Which hammock and bag for cold and warm weather?

  • blueduck600
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 6, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I'm looking for advice on what hammock to buy, and what temp sleeping
      bag to use.

      I'm new at this hammock camping thing and camping in general really.
      The only camping I've done is campground camping, with showers,
      toilets, and running water, aka "not real camping."

      My goal is be able to hop on a plane and go camp in whatever part of
      the americas I happen to feel like, preferably out of earshot of any
      car traffic, and drunk campers. And I'm going to do it out of a single
      FAA approved carryon bag.(a MEI Trekker 1)

      I'm buying a camping hammock because frankly, there's no way my back
      can handle more than one night sleeping on the ground.

      At this point the coldest I think I'll ever camp in is 15F (night temp).

      How much warmer does the hammock keep you? Does the cold bottom negate
      the warmer inside?

      If I use a pad and a 30F bag, will that be enough? a 20F bag?

      The hammocks I'm looking at are:

      Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym with the Supershelter System
      Clark-North American
      Clark-Tropical (for the lighter weight, and maybe I can make something
      to keep the bottom warm in winter.)

      I'm leaning toward the Clark-North American because of the more
      adjustable bug screen and rain guard(for warmth)

      If there are any other 4 season hammocks out there let me know. I'm
      not claustrophobic but, those PeaPod type things seem a bit much.

      I'm 6'2" 185 lbs. Located in Northeast Ohio.

      Does anyone know a hammock dealer around Cleveland?

      Adam
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 13, 2008
        Since the weather usually comes here from the west/ south & north 'Lake Effect' snow doesn't happen here as much as it does to Northern Indiana, Michigan State and points East of Lake Michigan. This is because there aren't major bodies of water to the west to feed the snow. The most apparent and often 'Lake Effect' is during the summer as it is 'cooler by the lake' (up to 1mi inland) and in the winter it is warmer by the lake (~5-10 degrees).

        still no overnight camping on the lakefront or in anywhere I know of in the metro area (25-35 mile radius from downtown) though. But there are lots of out of the way forested areas where you cant be seen.

        weight 100grams (g) = ~3.5 ounces 1/2 an ounce short of a 1/4 pound (a nice sandwich)
        Liquid 1 cup / 8oz = about 1/4 liter (L) 250milliliter (ml) actual
        distance 1Km = .6 mi This also applies to MPH vs. KPH
        10Km = 6 mi
        100Km = 60 mi

        Sapere Aude,
        Arye P. Rubenstein