Re: [Hammock Camping] Which hammock and bag for cold and warm weather?

  • Jeff Palmer
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 10, 2008
      Dave,

      I found that when I taught High School students the way you calculate
      the temp was a little more difficult for my students. The formula
      varies depending on whether you are converting from C to F or vise
      versa. My students would forget when to add or subtract 32. With the
      equation I use, they only have to remember to multiply by 9/5 when
      going to F and 5/9 when going to C. I learned this formula when I was
      taking HS Chemistry and found it helped me as well. Of course, I've
      met other teachers in my career who told me the only way to to this
      is the original formula, so perhaps I rebelled against conformity,
      such as using a hammock rather than camping on the ground!

      Jeff

      On Feb 10, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Dave Womble wrote:

      > Jeff,
      >
      > I got a chuckle out of your equation. At first glance I said "What
      > the heck is that" and then I went through a few examples and it gives
      > the right answers. Then I reduced your equation and got the old
      > familiar standby that I am use to seeing, F = (9/5 * C) + 32. That
      > form is easily derived from the freezing point and boiling point of
      > water, 32F, 0C and 212F, 100C, respectively, and is the natural way to
      > express it. My curiosity has the best of me... why was that equation
      > rearranged to come up with a more complex form, F = (9/5 * (C + 40)) -
      > 40, isn't that doing it the hard way?
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Palmer <japalmer@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Not quite correct. To convert from F to C you need to:
      > >
      > > add 40 to the temperature
      > > multiply that number by 9
      > > divide the result by 5
      > > finally, subtract 40 from the result.
      > >
      > > example:
      > >
      > > 20 degrees C
      > >
      > > 20 + 40 = 60
      > > 60 X 9 = 540
      > > 540/5 = 108
      > > 108 - 40 = 68
      > >
      > > to convert from F to C, do the same steps, except multiply by 5 and
      > > divide by 9
      > >
      > > 68 + 40 = 108
      > > 108 * 5 = 540
      > > 540/9 = 60
      > > 60 - 40 = 20
      > >
      > > Memorize the following and you can usually guess the approximate
      > > temperature.
      > >
      > > -40 degrees C = -40 degrees F
      > > 0 degrees C is freezing - 32 F
      > > 10 degrees C = 50 F
      > > 20 degrees C = 68 F
      > > 37 degrees C = body temp 98.6 f
      > > 100 degrees C = boiling 212 F
      > >
      > > Jeff
      > >
      > > PS I was a science teacher until I retired.

    • Arye P. R.
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 13, 2008
        Since the weather usually comes here from the west/ south & north 'Lake Effect' snow doesn't happen here as much as it does to Northern Indiana, Michigan State and points East of Lake Michigan. This is because there aren't major bodies of water to the west to feed the snow. The most apparent and often 'Lake Effect' is during the summer as it is 'cooler by the lake' (up to 1mi inland) and in the winter it is warmer by the lake (~5-10 degrees).

        still no overnight camping on the lakefront or in anywhere I know of in the metro area (25-35 mile radius from downtown) though. But there are lots of out of the way forested areas where you cant be seen.

        weight 100grams (g) = ~3.5 ounces 1/2 an ounce short of a 1/4 pound (a nice sandwich)
        Liquid 1 cup / 8oz = about 1/4 liter (L) 250milliliter (ml) actual
        distance 1Km = .6 mi This also applies to MPH vs. KPH
        10Km = 6 mi
        100Km = 60 mi

        Sapere Aude,
        Arye P. Rubenstein