Re: [Hammock Camping] Which hammock and bag for cold and warm weather?

  • Blake Robert
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 7, 2008
      One sleeping bag which is also a hammock is the Panda.
      It is supposed to be good down to +8 degrees but I
      would not trust that figure w/o carrying a pad to go
      in the sleeve between the sleeping bag and the
      hammock. If they had thought to put the bottom
      insulation below the hammock instead of at the bottom
      of the sleeping bag.......

      I plan to get one of these myself....next year. If
      nothing else-this seems to be the cheapest top zipper
      sleeping bag available these days. If you use a side
      zipper bag in a hammock and nature calls-you always
      seem to have your weight on the zipper and when you
      try to sit up in the hammock to take your weight off
      the zipper you run into the bug net.

      I bought a second Hennessy Hammock w/o a bug net so
      that I may be able to sit up enough to get the weight
      off the zipper. If that doesn't work...Panda time. I
      just don't like their weight.

      Go to ebay and search with the search terms: Panda
      hammock sleeping bag.

      Hopefully, someone will thoroughly test one of these
      both as a hammock and as a top zipper sleeping bag in
      a hammock.

      RB

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 13, 2008
        Since the weather usually comes here from the west/ south & north 'Lake Effect' snow doesn't happen here as much as it does to Northern Indiana, Michigan State and points East of Lake Michigan. This is because there aren't major bodies of water to the west to feed the snow. The most apparent and often 'Lake Effect' is during the summer as it is 'cooler by the lake' (up to 1mi inland) and in the winter it is warmer by the lake (~5-10 degrees).

        still no overnight camping on the lakefront or in anywhere I know of in the metro area (25-35 mile radius from downtown) though. But there are lots of out of the way forested areas where you cant be seen.

        weight 100grams (g) = ~3.5 ounces 1/2 an ounce short of a 1/4 pound (a nice sandwich)
        Liquid 1 cup / 8oz = about 1/4 liter (L) 250milliliter (ml) actual
        distance 1Km = .6 mi This also applies to MPH vs. KPH
        10Km = 6 mi
        100Km = 60 mi

        Sapere Aude,
        Arye P. Rubenstein