Re: [Hammock Camping] Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?

  • hiker63876
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9 7:20 AM
      Hello Adam
      A few years ago there was a backpack security net on the market. It
      was a wire mesh net that was designed to wrap around internal frame
      backpacks and then be locked to prevent you pack from being tampered
      with while gong through airport baggage handling or if you wanted to
      drop your big pack for a quick side trip with a light day pack. I
      havn't seen on advertised lately, but somone else might have may know
      about it and can give you some advice on where to find it.
      If nothing else, try tying a short piece of black Spectra cord to
      your pack and the other end to the top of your hammock attachment set
      up. If they try to grab your pack an run the jerk will wake you up,
      and if they have enough speed and the cord is just long enoughn the
      stopping of the your pack in their posession should jerk them back
      and flat on their back.
      Then there is always "hanging" in a group, or Stealth Hanging.

      Hope I could help
      Mike Steward

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
      <caralinb@...> wrote:

      > Hi Adam,
      >
      > I have a Hennessey Backpacker utralight a-sym--slightly smaller
      than the
      > Explorer. I'm 5'3", but about your weight. I've learned that I
      really
      > don't like to have anything else in the hammock with me.
      Sometimes,
      > even the quilt is a hassle (which is why I almost immediately went
      for
      > an underquilt). Things hooked on the ridgeline tend to slide down
      and
      > bonk me on the head (and yes, I do know about and use the loops on
      the
      > ends of the ridge lines).
      >
      > I also had one case where I had something hooked to my ridgeline
      with
      > webbing. This created enough of an opening in the velcro to let in
      > large cricket. Let me tell you, I really do not have enough room
      inside
      > my hammock for a cricket!
      >
      > As for knowing when something touches your hammock? You will
      definitely
      > feel the slightest thing: acorns falling, birds landing and taking
      off,
      > people tripping over your fly lines.
      >
      > CL
      >
      > Adam Woznicki wrote:
      > > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
      > >
      > > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
      > > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
      > > sleeping.
      > >
      > > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
      > > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
      > > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
      > > could just sew a loop at the end.
      > >
      > > The main question is the hammock big enough to
      > > accommodate a bag and me?
      > >
      > > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
      > > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
      > >
      > > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
      > >
      > > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
      > > Clark-North American
      > > Clark-Tropical
      > >

      > > Thanks---Adam

      > --
      >
      > Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
      > Cara Lin Bridgman
      >
      > P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
      > Longjing Sinjhuang
      > Taichung County 434
      > Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9 8:49 PM
        It's called a PacSafe, among other names. It's still available here:
        <http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=541>
        and here
        <http://www.casanovasadventures.com/catalog/travelgear/p920.htm> and
        probably lots of other places.

        I do not have one. In some places, a locked pack is the one that gets
        examined (i.e. if there's nothing valuable inside, then why is it
        locked?). In other places, the only packs left untouched are the locked
        ones.

        For traveling through Europe, this site
        <http://www.hostelz.com/packing/what-to-pack.php> recommended locks that
        fit through the pack's zipper tabs.