holds up to a ton they say.. or stuff that is just over 1.75 inches and cheap. so i bought that but man does it seem bulky... could the thinner, costlier stuff prove to be that much more compact?

              what exactly is grosgrain? i need to come up with sg for the fly - could it be left out? i assume that would jeopardize durability of the fly....

              now all i got to do is find a sewing machine to use or sew by hand.... and i want to sleep in this thing tomorrow...
              wrote:
              > younblood.
              >
              > i checked out the snakes... cool.. i could not see it in the first
              picture
              > but the second two, nice... of course i am always nervous around
              snakes...
              > too many silly movies when i ws a kid i guess....
              >
              > thanks for the pictures.
              >
              > robi

              Thanks Robie.  In the first picture, he is hard to spot but he is in
              the center of the photo.  It is a good thing to be a little nervous
              around snakes, especially ones like this.  However, they are not
              monsters out to 'get you', they are really quite beautiful if you are
              not extemely afraid of them.  I worry about them a little more than I
              did before I started using a hammock, since I seem to spend a little
              more time in the brush.  With a hammock I usually set up where tents
              have not been and in the southeast that pretty much means low
              brush/grassy areas during leaf-out season.

              Youngblood

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              1e43790.jpg
              1e43835.jpg