Re: [Hammock Camping] Which hammock and bag for cold and warm weather?

  • eilismaura@aol.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 6, 2008
      As much as I am looking forward to trying hammock camping I have to admit
      that sleeping on the floor/ground has been good for my back (as with anything -
      it depends on what is the problem - I have multiple herniations).

      I am interested in some of the answers - the end of the month I am going
      'cabin camping' with our Boy Scout troop - and as the only woman scheduled to go I
      may literally end up out in the cold to be compliant with youth protection
      rules.

      Ohh - I do have a suggestion - think tyvek as a light weight addition for
      keeping warm - I used some this past November to supplement gear I had and I LOVE
      it.

      In a message dated 2/6/08 10:08:40 PM, blueduck600@... writes:

      > I'm buying a camping hammock because frankly, there's no way my back
      > can handle more than one night sleeping on the ground.

    • Arye P. R.
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 13, 2008
        Since the weather usually comes here from the west/ south & north 'Lake Effect' snow doesn't happen here as much as it does to Northern Indiana, Michigan State and points East of Lake Michigan. This is because there aren't major bodies of water to the west to feed the snow. The most apparent and often 'Lake Effect' is during the summer as it is 'cooler by the lake' (up to 1mi inland) and in the winter it is warmer by the lake (~5-10 degrees).

        still no overnight camping on the lakefront or in anywhere I know of in the metro area (25-35 mile radius from downtown) though. But there are lots of out of the way forested areas where you cant be seen.

        weight 100grams (g) = ~3.5 ounces 1/2 an ounce short of a 1/4 pound (a nice sandwich)
        Liquid 1 cup / 8oz = about 1/4 liter (L) 250milliliter (ml) actual
        distance 1Km = .6 mi This also applies to MPH vs. KPH
        10Km = 6 mi
        100Km = 60 mi

        Sapere Aude,
        Arye P. Rubenstein