Re: [Hammock Camping] Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?

  • Mark Bayern
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
      Where are you hiking? Generally in the east and western areas of the
      US I end up putting all my food and 'smelly stuff' in a bag and
      hanging them high off a tree limb to keep the items from attracting
      bears. The bag I use for the bear bagging is the pack itself. (There
      are places out west that require you to put all your food in a
      bear-proof canister.) Hanging it high stops large animals from
      stealing it. If theft by human is a concern why hike in that area?

      I wouldn't try to put the pack in my hammock unless it was one of the
      frameless 'pillow case with straps' types. Examples are the the GVP
      G-4 and packs from Fanatic Fringe and Gossamer Gear.

      In a Hennessey I guess you could put the pack over the ridge line to
      keep it from joining you in the center of the hammock.

      The best way to find out is to try it. Go local one night -- hang in
      your backyard, or some other area near home.

      Mark
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
        On Feb 5, 2008 6:23 PM, Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...> wrote:

        > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
        >
        > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
        > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
        > sleeping.

        Where are you camping that crime is so rampant?

        If anyone (or anything toucheds anything attached to a hammock, you'll know
        it.

        Like Mark says, try it, you'll see

        Ralph

      • Nate
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
          Adam,
          My hammock is different than the ones you are looking at. However, I
          do one of two things with my pack. I either clip my pack to my
          support ropes with a carabiner or I just put in on the ground under my
          hammock. Someone would really have to have some guts to steal
          something out of your pack if it is directly under you!! When I am
          hammock camping I carry everything in a Gossamer gear G4 which if I
          wanted to, I could keep it inside my hammock. Hope this helps!

          Nate

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...>
          wrote:

          > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
          >
          > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
          > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
          > sleeping.
          >
          > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
          > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
          > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
          > could just sew a loop at the end.
          >
          > The main question is the hammock big enough to
          > accommodate a bag and me?
          >
          > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
          > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
          >
          > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
          >
          > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
          > Clark-North American
          > Clark-Tropical
          >

          > Thanks---Adam

          > Be a better friend, newshound, and

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
            No.... I don't think so. I am much smaller and don't even have room
            for my ultralite pack.

            You're better off hanging it on your ridgeline, or putting it under
            your hammock.
            --
            Scott
            If man made it, don't eat it!!!

            Quoting Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...>:

            > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
            >
            > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
            > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
            > sleeping.
            >
            > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
            > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
            > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
            > could just sew a loop at the end.
            >
            > The main question is the hammock big enough to
            > accommodate a bag and me?
            >
            > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
            > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
            >
            > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
            >
            > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
            > Clark-North American
            > Clark-Tropical
            >

            > Thanks---Adam

            > Be a better friend, newshound, and

          • ian toal
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
              Adam,
              You may want to look into making your own gear hammock. You could hank it right next to your hammock, under the tarp and if you really wanted come up with a way to lock, clip or tie your backpack to your gear hammock.

              I'm about your size and there is no way I could comfortable fit my backpack in with me.

              Enjoy,
              Ian

              Scott <scottm@...> wrote: No.... I don't think so. I am much smaller and don't even have room
              for my ultralite pack.

              You're better off hanging it on your ridgeline, or putting it under
              your hammock.
              --
              Scott
              If man made it, don't eat it!!!
              Never underestimate the wisdom of nature!!!
              www.POISONINGaNATION.com

              Quoting Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...>:

              > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
              >
              > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
              > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
              > sleeping.
              >
              > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
              > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
              > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
              > could just sew a loop at the end.
              >
              > The main question is the hammock big enough to
              > accommodate a bag and me?
              >
              > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
              > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
              >
              > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
              >
              > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
              > Clark-North American
              > Clark-Tropical
              >

              > Thanks---Adam

              > Be a better friend, newshound, and

            • blueduck600
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
                Its not that I'm expecting to be robed everywhere I go, I'm thinking
                more of: if I'm somewhere there's lots of people, someone simply
                walking off with my bag while I'm sleeping.

                I know I'm a bit paranoid, but when I mentioned the hammock idea to my
                friend who just spent a year in central america, it was the first
                thing she asked me.

                Thanks for the input folks. Keeping the bag inside sounds like a
                definite: probably not.

                Adam

                > On Feb 5, 2008 6:23 PM, Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
                > >
                > > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
                > > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
                > > sleeping.
                >

                > Where are you camping that crime is so rampant?
                >
                > If anyone (or anything toucheds anything attached to a hammock,
                you'll know
                > it.
                >
                > Like Mark says, try it, you'll see
                >
                > Ralph

              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 9, 2008
                  Hi Adam,

                  I have a Hennessey Backpacker utralight a-sym--slightly smaller than the
                  Explorer. I'm 5'3", but about your weight. I've learned that I really
                  don't like to have anything else in the hammock with me. Sometimes,
                  even the quilt is a hassle (which is why I almost immediately went for
                  an underquilt). Things hooked on the ridgeline tend to slide down and
                  bonk me on the head (and yes, I do know about and use the loops on the
                  ends of the ridge lines).

                  I also had one case where I had something hooked to my ridgeline with
                  webbing. This created enough of an opening in the velcro to let in a
                  large cricket. Let me tell you, I really do not have enough room inside
                  my hammock for a cricket!

                  As for knowing when something touches your hammock? You will definitely
                  feel the slightest thing: acorns falling, birds landing and taking off,
                  people tripping over your fly lines.

                  CL

                  Adam Woznicki wrote:
                  > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
                  >
                  > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
                  > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
                  > sleeping.
                  >
                  > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
                  > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
                  > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
                  > could just sew a loop at the end.
                  >
                  > The main question is the hammock big enough to
                  > accommodate a bag and me?
                  >
                  > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
                  > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
                  >
                  > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
                  >
                  > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
                  > Clark-North American
                  > Clark-Tropical
                  >

                  > Thanks---Adam

                  Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
                  Cara Lin Bridgman

                  P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                  Longjing Sinjhuang
                  Taichung County 434
                  Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
                • hiker63876
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 9, 2008
                    Hello Adam
                    A few years ago there was a backpack security net on the market. It
                    was a wire mesh net that was designed to wrap around internal frame
                    backpacks and then be locked to prevent you pack from being tampered
                    with while gong through airport baggage handling or if you wanted to
                    drop your big pack for a quick side trip with a light day pack. I
                    havn't seen on advertised lately, but somone else might have may know
                    about it and can give you some advice on where to find it.
                    If nothing else, try tying a short piece of black Spectra cord to
                    your pack and the other end to the top of your hammock attachment set
                    up. If they try to grab your pack an run the jerk will wake you up,
                    and if they have enough speed and the cord is just long enoughn the
                    stopping of the your pack in their posession should jerk them back
                    and flat on their back.
                    Then there is always "hanging" in a group, or Stealth Hanging.

                    Hope I could help
                    Mike Steward

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 9, 2008
                      It's called a PacSafe, among other names. It's still available here:
                      <http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=541>
                      and here
                      <http://www.casanovasadventures.com/catalog/travelgear/p920.htm> and
                      probably lots of other places.

                      I do not have one. In some places, a locked pack is the one that gets
                      examined (i.e. if there's nothing valuable inside, then why is it
                      locked?). In other places, the only packs left untouched are the locked
                      ones.

                      For traveling through Europe, this site
                      <http://www.hostelz.com/packing/what-to-pack.php> recommended locks that
                      fit through the pack's zipper tabs.