Re: [Hammock Camping] any knee comfort tips for Speer 8.5?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2008
      Hi Bill,

      I'd say more sag and longer hammock. I'm short (5'3"), so normal
      hammocks about 9' long and 4'6" wide work great for me. A longer and
      wider hammock may help you. It is possible to have too much sag--as I
      found after I cut my ridgeline on my HH backpacker asym.

      I usually solve knee (and heel) problems two ways: diagonal and recliner.

      Diagonal: The usual way is lots of diagonal. If I get myself in my
      hammock at the right diagonal, there ends up being a bend in the hammock
      right where my knees go. I tend to have my head a good foot lower than
      my feet, but my butt is almost centered in the hammock.

      Recliner: I sit in the hammock in the usual place with my head and back
      on the center line. Then, I have one leg going off each side of the leg
      diagonal. If placed right, the hammock makes a wrinkle right under my
      knees that supports a slight bend.

      In both cases, after I lay down in the hammock, I may scoot myself
      closer to the leg half. Even with these methods, though, I can still
      get some stress on my knees. The other part of the solution is to work
      on consciously and sub-consciously maintaining just the slightest bend
      in the knee. The diagonal and the recliner methods help. Frog-legs
      work great, too. You're right, though, in that they make it harder to
      keep warm.

      Another way of sleeping in the hammock is in a ball on the side. Curl
      up into a loose ball, on the diagonal, with your back to the head end
      and your knees bent on the center line. I find that when sleeping on my
      side in a hammock, I don't have the shoulder and arm squeeze problem of
      sleeping on my side in a bed. This is probably the warmest method and
      the way I find myself on cold mornings.

      I've tried all these ways of sleeping in a hammock in both my HH and in
      my 'traveler' top-loading hammock (US$20-25 from Campmor.com). I like
      the traveler and the HH for their floppy sides.

      CL

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2008
        as far as what i use as a "leg" pillow (under my knees when i'm on my back & between my knees when on my side), lately i've been using one of the "air pillows" from speer hammocks.
        i don't always have a lot of clothing left unused, so i inflate the pillow (but not fully) & put it in my clothes bag. it weighs very little.

        i keep the straw that inflates & deflates the pillow in a "stake bag" w/ other short, strait things, such as tarp stakes, long handled ti spoon.
        the stake bag hangs from the side of my hammock in camp by a mittin hook so those things are always easy to find.

        billybob38801 <billybob38801@...> wrote:
        Just wondering what are the most common means of maximizing knee
        comfort? I am 6'1" and use a Speer 8.5. If there is one thing that
        keeps me from having total comfort when on my back, it is slight knee
        discomfort. I have been using a sleep pad rolled up and in a stuff
        sack, under my knees. This has worked OK in the past with a different
        hammock, but it just doesn't seem quite right with my Speer.

        More sag or less sag? Diagonal or mid-line lay? What about laying with
        my head pretty close to one end of the hammock? Maybe this would keep
        my feet further from the part of the hammock end curve and the heel
        elevation this causes? But at the cost of more shoulder squeeze
        possibly. Or maybe I just need a longer hammock?

        A sort of frog leg position certainly solves the problem, but this
        doesn't work so well with the PeaPod.

        Or, what are y'alls favorite items to use under your knees for those
        who use that approach? Any tips on maximizing knee comfort in a Speer
        hammock will be appreciated.

        Thanks
        Bill

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2008
          When on my side, I find that crossing my ankles helps to eliminate the
          side of the knee pain I sometimes used to have.

          Risk