Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Stands

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
      Yes, that seems to be the way to go. I have an HH and my fly connects
      right to my straps, and I typically don't put it any higher. However,
      having the option to do so is attractive.
      --
      Scott
      If man made it, don't eat it!!!

      Quoting Dar <rigpilot@...>:

      > Shorter Ridgepole Pipes
      >
      > If your supply store has 6' long pipe, you can easily exchange the
      > ridgepole parts A) and B) with two 6' pipe lengths and thus eliminate
      > the hassle of the 10' long pipe in the ridgepole described above.
      > Likewise, you could make the uprights (part C) with 6' lengths instead
      > of the 5' lengths used above--this would make the stand a bit over 6'
      > high, allowing the rain canopy to be positioned even higher for a
      > stand-up shelter!
      >

      > --- hacktorious <scottm@...> wrote:
      >
      > [snip]
      >
      >> Also, in regards to the pipe hammock:
      >> http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm
      >>
      >> I notice there is a 10' pole to be used on the top (ridge pole). Is
      >> it possible to use several sections of pipe threaded together instead
      >> of a single length of pipe? It would be much easier to transport in
      >> my Honda Civic

      > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

    • Arye P. R.
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 5, 2008
        hi scott

        the 2 - 2x's in an X configuration work well. As for stakes I've been using Dog Tie Out Stakes as seen at
        <http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/travel-outdoors/stakes/> either the spiral or winged stright ones
        Im 350#s and they hold well with 2 at each end.

        Sapere Aude,
        Arye P. Rubenstein

        It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

        Albert Einstein

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
          > . . . My biggest challenge is to find stakes
          > worthy of staying in the ground, or not breaking.
          >
          > scott

          see my diagram i posted a while back:
          (sharpstick photo folder if the link doesn't work)
          i thought i invented this setup but ralph pointed out that this is
          how circus tents are staked.
          i live in florida where we have a lot of loose sand. this basically
          uses a long primary stake that is itself guyed down from the top to a
          shorter one. this keeps the main stake from rotating and pulling
          straight out of the ground. (i use it a lot for large tarps that might
          have a lot of force on them, although i prefer to have small lines
          that will break before the tarp fails.)
          i think this system with a spiral dog stake as the secondary stake
          might hold up a hammock.
          btw, has anyone used single support poles with double guylines to
          hold up a hammock? it would be lighter carrying a single pole, but
          might be a bit unstable before your weight stabilizes it. a light line
          between the tops of the poles should apply enough tension on it to
          keep it in place.

          also see these threads:
          billy sharpstick
        • Scott
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
            How do you hook two together? Do you have any photo's?

            I imagine you connect them with a chain or something?
            --

            Quoting "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...>:

            > hi scott
            >
            > the 2 - 2x's in an X configuration work well. As for stakes I've
            > been using Dog Tie Out Stakes as seen at
            > <http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/travel-outdoors/stakes/>
            > either the spiral or winged stright ones
            > Im 350#s and they hold well with 2 at each end.
            >
            > Sapere Aude,
            > Arye P. Rubenstein
            >

            > Imagination is more important than knowledge...
            > It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
            >
            > Albert Einstein

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
              Scroll down on this page to see my setup:
              http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/

              I will try a piece of rebar, and an additional stake like in your
              photo and see how it works. I think I have a 20" piece of rebar, and
              a 16" spike. Maybe I will go to the hardware store tonight.
              --

            • eilismaura@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 6, 2008
                I would love more info on this