Re: [Hammock Camping] Which hammock and bag for cold and warm weather?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 10, 2008
      If you're doing it in your head, isn't it easier to add and subtract 40
      than 32?

      CL
      Another science teacher, but I don't try to do sums in my head.
      Possibly something to do with a 'new-math' upbringing and frequent
      changes of schools. I also never had to memorize the times table. Give
      me a pencil and paper--better yet, my solar calculator.

      Dave Womble wrote:
      > My curiosity has the best of me... why was that equation
      > rearranged to come up with a more complex form, F = (9/5 * (C + 40)) -
      > 40, isn't that doing it the hard way?
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Palmer <japalmer@...> wrote:
      >> Not quite correct. To convert from F to C you need to:
      >>
      >> add 40 to the temperature
      >> multiply that number by 9
      >> divide the result by 5
      >> finally, subtract 40 from the result.
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 13, 2008
        Since the weather usually comes here from the west/ south & north 'Lake Effect' snow doesn't happen here as much as it does to Northern Indiana, Michigan State and points East of Lake Michigan. This is because there aren't major bodies of water to the west to feed the snow. The most apparent and often 'Lake Effect' is during the summer as it is 'cooler by the lake' (up to 1mi inland) and in the winter it is warmer by the lake (~5-10 degrees).

        still no overnight camping on the lakefront or in anywhere I know of in the metro area (25-35 mile radius from downtown) though. But there are lots of out of the way forested areas where you cant be seen.

        weight 100grams (g) = ~3.5 ounces 1/2 an ounce short of a 1/4 pound (a nice sandwich)
        Liquid 1 cup / 8oz = about 1/4 liter (L) 250milliliter (ml) actual
        distance 1Km = .6 mi This also applies to MPH vs. KPH
        10Km = 6 mi
        100Km = 60 mi

        Sapere Aude,
        Arye P. Rubenstein