Re: [Hammock Camping] Which hammock and bag for cold and warm weather?

  • jack_tier
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 7, 2008
      Welcome to the hanging gang... or at least considering to hang.

      Check out www.hammockforums.net . there are hundreds of us over
      there...Tons of experiance.

      Pan/Jack

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ian toal <powersurj2002@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Adam,
      >
      > First off, enjoy you travels and if you can, share a few stories
      with us about where you go. I've always loved hearing about other
      people traveling.

      > As far as hammocks go, I have a Clark NA and have used it in both
      winter and summer camping. I've been down to 5 degrees F and up to
      the mid 70's and have found it to be very versatile and
      comfortable.

      > In colder environments you will want a pad or CCF underneath you
      but the pockets on the Clark are very useful for adding an extra
      layer of protection from wind and cold. They are also great for
      storing gear and keeping mosquitoes away. I've found that it is
      better to have a bag rated for the coldest you expect to be in, so a
      15 degree bag may be a good choice. From my days of ground camping,
      it really is tough to be cold all night. I've also found the Clark
      to be a comfortable seat when I'm cooking in the winter or making
      some tea before bed.

      > I've found that being off the ground removes a huge source of heat
      loss, as long as you block the wind at the temps you'll be in I
      think you'll find a hammock much warmer than a tent and I've slept
      in both in the winter.

      > As far as going with the Clark tropical, I am working on a fleece
      and survival blanket set up that I am hoping to test this month. If
      it works I'll post it on the group site. I'm sure that something
      can be set up but keep in mind the extra size a weight of anything
      you make.

      > Thanks for asking,
      >
      > Ian
      >
      > blueduck600 <blueduck600@...> wrote:
      Hi everyone,

      > I'm looking for advice on what hammock to buy, and what temp
      sleeping
      > bag to use.
      >
      > I'm new at this hammock camping thing and camping in general
      really.
      > The only camping I've done is campground camping, with showers,
      > toilets, and running water, aka "not real camping."
      >
      > My goal is be able to hop on a plane and go camp in whatever part
      of
      > the americas I happen to feel like, preferably out of earshot of
      any
      > car traffic, and drunk campers. And I'm going to do it out of a
      single
      > FAA approved carryon bag.(a MEI Trekker 1)
      >
      > I'm buying a camping hammock because frankly, there's no way my
      back
      > can handle more than one night sleeping on the ground.
      >
      > At this point the coldest I think I'll ever camp in is 15F (night
      temp).

      > How much warmer does the hammock keep you? Does the cold bottom
      negate
      > the warmer inside?
      >
      > If I use a pad and a 30F bag, will that be enough? a 20F bag?
      >
      > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
      >
      > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym with the Supershelter System
      > Clark-North American
      > Clark-Tropical (for the lighter weight, and maybe I can make
      something
      > to keep the bottom warm in winter.)
      >
      > I'm leaning toward the Clark-North American because of the more
      > adjustable bug screen and rain guard(for warmth)
      >
      > If there are any other 4 season hammocks out there let me know.
      I'm
      > not claustrophobic but, those PeaPod type things seem a bit much.
      >
      > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs. Located in Northeast Ohio.
      >
      > Does anyone know a hammock dealer around Cleveland?
      >
      > Adam

    • Arye P. R.
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 13, 2008
        Since the weather usually comes here from the west/ south & north 'Lake Effect' snow doesn't happen here as much as it does to Northern Indiana, Michigan State and points East of Lake Michigan. This is because there aren't major bodies of water to the west to feed the snow. The most apparent and often 'Lake Effect' is during the summer as it is 'cooler by the lake' (up to 1mi inland) and in the winter it is warmer by the lake (~5-10 degrees).

        still no overnight camping on the lakefront or in anywhere I know of in the metro area (25-35 mile radius from downtown) though. But there are lots of out of the way forested areas where you cant be seen.

        weight 100grams (g) = ~3.5 ounces 1/2 an ounce short of a 1/4 pound (a nice sandwich)
        Liquid 1 cup / 8oz = about 1/4 liter (L) 250milliliter (ml) actual
        distance 1Km = .6 mi This also applies to MPH vs. KPH
        10Km = 6 mi
        100Km = 60 mi

        Sapere Aude,
        Arye P. Rubenstein