Re: what do you think of this rainfly

  • Greg Dunlap
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 12, 2008
      I've had one on order since December, they say they are not coming in
      until March sometime.

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 13, 2008
        when i saw pictures of the ENO dri fly, i had suspicions that those "deep" cat cuts would leave a lot of open exposure on the sides & ends.
        a friend confirmed that to be the case in his opinion.

        for not much more cash you can get a lot better coverage & for less weight & bulk w/ something like one of the speer silnylon tarps. ...tim

        Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote:
        I'll Toss my input in here
        Take a look at this one

        http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/dry-fly-rain-tarp.html

        its 12 x 9.5 and weighs in at 22oz I have used it in Decent rain and
        wind and haven't had any trouble staying dry.

        There my 2 cents

        Billy
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
          I bought one of these eagles nest flys about 5 years ago. i
          definitely would not reccomend them. i get wet in even the lightest
          of rains. and i find the extra stakes required for pitching bulky for
          a tarp catered to
          backpackers

          > when i saw pictures of the ENO dri fly, i had suspicions that
          those "deep" cat cuts would leave a lot of open exposure on the sides
          & ends.
          > a friend confirmed that to be the case in his opinion.
          >
          > for not much more cash you can get a lot better coverage & for
          less weight & bulk w/ something like one of the speer silnylon
          tarps. ...tim

          > Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote:
          > I'll Toss my input in here
          > Take a look at this one
          >
          > http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/dry-fly-rain-tarp.html
          >
          > its 12 x 9.5 and weighs in at 22oz I have used it in Decent rain and
          > wind and haven't had any trouble staying dry.
          >
          > There my 2 cents
          >
          > Billy

        • CHRIS NIMON
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
            I bought one of these eagles nest flys about 5 years ago. i
            definitely would not reccomend them. i get wet in even the lightest
            of rains. and i find the extra stakes required for pitching bulky for
            a tarp catered to
            backpackers

            > when i saw pictures of the ENO dri fly, i had suspicions that
            those "deep" cat cuts would leave a lot of open exposure on the sides
            & ends.
            > a friend confirmed that to be the case in his opinion.
            >
            > for not much more cash you can get a lot better coverage & for
            less weight & bulk w/ something like one of the speer silnylon
            tarps. ...tim

            > Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote:
            > I'll Toss my input in here
            > Take a look at this one
            >
            > http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/dry-fly-rain-tarp.html
            >
            > its 12 x 9.5 and weighs in at 22oz I have used it in Decent rain and
            > wind and haven't had any trouble staying dry.
            >
            > There my 2 cents
            >
            > Billy

          • Billy Chard
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
              It seems that this is a none ENO product friendly crowd.. I have used
              them for the past 3 years. My best friend his dad and I havent run in
              to issues that the last 2 ppl have posted about. I guess it's a matter
              of personal experience.

              As the say
              To each there own

              Billy

              --- In hammockcamping@ <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@...>
              wrote:

              > when i saw pictures of the ENO dri fly, i had suspicions that
              those "deep" cat cuts would leave a lot of open exposure on the sides
              & ends.
              > a friend confirmed that to be the case in his opinion.
              >
              > for not much more cash you can get a lot better coverage & for
              less weight & bulk w/ something like one of the speer silnylon
              tarps. ...tim

              > Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote:
              > I'll Toss my input in here
              > Take a look at this one
              >
              > http://www.eaglesne
              <http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/dry-fly-rain-tarp.html>
              stoutfittersinc.com/dry-fly-rain-tarp.html

              > its 12 x 9.5 and weighs in at 22oz I have used it in Decent rain and
              > wind and haven't had any trouble staying dry.
              >
              > There my 2 cents
              >
              > Billy

            • Chuck
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
                Thanks much to all of you who replied to my post. Weight of the tarp
                isn't quite as big an issue with me as it would be for backpackers. I
                only use my HH for canoe trips in the Boundary Waters. There are
                portages to do between lakes, but at least I'm not carrying my hammock
                all day. Even given that, though, I think I may look for something
                smaller/lighter given your input. Thanks!
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 15, 2008
                  Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote: It seems that this is a none ENO product friendly crowd.. I have used
                  them for the past 3 years. My best friend his dad and I havent run in
                  to issues that the last 2 ppl have posted about. I guess it's a matter
                  of personal experience.

                  As the say
                  To each there own

                  Billy

                  no, i like the ENO hammocks just fine. it's just that particular tarp that i'm not so crazy about.
                  i'm afraid that if you get caught in a blowing rain, you may run into problems with it too. but i hope not. ...tim

                • Billy Chard
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 15, 2008
                    Thanks for touching base with me about that Tim. I have enjoyed the
                    information that I have gleened from this website,
                    Most ppl here I have noticed use square or diamond shaped tarps? Is that
                    correct? What does that give you? I mean what benefits do you get form
                    that shape that I wont get from the ENO fly

                    Billy

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 15, 2008
                      i like using a rectangle tarp & i've been w/ people using hex shape which is really kinda like a rectangle w/ the corners trimmed down. i like the hex as well.
                      some rectangle & hex shaped tarps have catenary cut edges that help keep the tarp tight & shed the wind better, but i've not seen any others that have as "deep" of catenary cuts as the ENO drifly.

                      some people seem to get by just fine w/ a diamond shape but i stay away from them for the same reason i shy away from the ENO drifly... not enough extra coverage on the sides.

                      in a lot of cases, a person could get by OK w/ less coverage on the sides even w/ blowing rain, but a lot of folks (including myself) end up liking the extra protection.
                      with bigger sides i can still hang the tarp higher on a rainy night (or day) & have a much more "open" feel.

                      also i usually keep a dry area under the hammock were my pack may be laying & were i may heat water for food or hot drink.

                      the very deep cuts on the ENO drifly leave you only the protection of a very narrow tarp.

                      also it's made of a coated material rather than silnylon. that does make it less expensive, but backpackers are often looking for ways to reduce bulk & weight.
                      but that's just my opinion. the ENO drifly is still a nice looking tarp. ...tim

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 17, 2008
                        Dont get me wrong, i really love their hammocks. ive had an 1/8 inch
                        hole in the bottom of my hammock ( check kids pockets before letting
                        them play in them) for about 2 years and i still use it as often as i
                        can. their hammocks are first rate as far as im concerned. im not
                        sure exactly what material they use but its definitely strong and
                        still hasnt ripped out on me yet so kudos to them for their hammocks.

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...>