Re: Which hammock and bag for cold and warm weather?

  • gilmem2
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 8, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
      wrote:

      > One sleeping bag which is also a hammock is the Panda.
      > It is supposed to be good down to +8 degrees but I
      > would not trust that figure w/o carrying a pad to go
      > in the sleeve between the sleeping bag and the
      > hammock. If they had thought to put the bottom
      > insulation below the hammock instead of at the bottom
      > of the sleeping bag.......

      Good old Wally world (Walmart) Has a nice set of top center zip bags
      with side zip vents. 90" x 39" Spacious enough for bigger restless
      sleepers like me. They have at least three versions - 0 deg, 20 deg,
      and 30 deg. Some have a cheap "memory foam" bottom, instead of the
      hollow fill style polyester which is in the top. They are pretty
      cheap - $15 to $35.00. They work well in hammocks. The keep me
      warm to about 5-10 degrees above their rating, depending on wind. No
      good for backpacking unless you consider yourself a pack mule, but
      great cheap bags for car or base camping. The side vent zips have
      mesh to limit expansion to about 6 inches, so there are no tangles
      when they are open.
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 13, 2008
        Since the weather usually comes here from the west/ south & north 'Lake Effect' snow doesn't happen here as much as it does to Northern Indiana, Michigan State and points East of Lake Michigan. This is because there aren't major bodies of water to the west to feed the snow. The most apparent and often 'Lake Effect' is during the summer as it is 'cooler by the lake' (up to 1mi inland) and in the winter it is warmer by the lake (~5-10 degrees).

        still no overnight camping on the lakefront or in anywhere I know of in the metro area (25-35 mile radius from downtown) though. But there are lots of out of the way forested areas where you cant be seen.

        weight 100grams (g) = ~3.5 ounces 1/2 an ounce short of a 1/4 pound (a nice sandwich)
        Liquid 1 cup / 8oz = about 1/4 liter (L) 250milliliter (ml) actual
        distance 1Km = .6 mi This also applies to MPH vs. KPH
        10Km = 6 mi
        100Km = 60 mi

        Sapere Aude,
        Arye P. Rubenstein