Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?

  • Adam Woznicki
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
      Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?

      Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
      I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
      sleeping.

      I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
      order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
      hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
      could just sew a loop at the end.

      The main question is the hammock big enough to
      accommodate a bag and me?

      I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
      My backpack is 22"x14"x9"

      The hammocks I'm looking at are:

      Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
      Clark-North American
      Clark-Tropical

      Thanks---Adam

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Mark Bayern
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
        Where are you hiking? Generally in the east and western areas of the
        US I end up putting all my food and 'smelly stuff' in a bag and
        hanging them high off a tree limb to keep the items from attracting
        bears. The bag I use for the bear bagging is the pack itself. (There
        are places out west that require you to put all your food in a
        bear-proof canister.) Hanging it high stops large animals from
        stealing it. If theft by human is a concern why hike in that area?

        I wouldn't try to put the pack in my hammock unless it was one of the
        frameless 'pillow case with straps' types. Examples are the the GVP
        G-4 and packs from Fanatic Fringe and Gossamer Gear.

        In a Hennessey I guess you could put the pack over the ridge line to
        keep it from joining you in the center of the hammock.

        The best way to find out is to try it. Go local one night -- hang in
        your backyard, or some other area near home.

        Mark
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
          On Feb 5, 2008 6:23 PM, Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...> wrote:

          > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
          >
          > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
          > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
          > sleeping.

          Where are you camping that crime is so rampant?

          If anyone (or anything toucheds anything attached to a hammock, you'll know
          it.

          Like Mark says, try it, you'll see

          Ralph

        • Nate
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
            Adam,
            My hammock is different than the ones you are looking at. However, I
            do one of two things with my pack. I either clip my pack to my
            support ropes with a carabiner or I just put in on the ground under my
            hammock. Someone would really have to have some guts to steal
            something out of your pack if it is directly under you!! When I am
            hammock camping I carry everything in a Gossamer gear G4 which if I
            wanted to, I could keep it inside my hammock. Hope this helps!

            Nate

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...>
            wrote:

            > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
            >
            > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
            > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
            > sleeping.
            >
            > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
            > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
            > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
            > could just sew a loop at the end.
            >
            > The main question is the hammock big enough to
            > accommodate a bag and me?
            >
            > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
            > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
            >
            > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
            >
            > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
            > Clark-North American
            > Clark-Tropical
            >

            > Thanks---Adam

            > Be a better friend, newshound, and

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
              No.... I don't think so. I am much smaller and don't even have room
              for my ultralite pack.

              You're better off hanging it on your ridgeline, or putting it under
              your hammock.
              --
              Scott
              If man made it, don't eat it!!!

              Quoting Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...>:

              > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
              >
              > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
              > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
              > sleeping.
              >
              > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
              > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
              > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
              > could just sew a loop at the end.
              >
              > The main question is the hammock big enough to
              > accommodate a bag and me?
              >
              > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
              > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
              >
              > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
              >
              > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
              > Clark-North American
              > Clark-Tropical
              >

              > Thanks---Adam

              > Be a better friend, newshound, and

            • ian toal
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
                Adam,
                You may want to look into making your own gear hammock. You could hank it right next to your hammock, under the tarp and if you really wanted come up with a way to lock, clip or tie your backpack to your gear hammock.

                I'm about your size and there is no way I could comfortable fit my backpack in with me.

                Enjoy,
                Ian

                Scott <scottm@...> wrote: No.... I don't think so. I am much smaller and don't even have room
                for my ultralite pack.

                You're better off hanging it on your ridgeline, or putting it under
                your hammock.
                --
                Scott
                If man made it, don't eat it!!!
                Never underestimate the wisdom of nature!!!
                www.POISONINGaNATION.com

                Quoting Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...>:

                > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
                >
                > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
                > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
                > sleeping.
                >
                > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
                > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
                > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
                > could just sew a loop at the end.
                >
                > The main question is the hammock big enough to
                > accommodate a bag and me?
                >
                > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
                > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
                >
                > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
                >
                > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
                > Clark-North American
                > Clark-Tropical
                >

                > Thanks---Adam

                > Be a better friend, newshound, and

              • blueduck600
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
                  Its not that I'm expecting to be robed everywhere I go, I'm thinking
                  more of: if I'm somewhere there's lots of people, someone simply
                  walking off with my bag while I'm sleeping.

                  I know I'm a bit paranoid, but when I mentioned the hammock idea to my
                  friend who just spent a year in central america, it was the first
                  thing she asked me.

                  Thanks for the input folks. Keeping the bag inside sounds like a
                  definite: probably not.

                  Adam

                  > On Feb 5, 2008 6:23 PM, Adam Woznicki <blueduck600@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
                  > >
                  > > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
                  > > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
                  > > sleeping.
                  >

                  > Where are you camping that crime is so rampant?
                  >
                  > If anyone (or anything toucheds anything attached to a hammock,
                  you'll know
                  > it.
                  >
                  > Like Mark says, try it, you'll see
                  >
                  > Ralph

                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 9, 2008
                    Hi Adam,

                    I have a Hennessey Backpacker utralight a-sym--slightly smaller than the
                    Explorer. I'm 5'3", but about your weight. I've learned that I really
                    don't like to have anything else in the hammock with me. Sometimes,
                    even the quilt is a hassle (which is why I almost immediately went for
                    an underquilt). Things hooked on the ridgeline tend to slide down and
                    bonk me on the head (and yes, I do know about and use the loops on the
                    ends of the ridge lines).

                    I also had one case where I had something hooked to my ridgeline with
                    webbing. This created enough of an opening in the velcro to let in a
                    large cricket. Let me tell you, I really do not have enough room inside
                    my hammock for a cricket!

                    As for knowing when something touches your hammock? You will definitely
                    feel the slightest thing: acorns falling, birds landing and taking off,
                    people tripping over your fly lines.

                    CL

                    Adam Woznicki wrote:
                    > Is there room to store my backpack inside with me?
                    >
                    > Mainly I'm worried about something getting stolen, and
                    > I don't like the idea of hanging my bag outside while
                    > sleeping.
                    >
                    > I don't know if there's something to attach it to, in
                    > order to keep it from sliding to the middle of the
                    > hammock. But I don't think that would be a problem, i
                    > could just sew a loop at the end.
                    >
                    > The main question is the hammock big enough to
                    > accommodate a bag and me?
                    >
                    > I'm 6'2" 185 lbs
                    > My backpack is 22"x14"x9"
                    >
                    > The hammocks I'm looking at are:
                    >
                    > Hennessy Explorer Ultralite A-sym
                    > Clark-North American
                    > Clark-Tropical
                    >

                    > Thanks---Adam

                    Please note my new email address: caralinb@...
                    Cara Lin Bridgman

                    P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                    Longjing Sinjhuang
                    Taichung County 434
                    Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
                  • hiker63876
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 9, 2008
                      Hello Adam
                      A few years ago there was a backpack security net on the market. It
                      was a wire mesh net that was designed to wrap around internal frame
                      backpacks and then be locked to prevent you pack from being tampered
                      with while gong through airport baggage handling or if you wanted to
                      drop your big pack for a quick side trip with a light day pack. I
                      havn't seen on advertised lately, but somone else might have may know
                      about it and can give you some advice on where to find it.
                      If nothing else, try tying a short piece of black Spectra cord to
                      your pack and the other end to the top of your hammock attachment set
                      up. If they try to grab your pack an run the jerk will wake you up,
                      and if they have enough speed and the cord is just long enoughn the
                      stopping of the your pack in their posession should jerk them back
                      and flat on their back.
                      Then there is always "hanging" in a group, or Stealth Hanging.

                      Hope I could help
                      Mike Steward

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 9, 2008
                        It's called a PacSafe, among other names. It's still available here:
                        <http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=541>
                        and here
                        <http://www.casanovasadventures.com/catalog/travelgear/p920.htm> and
                        probably lots of other places.

                        I do not have one. In some places, a locked pack is the one that gets
                        examined (i.e. if there's nothing valuable inside, then why is it
                        locked?). In other places, the only packs left untouched are the locked
                        ones.

                        For traveling through Europe, this site
                        <http://www.hostelz.com/packing/what-to-pack.php> recommended locks that
                        fit through the pack's zipper tabs.