Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Stands

  • Arye P. R.
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
      hi scott

      the 2 - 2x's in an X configuration work well. As for stakes I've been using Dog Tie Out Stakes as seen at
      <http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/travel-outdoors/stakes/> either the spiral or winged stright ones
      Im 350#s and they hold well with 2 at each end.

      Sapere Aude,
      Arye P. Rubenstein

      It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

      Albert Einstein

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
        > . . . My biggest challenge is to find stakes
        > worthy of staying in the ground, or not breaking.
        >
        > scott

        see my diagram i posted a while back:
        (sharpstick photo folder if the link doesn't work)
        i thought i invented this setup but ralph pointed out that this is
        how circus tents are staked.
        i live in florida where we have a lot of loose sand. this basically
        uses a long primary stake that is itself guyed down from the top to a
        shorter one. this keeps the main stake from rotating and pulling
        straight out of the ground. (i use it a lot for large tarps that might
        have a lot of force on them, although i prefer to have small lines
        that will break before the tarp fails.)
        i think this system with a spiral dog stake as the secondary stake
        might hold up a hammock.
        btw, has anyone used single support poles with double guylines to
        hold up a hammock? it would be lighter carrying a single pole, but
        might be a bit unstable before your weight stabilizes it. a light line
        between the tops of the poles should apply enough tension on it to
        keep it in place.

        also see these threads:
        billy sharpstick
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
          How do you hook two together? Do you have any photo's?

          I imagine you connect them with a chain or something?
          --
          Scott
          If man made it, don't eat it!!!

          Quoting "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...>:

          > hi scott
          >
          > the 2 - 2x's in an X configuration work well. As for stakes I've
          > been using Dog Tie Out Stakes as seen at
          > <http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/travel-outdoors/stakes/>
          > either the spiral or winged stright ones
          > Im 350#s and they hold well with 2 at each end.
          >
          > Sapere Aude,
          > Arye P. Rubenstein
          >

          > Imagination is more important than knowledge...
          > It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
          >
          > Albert Einstein

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
            Scroll down on this page to see my setup:
            http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/

            I will try a piece of rebar, and an additional stake like in your
            photo and see how it works. I think I have a 20" piece of rebar, and
            a 16" spike. Maybe I will go to the hardware store tonight.
            --

          • eilismaura@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
              I would love more info on this