[Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Stands

  • Bill Keiser
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
      > . . . My biggest challenge is to find stakes
      > worthy of staying in the ground, or not breaking.
      >
      > scott

      see my diagram i posted a while back:
      (sharpstick photo folder if the link doesn't work)
      i thought i invented this setup but ralph pointed out that this is
      how circus tents are staked.
      i live in florida where we have a lot of loose sand. this basically
      uses a long primary stake that is itself guyed down from the top to a
      shorter one. this keeps the main stake from rotating and pulling
      straight out of the ground. (i use it a lot for large tarps that might
      have a lot of force on them, although i prefer to have small lines
      that will break before the tarp fails.)
      i think this system with a spiral dog stake as the secondary stake
      might hold up a hammock.
      btw, has anyone used single support poles with double guylines to
      hold up a hammock? it would be lighter carrying a single pole, but
      might be a bit unstable before your weight stabilizes it. a light line
      between the tops of the poles should apply enough tension on it to
      keep it in place.

      also see these threads:
      billy sharpstick
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
        How do you hook two together? Do you have any photo's?

        I imagine you connect them with a chain or something?
        --
        Scott
        If man made it, don't eat it!!!

        Quoting "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...>:

        > hi scott
        >
        > the 2 - 2x's in an X configuration work well. As for stakes I've
        > been using Dog Tie Out Stakes as seen at
        > <http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/travel-outdoors/stakes/>
        > either the spiral or winged stright ones
        > Im 350#s and they hold well with 2 at each end.
        >
        > Sapere Aude,
        > Arye P. Rubenstein
        >

        > Imagination is more important than knowledge...
        > It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
        >
        > Albert Einstein

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
          Scroll down on this page to see my setup:
          http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/

          I will try a piece of rebar, and an additional stake like in your
          photo and see how it works. I think I have a 20" piece of rebar, and
          a 16" spike. Maybe I will go to the hardware store tonight.
          --

        • eilismaura@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
            I would love more info on this