Big Frog trip

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2003
      Hy Guys

      I thought I might ort to get the truth in first before any of the
      other guys on the trip might mislead yall.

      Paul Bucca, Cain Foster, Cody (my son) and myself met Dave Womble at
      the Wolf Ridg Trailhead yesterday morning about 10 Am CST. We
      quickly introduced ourselves and talked a little stradigy and headed
      up the trail. A quick note about the trail. It starts at 1700 ft
      elevation and 4.5 miles later sumits at 4200 ft. There were very few
      flat places headed up and the highr on the trail we got the thicker
      the brush on the sides of the trail became. As usual I quickly
      asuumed my position in the rear to possibly aid any stragglers and
      watch for any gear which might be lost by the leaders. (I could then
      determine its worth before tracking down the owners) We took a few
      brakes but not enough. Everyone was sweating but I looked like I'd
      been swimming. Anyways I developed a "rash" shortly befor summiting
      from sweating too much. This slowed my progress even more. Also I
      was carying the food and cooking gear for my 3 and was intentionally
      packing a little heavier than I normally do. My pack weighed 32
      lbs.

      When we got to the top around 2:30 CST we quickly decided the
      camping area was too grown up. The brush just beyond the central
      firering area was about waist deep in brush. Bugs were thick.
      Everyone but me hiked down to the spring to check the water supply.
      I had to guard the packs from possible wild hog or bear attack. Then
      we decided to hike about a mile further, past the spring on Lick Log
      Trail to a more open campsite.

      We hung all the hammocks and 3 people took a short nap. I was too
      tired to take a nap. Bugs were not real bad at this camping area.
      We built a small fire to discourage any bugs but a breeze picked up
      and pretty much ran them off anyways. We all looked at the hammocks
      and other gear. Pauls Adventure Racer won the lightweight prize.
      Dave has a really nice double bottom speer type hammock. He had the
      least trouble staying on his pad. However, nobody had any trouble
      staying on thier pad I don't think. It is a little trouble getting
      situated sometimes though. I was using my early winters bag with
      built in Ther-ma-Rest and it is really suited for hammocking. It
      did not get too cool but cool enough to need a light pad. Without a
      thermometer to say for sure I guees it got down to around 65 deg.
      It was cool enough I enjoyed my fleece jacket right before bedtime.
      The boys went to bed before dark (about 7:30 PM CST) and the old
      guys toughed it out till dark (about 8:45 CST) swapping tall tales
      before turning in.

      The next morning we all got up shortly after sunrise around 5:30
      AM. We all reported sleeping soundly all night except for a few
      moments when a noise or natures call interupted sleep. After
      breakfast we packed and were back on the trail down around 7:30 AM.
      The hike back was a different route starting on Big Frog Trail then
      down Big Creek Trail. The summer foilage prevented real good views
      of the ridge but the trail was nice to begin with. However right
      before the turn off Big Frog onto Big Creek we were afforded a nice
      view. We stopped for the photo opp and to rest a minute. As we
      were standing there chatting Paul caught something out of the corner
      of his eye. About 10 feet further down the tral was a big rattle
      snake sunning himslef. He/She was facing our way. Had we not
      stopped I'm not sure what would have happened. Thankfull Paul saw
      him in time and after a few pics we shooed him off the trail. There
      was a garte snake not 10 more feet down the trail. We all just said
      hello and passed without digging out cameras. I'll bet the garter
      snake felt slighted. The Big Creek Trail is rough for most of the
      way down untill it hits theflatter section of the creek. we all
      slipped and slid our way down. I had to stop and dig rocks out of
      my sandals several time. But even the trail runners were not rock
      proof. I witnessed one hiker (Dave) removing shoes to extract a
      rock.

      Right befor we got to the trail head we stopped at the creek to cool
      our feet. I was developing a warm spot on my uphill side foot. I
      decided to get in and cool off more completly but the water was too
      cold to enjoy it much. Cody went ahead of us and jogged after my
      truck about 2 miles up the road. he actuall got back at the Big
      Creek parking lot about 5 minutes before Paul, David and I emerged
      from the woods at 11:30 AM CST.

      All in all it was a great hike but ended to quickly. I learned one
      valuable lesson from the trip. I need to plan hikes with younger
      guys in better shape (better as in rounder like me). The hike up the
      mountain was fun but i would have enjoyed it much better with a few
      lees lbs on my back and around my middle.

      Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2003
        Message
        Sounds like a good trip Coy; 5 hammock hangers makes quite a group anytime. Thanks for the trip report....Ed

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 25, 2003
          For those that are interested, I posted high resolution photos of the
          rattle snake in the PHOTOS section of the BIG FROG WILDERNESS
          folder. It is difficult to find the snake in the smaller low-
          resolution photos, they are hard to spot when they are in
          grass/leaves and aren't moving.

          Youngblood
        • robi dawson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 25, 2003
            Hi everybody,

            frustrated with a friend who says hammocks just cannot be comfortable and
            that camping in one is ridiculous i set out to prove him wrong.

            Discussing the up coming week long camp we will be at he told me there is
            no way he or his son could sleep in a hammock. Tents are bad enough, forget
            about hammocks. he was resigned to his son sleeping very little and not
            well at the camp.

            My son and I grabbed a bed spread, placed it on the floor, asked Pisti, my
            friends son, to lay on it. We gathered up the ends and picked him up. We
            tried to have the darn thing hanging as close to optimal hammock hanging as
            possible and he said it was great. so the father took over for Aron and we
            set up the *hammock* on the backs of two chairs, sitting in the chairs we
            held on to the material. Pisti actually slept, well, started taking his
            afternoon nap . We could not hold on very long, he was in it sg like 15
            minutes.

            This test was enough to convince the father that hammocks rock.

            now, if i can score good material what about sewing one by hand?

            I know it sounds crazy but i have not machine yet and i was thinking of
            sewing one for Pisti for the upcoming trip! Heck if i can sew fast enough i
            might even make one for Aron. Both kids are light so i think the stitching
            would hold... for me and my fat butt, well, 100 kg is more than i would
            want to risk in a hand sewn hammock.

            robi
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2003
              here is another photo of the snake for anyone who cares. it is 004
              in the same Big Frog folder. I did not take many good pics. Sorry

              Coy Boy

              > For those that are interested, I posted high resolution photos of
              the
              > rattle snake in the PHOTOS section of the BIG FROG WILDERNESS
              > folder. It is difficult to find the snake in the smaller low-
              > resolution photos, they are hard to spot when they are in
              > grass/leaves and aren't moving.
              >

              > Youngblood
            • robi dawson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 26, 2003
                younblood.

                i checked out the snakes... cool.. i could not see it in the first picture but the second two, nice... of course i am always nervous around snakes... too many silly movies when i ws a kid i guess....

                thanks for the pictures.

                robi

                At 03:04 AM 6/27/03 +0000, you wrote:
                here is another photo of the snake for anyone who cares.  it is 004
                in the same Big Frog folder.  I did not take many good pics.  Sorry

                Coy Boy

                > For those that are interested, I posted high resolution photos of
                the
                > rattle snake in the PHOTOS section of the BIG FROG WILDERNESS
                > folder.  It is difficult to find the snake in the smaller low-
                > resolution photos, they are hard to spot when they are in
                > grass/leaves and aren't moving.
                >

                > Youngblood

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                843a4.jpg
                8447e.jpg

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
                  wrote:
                  > younblood.
                  >
                  > i checked out the snakes... cool.. i could not see it in the first
                  picture
                  > but the second two, nice... of course i am always nervous around
                  snakes...
                  > too many silly movies when i ws a kid i guess....
                  >
                  > thanks for the pictures.
                  >
                  > robi

                  Thanks Robie. In the first picture, he is hard to spot but he is in
                  the center of the photo. It is a good thing to be a little nervous
                  around snakes, especially ones like this. However, they are not
                  monsters out to 'get you', they are really quite beautiful if you are
                  not extemely afraid of them. I worry about them a little more than I
                  did before I started using a hammock, since I seem to spend a little
                  more time in the brush. With a hammock I usually set up where tents
                  have not been and in the southeast that pretty much means low
                  brush/grassy areas during leaf-out season.

                  Youngblood
                • robi dawson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
                    youngblood,

                    i forgot in my early post that i nearly stepped on a snake when hiking in Utah when i was 13 or so. same weekend some rock climber in Utah put his hand up on a ledge to pull himself up and got bit.. combined with silly movies this stuff scared the begeezus out of me....

                    snakes in and of themselves are actually cool animals. would love to have a pet one.. but out in the wild i just nervous i might step on one....

                    Webbing...

                    donation one material wise arrived today... enough nylon for a hammock and maybe a fly or two kids sized hammocks, have to measure the kids/material....

                    i went out to see what i could buy for guide lines and webbing... the only thing i could find webbing wise that holds more than 150 pounds is either very, very expensive, and about 1 inch... it holds up to a ton they say.. or stuff that is just over 1.75 inches and cheap. so i bought that but man does it seem bulky... could the thinner, costlier stuff prove to be that much more compact?

                    what exactly is grosgrain? i need to come up with sg for the fly - could it be left out? i assume that would jeopardize durability of the fly....

                    now all i got to do is find a sewing machine to use or sew by hand.... and i want to sleep in this thing tomorrow...
                    wrote:
                    > younblood.
                    >
                    > i checked out the snakes... cool.. i could not see it in the first
                    picture
                    > but the second two, nice... of course i am always nervous around
                    snakes...
                    > too many silly movies when i ws a kid i guess....
                    >
                    > thanks for the pictures.
                    >
                    > robi

                    Thanks Robie.  In the first picture, he is hard to spot but he is in
                    the center of the photo.  It is a good thing to be a little nervous
                    around snakes, especially ones like this.  However, they are not
                    monsters out to 'get you', they are really quite beautiful if you are
                    not extemely afraid of them.  I worry about them a little more than I
                    did before I started using a hammock, since I seem to spend a little
                    more time in the brush.  With a hammock I usually set up where tents
                    have not been and in the southeast that pretty much means low
                    brush/grassy areas during leaf-out season.

                    Youngblood

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    1e43790.jpg
                    1e43835.jpg