any knee comfort tips for Speer 8.5?

  • billybob38801
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2008
      Just wondering what are the most common means of maximizing knee
      comfort? I am 6'1" and use a Speer 8.5. If there is one thing that
      keeps me from having total comfort when on my back, it is slight knee
      discomfort. I have been using a sleep pad rolled up and in a stuff
      sack, under my knees. This has worked OK in the past with a different
      hammock, but it just doesn't seem quite right with my Speer.

      More sag or less sag? Diagonal or mid-line lay? What about laying with
      my head pretty close to one end of the hammock? Maybe this would keep
      my feet further from the part of the hammock end curve and the heel
      elevation this causes? But at the cost of more shoulder squeeze
      possibly. Or maybe I just need a longer hammock?

      A sort of frog leg position certainly solves the problem, but this
      doesn't work so well with the PeaPod.

      Or, what are y'alls favorite items to use under your knees for those
      who use that approach? Any tips on maximizing knee comfort in a Speer
      hammock will be appreciated.

      Thanks
      Bill
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2008
        Hi Bill,

        I'd say more sag and longer hammock. I'm short (5'3"), so normal
        hammocks about 9' long and 4'6" wide work great for me. A longer and
        wider hammock may help you. It is possible to have too much sag--as I
        found after I cut my ridgeline on my HH backpacker asym.

        I usually solve knee (and heel) problems two ways: diagonal and recliner.

        Diagonal: The usual way is lots of diagonal. If I get myself in my
        hammock at the right diagonal, there ends up being a bend in the hammock
        right where my knees go. I tend to have my head a good foot lower than
        my feet, but my butt is almost centered in the hammock.

        Recliner: I sit in the hammock in the usual place with my head and back
        on the center line. Then, I have one leg going off each side of the leg
        diagonal. If placed right, the hammock makes a wrinkle right under my
        knees that supports a slight bend.

        In both cases, after I lay down in the hammock, I may scoot myself
        closer to the leg half. Even with these methods, though, I can still
        get some stress on my knees. The other part of the solution is to work
        on consciously and sub-consciously maintaining just the slightest bend
        in the knee. The diagonal and the recliner methods help. Frog-legs
        work great, too. You're right, though, in that they make it harder to
        keep warm.

        Another way of sleeping in the hammock is in a ball on the side. Curl
        up into a loose ball, on the diagonal, with your back to the head end
        and your knees bent on the center line. I find that when sleeping on my
        side in a hammock, I don't have the shoulder and arm squeeze problem of
        sleeping on my side in a bed. This is probably the warmest method and
        the way I find myself on cold mornings.

        I've tried all these ways of sleeping in a hammock in both my HH and in
        my 'traveler' top-loading hammock (US$20-25 from Campmor.com). I like
        the traveler and the HH for their floppy sides.

        CL

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2008
          as far as what i use as a "leg" pillow (under my knees when i'm on my back & between my knees when on my side), lately i've been using one of the "air pillows" from speer hammocks.
          i don't always have a lot of clothing left unused, so i inflate the pillow (but not fully) & put it in my clothes bag. it weighs very little.

          i keep the straw that inflates & deflates the pillow in a "stake bag" w/ other short, strait things, such as tarp stakes, long handled ti spoon.
          the stake bag hangs from the side of my hammock in camp by a mittin hook so those things are always easy to find.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2008
            When on my side, I find that crossing my ankles helps to eliminate the
            side of the knee pain I sometimes used to have.

            Risk