Re: Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?

  • Nate
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
      Adam,
      My hammock is different than the ones you are looking at. However, I
      do one of two things with my pack. I either clip my pack to my
      support ropes with a carabiner or I just put in on the ground under my
      hammock. Someone would really have to have some guts to steal
      something out of your pack if it is directly under you!! When I am
      hammock camping I carry everything in a Gossamer gear G4 which if I
      wanted to, I could keep it inside my hammock. Hope this helps!

      Nate

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...>
      wrote:

      > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
      >
      > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
      > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
      > sleeping.
      >
      > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
      > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
      > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
      > could just sew a loop at the end.
      >
      > The main question is the hammock big enough to
      > accommodate a bag and me?
      >
      > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
      > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
      >
      > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
      >
      > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
      > Clark-North American
      > Clark-Tropical
      >

      > Thanks---Adam

      > Be a better friend, newshound, and

    • Scott
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
        No.... I don't think so. I am much smaller and don't even have room
        for my ultralite pack.

        You're better off hanging it on your ridgeline, or putting it under
        your hammock.
        --
        Scott
        If man made it, don't eat it!!!

        Quoting Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...>:

        > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
        >
        > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
        > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
        > sleeping.
        >
        > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
        > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
        > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
        > could just sew a loop at the end.
        >
        > The main question is the hammock big enough to
        > accommodate a bag and me?
        >
        > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
        > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
        >
        > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
        >
        > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
        > Clark-North American
        > Clark-Tropical
        >

        > Thanks---Adam

        > Be a better friend, newshound, and

      • ian toal
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
          Adam,
          You may want to look into making your own gear hammock. You could hank it right next to your hammock, under the tarp and if you really wanted come up with a way to lock, clip or tie your backpack to your gear hammock.

          I'm about your size and there is no way I could comfortable fit my backpack in with me.

          Enjoy,
          Ian

          Scott <scottm@...> wrote: No.... I don't think so. I am much smaller and don't even have room
          for my ultralite pack.

          You're better off hanging it on your ridgeline, or putting it under
          your hammock.
          --
          Scott
          If man made it, don't eat it!!!
          Never underestimate the wisdom of nature!!!
          www.POISONINGaNATION.com

          Quoting Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...>:

          > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
          >
          > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
          > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
          > sleeping.
          >
          > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
          > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
          > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
          > could just sew a loop at the end.
          >
          > The main question is the hammock big enough to
          > accommodate a bag and me?
          >
          > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
          > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
          >
          > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
          >
          > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
          > Clark-North American
          > Clark-Tropical
          >

          > Thanks---Adam

          > Be a better friend, newshound, and

        • blueduck600
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
            Its not that I'm expecting to be robed everywhere I go, I'm thinking
            more of: if I'm somewhere there's lots of people, someone simply
            walking off with my bag while I'm sleeping.

            I know I'm a bit paranoid, but when I mentioned the hammock idea to my
            friend who just spent a year in central america, it was the first
            thing she asked me.

            Thanks for the input folks. Keeping the bag inside sounds like a
            definite: probably not.

            Adam

            > On Feb 5, 2008 6:23 PM, Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
            > >
            > > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
            > > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
            > > sleeping.
            >

            > Where are you camping that crime is so rampant?
            >
            > If anyone (or anything toucheds anything attached to a hammock,
            you'll know
            > it.
            >
            > Like Mark says, try it, you'll see
            >
            > Ralph

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2008
              Hi Adam,

              I have a Hennessey Backpacker utralight a-sym--slightly smaller than the
              Explorer. I'm 5'3", but about your weight. I've learned that I really
              don't like to have anything else in the hammock with me. Sometimes,
              even the quilt is a hassle (which is why I almost immediately went for
              an underquilt). Things hooked on the ridgeline tend to slide down and
              bonk me on the head (and yes, I do know about and use the loops on the
              ends of the ridge lines).

              I also had one case where I had something hooked to my ridgeline with
              webbing. This created enough of an opening in the velcro to let in a
              large cricket. Let me tell you, I really do not have enough room inside
              my hammock for a cricket!

              As for knowing when something touches your hammock? You will definitely
              feel the slightest thing: acorns falling, birds landing and taking off,
              people tripping over your fly lines.

              CL

              Adam Woznicki wrote:
              > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
              >
              > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
              > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
              > sleeping.
              >
              > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
              > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
              > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
              > could just sew a loop at the end.
              >
              > The main question is the hammock big enough to
              > accommodate a bag and me?
              >
              > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
              > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
              >
              > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
              >
              > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
              > Clark-North American
              > Clark-Tropical
              >

              > Thanks---Adam

              Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
              Cara Lin Bridgman

              P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
              Longjing Sinjhuang
              Taichung County 434
              Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
            • hiker63876
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 9, 2008
                Hello Adam
                A few years ago there was a backpack security net on the market. It
                was a wire mesh net that was designed to wrap around internal frame
                backpacks and then be locked to prevent you pack from being tampered
                with while gong through airport baggage handling or if you wanted to
                drop your big pack for a quick side trip with a light day pack. I
                havn't seen on advertised lately, but somone else might have may know
                about it and can give you some advice on where to find it.
                If nothing else, try tying a short piece of black Spectra cord to
                your pack and the other end to the top of your hammock attachment set
                up. If they try to grab your pack an run the jerk will wake you up,
                and if they have enough speed and the cord is just long enoughn the
                stopping of the your pack in their posession should jerk them back
                and flat on their back.
                Then there is always "hanging" in a group, or Stealth Hanging.

                Hope I could help
                Mike Steward

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 9, 2008
                  It's called a PacSafe, among other names. It's still available here:
                  <http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=541>
                  and here
                  <http://www.casanovasadventures.com/catalog/travelgear/p920.htm> and
                  probably lots of other places.

                  I do not have one. In some places, a locked pack is the one that gets
                  examined (i.e. if there's nothing valuable inside, then why is it
                  locked?). In other places, the only packs left untouched are the locked
                  ones.

                  For traveling through Europe, this site
                  <http://www.hostelz.com/packing/what-to-pack.php> recommended locks that
                  fit through the pack's zipper tabs.