Re: Which hammock and bag for cold and warm weather?

  • billybob38801
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 8, 2008
      Hi Adam,
      Those PeaPods are really great, and probably one of the most efficient
      means available for staying warm in a hammock. It shouldn't be any
      more restrictive than being in a sleeping bag, which it sounds like is
      your plan anyway.

      I am also a big fan of my HH UL Explorer and SuperShelter, but
      warning: people seem to either like these or HATE them! I like mine
      very much, but overall I like my PeaPod better, especially if it's
      below 25*. At 40* or above and rainy or buggy, I probably prefer my
      SuperShelter. But all of these items have a learning curve. Good luck.
      Bill

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "blueduck600" <blueduck600@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi everyone,............
      > At this point the coldest I think I'll ever camp in is 15F (night temp).
      >
      > How much warmer does the hammock keep you? Does the cold bottom negate
      > the warmer inside?
      >
      > If I use a pad and a 30F bag, will that be enough? a 20F bag?
      >
      > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
      >
      > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym with the Supershelter System
      > Clark-North American
      > Clark-Tropical (for the lighter weight, and maybe I can make something
      > to keep the bottom warm in winter.)
      >
      > I'm leaning toward the Clark-North American because of the more
      > adjustable bug screen and rain guard(for warmth)
      >
      > If there are any other 4 season hammocks out there let me know. I'm
      > not claustrophobic but, those PeaPod type things seem a bit much.
      >
      > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs. Located in Northeast Ohio.
      >
      > Does anyone know a hammock dealer around Cleveland?
      >

      > Adam

    • Arye P. R.
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 13, 2008
        Since the weather usually comes here from the west/ south & north 'Lake Effect' snow doesn't happen here as much as it does to Northern Indiana, Michigan State and points East of Lake Michigan. This is because there aren't major bodies of water to the west to feed the snow. The most apparent and often 'Lake Effect' is during the summer as it is 'cooler by the lake' (up to 1mi inland) and in the winter it is warmer by the lake (~5-10 degrees).

        still no overnight camping on the lakefront or in anywhere I know of in the metro area (25-35 mile radius from downtown) though. But there are lots of out of the way forested areas where you cant be seen.

        weight 100grams (g) = ~3.5 ounces 1/2 an ounce short of a 1/4 pound (a nice sandwich)
        Liquid 1 cup / 8oz = about 1/4 liter (L) 250milliliter (ml) actual
        distance 1Km = .6 mi This also applies to MPH vs. KPH
        10Km = 6 mi
        100Km = 60 mi

        Sapere Aude,
        Arye P. Rubenstein