Re: Welcome back to the Hammock Aaron!

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
      FYI...to push the limit of what my new TrailBaker can do, I actually
      made 2 medium sized baked potatoes a few days ago. They were as nice
      as I'd get out of my oven at home. I used up less than 2oz of fuel
      doing it, keeping the Turbo II stove going on low for over an hour.
      So, watch what you say about failure with alcohol stoves. It all
      depends on what you're using. I think I got your point, however...
      Aaron

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
      wrote:

      > With your beautiful stoves, it is the system which is much more
      > important than the individual components. (Cooking baked potatoes
      > over an alcohol stove is setting oneself up for failure.)
    • robi dawson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
        Aaron,

        cool!

        i have decided to make my own stove for the trip mentioned in my last post. any ideas?
        the one you talk about, is it commercial or self made?

        point me in the right direction for making my own ...

        thanks

        robi

        wrote:

        > With your beautiful stoves, it is the system which is much more
        > important than the individual components.  (Cooking baked potatoes
        > over an alcohol stove is setting oneself up for failure.)

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        e23ad9.jpg
        e23c10.jpg

      • tcoug7
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
          > The Hammock Gods all reside here.

          ...so you did like the name, huh? ;)

          Tim
        • Risk
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
            Aaron wrote:

            FYI...to push the limit of what my new TrailBaker can do, I actually
            made 2 medium sized baked potatoes a few days ago.

            Hey Aaron,

            That's great! I sat with my fingers on the keyboard trying to come
            up with something which was as out of sync with alcohol stove cooking
            as I could...(just as an example of system inter--relatedness and to
            make it personal) And you met the challenge. Wow! I am seriously
            impressed.

            Just for the record, I did not list:
            - Steak (I was not sure you had not gotten that figured out)
            - Beef Stroganof (freeze dried stuff out there)
            - Dry navy beans (soaking the night before makes this possible)

            Maybe I should have listed 18" pizza or deep fried whole turkey. Nah,
            you probably have those mostly figured out too. :)

            Rick
          • Aaron
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
              LOL!!! I'm a vegetarian. The only way I'd ever have a deep fried
              whole Turkey is if he took a lot of drugs and was "fried"
              metaphorically. Steak...the only kind I use is for holding down a
              tarp. As for the 18" pizza, you got that right...not possible. How
              about a 5" deep dish instead? That's do-able!

              wrote:
              > Aaron wrote:
              >
              > FYI...to push the limit of what my new TrailBaker can do, I
              actually
              > made 2 medium sized baked potatoes a few days ago.
              >
              > Hey Aaron,
              >
              > That's great! I sat with my fingers on the keyboard trying to
              come
              > up with something which was as out of sync with alcohol stove
              cooking
              > as I could...(just as an example of system inter--relatedness and
              > make it personal) And you met the challenge. Wow! I am
              seriously
              > impressed.
              >
              > Just for the record, I did not list:
              > - Steak (I was not sure you had not gotten that figured out)
              > - Beef Stroganof (freeze dried stuff out there)
              > - Dry navy beans (soaking the night before makes this possible)
              >
              > Maybe I should have listed 18" pizza or deep fried whole turkey.
              Nah,
              > you probably have those mostly figured out too. :)
              >
              > Rick
            • Toad Hopper
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                --- robi dawson <beanco@...> wrote:
                > Aaron,
                >
                > cool!
                >
                > i have decided to make my own stove for the trip mentioned in my last
                > post.
                > any ideas?
                > the one you talk about, is it commercial or self made?

                see: http://wings.interfree.it/html/main.html

                Peace, toad

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • Risk
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                  Ah Ha! Some vegi problem recipees:

                  Perhaps mashed potatoes (real ones) would give you trouble.
                  Corn on the cob would be too easy. (thought stream in process)
                  Pumpkin pie? Even in an oven that might be hard (if you start with a
                  pumpkin)

                  I really should face what I already know: it is possible to cook
                  almost anything over an alcohol stove... I feel like I am betraying
                  myself trying to come up with counter examples.

                  The only thing I really would like to be able to cook over some
                  reasonable amount of alcohol, but can't, is fresh fish fillets fried
                  to a golden brown. Doing a couple is no big deal, but continuous
                  frying of a dozen or more fish for a total of 45 minutes to an hour
                  takes up a lot of fuel... but then as a vegetarian you'd just refer
                  me to first principles.

                  I really must invest in one of your beauties. I do like my little
                  $.75 cat stove much better than the $.00 pepsi stoves I built, but
                  your stoves just look so pretty. To be able to simmer is a real
                  plus. I'll beat myself with a wet noodle for not taking advantage of
                  your past blow-out sales. I'll keep a watchful eye out for them in
                  the future.

                  Rick

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <aaron@b...> wrote:
                  > LOL!!! I'm a vegetarian. The only way I'd ever have a deep fried
                  > whole Turkey is if he took a lot of drugs and was "fried"
                  > metaphorically. Steak...the only kind I use is for holding down a
                  > tarp. As for the 18" pizza, you got that right...not possible. How
                  > about a 5" deep dish instead? That's do-able!
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Aaron wrote:
                  > >
                  > > FYI...to push the limit of what my new TrailBaker can do, I
                  > actually
                  > > made 2 medium sized baked potatoes a few days ago.
                  > >
                  > > Hey Aaron,
                  > >
                  > > That's great! I sat with my fingers on the keyboard trying to
                  > come
                  > > up with something which was as out of sync with alcohol stove
                  > cooking
                  > > as I could...(just as an example of system inter--relatedness and
                  > > make it personal) And you met the challenge. Wow! I am
                  > seriously
                  > > impressed.
                  > >
                  > > Just for the record, I did not list:
                  > > - Steak (I was not sure you had not gotten that figured out)
                  > > - Beef Stroganof (freeze dried stuff out there)
                  > > - Dry navy beans (soaking the night before makes this possible)
                  > >
                  > > Maybe I should have listed 18" pizza or deep fried whole turkey.
                  > Nah,
                  > > you probably have those mostly figured out too. :)
                  > >
                  > > Rick
                • Aaron
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                    The Turbo stove prices will be coming down whenever I get my shipment
                    from asia and get that consistently up and running. Can't hold myself
                    to it, but most likely down about $15-20 from the current prices. I
                    don't expect there will be any future "blowout" sales. I did that to
                    rid myself of the Micro/Duo stoves. I had 160 of them and they
                    disappeared in 3 weeks! I was(am)shocked. But I barely made a profit
                    and I can't offer them for those prices long term. Also, they just
                    don't work as well as the Turbos. Progress marches on. Ya gotta' keep
                    up. If you like, send me an email and I'll let you know when the
                    Turbo prices drop.
                    wrote:
                    > Ah Ha! Some vegi problem recipees:
                    >
                    > Perhaps mashed potatoes (real ones) would give you trouble.
                    > Corn on the cob would be too easy. (thought stream in process)
                    > Pumpkin pie? Even in an oven that might be hard (if you start with
                    > pumpkin)
                    >
                    > I really should face what I already know: it is possible to cook
                    > almost anything over an alcohol stove... I feel like I am
                    betraying
                    > myself trying to come up with counter examples.
                    >
                    > The only thing I really would like to be able to cook over some
                    > reasonable amount of alcohol, but can't, is fresh fish fillets
                    fried
                    > to a golden brown. Doing a couple is no big deal, but continuous
                    > frying of a dozen or more fish for a total of 45 minutes to an hour
                    > takes up a lot of fuel... but then as a vegetarian you'd just refer
                    > me to first principles.
                    >
                    > I really must invest in one of your beauties. I do like my little
                    > $.75 cat stove much better than the $.00 pepsi stoves I built, but
                    > your stoves just look so pretty. To be able to simmer is a real
                    > plus. I'll beat myself with a wet noodle for not taking advantage
                    of
                    > your past blow-out sales. I'll keep a watchful eye out for them in
                    > the future.
                    >
                    > Rick
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <aaron@b...> wrote:
                    > > LOL!!! I'm a vegetarian. The only way I'd ever have a deep fried
                    > > whole Turkey is if he took a lot of drugs and was "fried"
                    > > metaphorically. Steak...the only kind I use is for holding down a
                    > > tarp. As for the 18" pizza, you got that right...not possible.
                    How
                    > > about a 5" deep dish instead? That's do-able!
                    > >
                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > Aaron wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > FYI...to push the limit of what my new TrailBaker can do, I
                    > > actually
                    > > > made 2 medium sized baked potatoes a few days ago.
                    > > >
                    > > > Hey Aaron,
                    > > >
                    > > > That's great! I sat with my fingers on the keyboard trying to
                    > > come
                    > > > up with something which was as out of sync with alcohol stove
                    > > cooking
                    > > > as I could...(just as an example of system inter--relatedness
                    and
                    > > > make it personal) And you met the challenge. Wow! I am
                    > > seriously
                    > > > impressed.
                    > > >
                    > > > Just for the record, I did not list:
                    > > > - Steak (I was not sure you had not gotten that figured out)
                    > > > - Beef Stroganof (freeze dried stuff out there)
                    > > > - Dry navy beans (soaking the night before makes this possible)
                    > > >
                    > > > Maybe I should have listed 18" pizza or deep fried whole
                    turkey.
                    > > Nah,
                    > > > you probably have those mostly figured out too. :)
                    > > >
                    > > > Rick
                  • Shane
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
                      > To visualize this, see the last
                      > picture here:
                      >
                      > http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/improvedknot.htm

                      Hey... I like that... I'll have to play with that when I get home...

                      Shane