Re: [Hammock Camping] Which hammock and bag for cold and warm weather?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 9, 2008
      Sorry, I usually try to do that... I find I cannot convert and the
      values in one system have no meaning compared to the same values in
      another system: i.e. I 'know' that 12*C means it's time for me to wear a
      hat and that 90*F is HOT, but I cannot convert them and the 52*F and
      32*C do not have any meaning to me. This is probably because I use
      Celsius when in Taiwan at elevations >2000 m (>6300 feet) and I use
      Fahrenheit when in the Kentucky in the summer. I carry around a little
      slide-rule for metric-English conversions: it's called, of all things, a
      Universal ENGLISH/SI (metric) Datalizer, printed in USA in 1976.

      0*C is about 32*F.
      > For one recent on-the-ground camping trip, I found the 3/4 length
      thermarest and the No-Sniveler kept me warm enough at temperatures
      near 0*C. I had considered carrying both quilts for I'm very sensitive
      to cold, but was delighted to find that just one kept me toasty.

      -15*C is about 5*F
      > One thing I have learned about humidity, though, is that when it is
      really humid (>80%), you need a bag rated for much cooler than the
      lowest temperature you will really experience. I live and hike in
      Taiwan and rarely experience temperatures cooler than 0*C, but I carry
      a bag rated for -15*C.

      I sort of made up the bag ratings, since I've not seen them published on
      bags sold here in Taiwan. What I do know is that I buy the 'warmest
      down bag' available (many, if not most, down bags are made here in
      Taiwan) and I'm still cold when temperatures get to 0*C is about 32*F.
      I attribute this to the humidity and the fact I tend to start out
      sleeping cold.

      Anyway, the fact the No-Sniveler worked so well as a quilt on one trip
      impressed me. I think the thinness of the rip-stop nylon used to make
      the quilt greatly improves it's ability to 'breathe,' reducing the
      amount of water vapor retained from one night to the next.

      CL

      C C Wayah wrote:
      > Can you change the Celsius degrees of your Hennessey to Farenheight for us
      > non metric types.
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 13, 2008
        Since the weather usually comes here from the west/ south & north 'Lake Effect' snow doesn't happen here as much as it does to Northern Indiana, Michigan State and points East of Lake Michigan. This is because there aren't major bodies of water to the west to feed the snow. The most apparent and often 'Lake Effect' is during the summer as it is 'cooler by the lake' (up to 1mi inland) and in the winter it is warmer by the lake (~5-10 degrees).

        still no overnight camping on the lakefront or in anywhere I know of in the metro area (25-35 mile radius from downtown) though. But there are lots of out of the way forested areas where you cant be seen.

        weight 100grams (g) = ~3.5 ounces 1/2 an ounce short of a 1/4 pound (a nice sandwich)
        Liquid 1 cup / 8oz = about 1/4 liter (L) 250milliliter (ml) actual
        distance 1Km = .6 mi This also applies to MPH vs. KPH
        10Km = 6 mi
        100Km = 60 mi

        Sapere Aude,
        Arye P. Rubenstein