what do you think of this rainfly

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 12, 2008
      I'd like to replace the rainfly on my Hennessy Hammock with something
      bigger. This looks like it might work. Anyone tried something like
      this?

      http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=254694
    • Greg Dunlap
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 12, 2008
        I've had one on order since December, they say they are not coming in
        until March sometime.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck" <chasg111y@...> wrote:

        > I'd like to replace the rainfly on my Hennessy Hammock with
        something
        > bigger. This looks like it might work. Anyone tried something like
        > this?
        >
        > http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=254694

      • C C Wayah
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 12, 2008
          The website does not state the weight.
          I'd ask this before buying.
          Seams a bit over kill.
          Rogene
        • Sam De Fries
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 12, 2008
            Looks like it would be great for lots of rain or snow,
            but be sure to find out the weight, unless you just
            car-camp, then you would be fine.

            -Sam
            --- Chuck <chasg111y@...> wrote:

            > I'd like to replace the rainfly on my Hennessy
            > Hammock with something
            > bigger. This looks like it might work. Anyone
            > tried something like
            > this?

            http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=254694

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • Richard Perlman
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 13, 2008
              12 X 12 is huge and probably heavy. I know people have used the
              Sportsman's 9 x 9 tarp on
              the diagonal.

              I've switched to an 8 x 10 silnylon fly for my Hennessey. I like the
              additional
              coverage at the ends, where I hang my pack, shoes, etc. on a clothes
              line under the
              ridge of the fly.

              Rich

              Chuck wrote:
              > I'd like to replace the rainfly on my Hennessy Hammock with something
              > bigger. This looks like it might work. Anyone tried something like
              > this?
              >
              > http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=254694

            • Bill Keiser
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 13, 2008
                i just happen to have one over my hot tub. i just pulled it down and
                weighed it. 2 lb 4 oz slightly damp.
                i've used this one and the bigger kelty 16 for car camping. it makes
                a nice canopy to cover a community campsite. we set it up and put 3 or
                4 tents with their doors just under the edge and have a nice cozy
                living room.
                i guess it could be modified and trimmed down, but you'd be better
                off making one from scratch.
                kelty also makes a 9 x 9 one for about $50.
                <http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?AFC-googlebase&productId=12155&engine=googlebase&keyword=22048>
                (somewhere in between 1 lb 6oz and 1lb 13 oz)
                but for ultralight hammock use, one that is shaped more rectangularly
                or hex would be best but probably costs more.
                bs

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 13, 2008
                  i don't see a 9 x 9 at SG. is it possibly discontinued?
                  bs

                  > 12 X 12 is huge and probably heavy. I know people have used the
                  > Sportsman's 9 x 9 tarp on
                  > the diagonal.
                  >

                  > Rich

                • Nate
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 13, 2008
                    I have the 9x9 version. I have had it now for 3 years and it works
                    great with my Hammock Bliss hammock. I set it up in a diamond shape.
                    The 12x12 should be plenty for you. My 9x9 weighs just over a pound
                    and has been VERY durable and hasnt leaked yet. (knock on wood) I
                    think the 12x12 is close to the 2 lb range. I think they are worth it!

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck" <chasg111y@...> wrote:

                    > I'd like to replace the rainfly on my Hennessy Hammock with something
                    > bigger. This looks like it might work. Anyone tried something like
                    > this?
                    >
                    > http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=254694

                  • pure mahem
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 13, 2008
                      yes they stopped carrying the famous Camo Guide Gear or Neo Tarps there. Seems like it coincided with the new year. Pitty they were a good deal for the money. The one he originally posted with his question though appears to be the same design and material just a different plain solid color. I like Ed's Design of the Winter Tarp. It gives you a lot of pitch options and the ability to close up shop if real big boomers come in and it's just over a pound, pretty good trade offs in coverage terms compared to weight I think. But that's just my opinion.

                      i don't see a 9 x 9 at SG. is it possibly discontinued?
                      bs

                      > 12 X 12 is huge and probably heavy. I know people have used the
                      > Sportsman's 9 x 9 tarp on
                      > the diagonal.
                      >

                      > Rich

                    • Billy Chard
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 13, 2008
                        I'll Toss my input in here
                        Take a look at this one

                        http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/dry-fly-rain-tarp.html

                        its 12 x 9.5 and weighs in at 22oz I have used it in Decent rain and
                        wind and haven't had any trouble staying dry.

                        There my 2 cents

                        Billy

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 13, 2008
                          when i saw pictures of the ENO dri fly, i had suspicions that those "deep" cat cuts would leave a lot of open exposure on the sides & ends.
                          a friend confirmed that to be the case in his opinion.

                          for not much more cash you can get a lot better coverage & for less weight & bulk w/ something like one of the speer silnylon tarps. ...tim

                          Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote:
                          I'll Toss my input in here
                          Take a look at this one

                          http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/dry-fly-rain-tarp.html

                          its 12 x 9.5 and weighs in at 22oz I have used it in Decent rain and
                          wind and haven't had any trouble staying dry.

                          There my 2 cents

                          Billy
                          i just happen to have one over my hot tub. i just pulled it down and
                          weighed it. 2 lb 4 oz slightly damp.
                          i've used this one and the bigger kelty 16 for car camping. it makes
                          a nice canopy to cover a community campsite. we set it up and put 3 or
                          4 tents with their doors just under the edge and have a nice cozy
                          living room.
                          i guess it could be modified and trimmed down, but you'd be better
                          off making one from scratch.
                          kelty also makes a 9 x 9 one for about $50.
                          glebase&productId=12155&engine=googlebase&keyword=22048>
                          com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?AFC-googlebase&productId=12
                          155&engine=googlebase&keyword=22048>
                          (somewhere in between 1 lb 6oz and 1lb 13 oz)
                          but for ultralight hammock use, one that is shaped more rectangularly
                          or hex would be best but probably costs more.
                          bs

                          > I'd like to replace the rainfly on my Hennessy Hammock with something
                          > bigger. This looks like it might work. Anyone tried something like
                          > this?
                          >
                          > http://www.sportsma

                          nsguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=254694

                        • CHRIS NIMON
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
                            I bought one of these eagles nest flys about 5 years ago. i
                            definitely would not reccomend them. i get wet in even the lightest
                            of rains. and i find the extra stakes required for pitching bulky for
                            a tarp catered to
                            backpackers

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
                                It seems that this is a none ENO product friendly crowd.. I have used
                                them for the past 3 years. My best friend his dad and I havent run in
                                to issues that the last 2 ppl have posted about. I guess it's a matter
                                of personal experience.

                                As the say
                                To each there own

                                Billy

                                --- In hammockcamping@ <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
                                yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@...>

                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 14, 2008
                                  Thanks much to all of you who replied to my post. Weight of the tarp
                                  isn't quite as big an issue with me as it would be for backpackers. I
                                  only use my HH for canoe trips in the Boundary Waters. There are
                                  portages to do between lakes, but at least I'm not carrying my hammock
                                  all day. Even given that, though, I think I may look for something
                                  smaller/lighter given your input. Thanks!
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 15, 2008
                                    Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote: It seems that this is a none ENO product friendly crowd.. I have used
                                    them for the past 3 years. My best friend his dad and I havent run in
                                    to issues that the last 2 ppl have posted about. I guess it's a matter
                                    of personal experience.

                                    As the say
                                    To each there own

                                    Billy

                                    no, i like the ENO hammocks just fine. it's just that particular tarp that i'm not so crazy about.
                                    i'm afraid that if you get caught in a blowing rain, you may run into problems with it too. but i hope not. ...tim

                                  • Billy Chard
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 15, 2008
                                      Thanks for touching base with me about that Tim. I have enjoyed the
                                      information that I have gleened from this website,
                                      Most ppl here I have noticed use square or diamond shaped tarps? Is that
                                      correct? What does that give you? I mean what benefits do you get form
                                      that shape that I wont get from the ENO fly

                                      Billy

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 15, 2008
                                        i like using a rectangle tarp & i've been w/ people using hex shape which is really kinda like a rectangle w/ the corners trimmed down. i like the hex as well.
                                        some rectangle & hex shaped tarps have catenary cut edges that help keep the tarp tight & shed the wind better, but i've not seen any others that have as "deep" of catenary cuts as the ENO drifly.

                                        some people seem to get by just fine w/ a diamond shape but i stay away from them for the same reason i shy away from the ENO drifly... not enough extra coverage on the sides.

                                        in a lot of cases, a person could get by OK w/ less coverage on the sides even w/ blowing rain, but a lot of folks (including myself) end up liking the extra protection.
                                        with bigger sides i can still hang the tarp higher on a rainy night (or day) & have a much more "open" feel.

                                        also i usually keep a dry area under the hammock were my pack may be laying & were i may heat water for food or hot drink.

                                        the very deep cuts on the ENO drifly leave you only the protection of a very narrow tarp.

                                        also it's made of a coated material rather than silnylon. that does make it less expensive, but backpackers are often looking for ways to reduce bulk & weight.
                                        but that's just my opinion. the ENO drifly is still a nice looking tarp. ...tim

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 17, 2008
                                          Dont get me wrong, i really love their hammocks. ive had an 1/8 inch
                                          hole in the bottom of my hammock ( check kids pockets before letting
                                          them play in them) for about 2 years and i still use it as often as i
                                          can. their hammocks are first rate as far as im concerned. im not
                                          sure exactly what material they use but its definitely strong and
                                          still hasnt ripped out on me yet so kudos to them for their hammocks.

                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...>