Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Superstitions hike anyone???????

  • Blake Robert
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 6, 2008
      Thanks for the input MS Bridgman, Jamie, and billybob
      !!!!!

      To MS Bridgman---use a search engine and the name "Ron
      Bridgman" and UAAC as your search terms. Strange that
      there is so little online about a person who saved the
      National Speleogical Society from fading away. But,
      that was over 40 years ago.

      It is a small world online. One book I sold on
      amazon.com went to someone named Butterbaugh. My
      father's best naval aviation friend was Johnny
      Butterbaugh---a fellow chief at the end of the war who
      accepted a "promotion" to ensign after the war when
      enlisted pilots started to be phased out. The
      Butterbaugh who bought the book claims all
      Butterbaughs are related.

      Another book I sold went to a professor in California
      named Lougee. One of our hikers is named Lougee. As it
      turns out---all Lougees are descended from Huguenots
      who fled France after the St. Bartholomew's Day
      Massacre-settled on the Isle of Jersey for a few
      generations (where my ancestors lived) then came to
      America in the 1600's.

      Jamie: the one place I have never been (besides the
      Frog Tank Trail) is Reed's Water on Coffee Flat Trail
      past Dripping Spring. I would like to camp there the
      night before I go to Peralta Trailhead to meet the
      rest of the group and replenish supplies. If I found
      the area unsuitable for hammock camping---I was going
      to retreat back to the Dripping Spring area. I know
      there are nice trees in the Red Tank area. I spent a
      lot of time here when I was updating ARIZONA TRAILS by
      David Mazel into SOUTHERN ARIZONA TRAILS by both of
      us. If you think backpacking is enjoyable---try tax
      deductible backpacking.

      Can you tell me is Reed's Water is suitable for
      hammock camping, please????

      billybob---your neighborhood around Chesire is one of
      my favorite areas for yardsales----I even bought a Red
      Chinese twin lens reflex there for $7. The seller
      thought no one would know what it was. When I picked
      it up---looked at the Chinese characters, and asked,
      "Is this a Chinese Seagull TLR????" she looked dizzy!

      Can you tell me if those two streets in your old
      neighborhood, Eddy St. and Nelson St. are named after
      Nelson Eddy---the movie star????

      After passing Reavis Ranch you get into nice
      ponderosa-but, they are singed a bit.

      Next fall I hope to hike to Reavis when the old
      orchard is producing ripe fruit to supplement what I
      can carry in and extend my stay!!!!!

      RB

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 23, 2008
        Thanks, wish I was there - than

        I guess being in the Midwest (Chicago), that is why we have have both flea markets and swap meets. The famous one here is the Maxwell Street Market which has been around for better than 100 years.

        Arye P. Rubenstein